to cold to walk

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 1952Sniper, Mar 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1952Sniper

1952Sniper New Member

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (2/25/03 3:58:44 pm)
    to cold to walk
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Bout 3 miles out of town this morning I looked in the rearview mirror and wondered why it was foggy behind me. Another mile down the road I glanced at my temp guage that was pegged out on HOT. hmmm anti freeze and steam can look like fog through a dirty window.

I was a couple miles from home so said to hell with it and kept going, it was to cold and windy to walk.

Got a new thermostat, antifreeze and radiator hose which I changed in the freezing cold. I kinda hope I cracked a head or something so I have a good excuse to get rid of the POS.

The ignition control module went out of the wifes car a couple days ago. When it rains it pours

Ignorance is a crime in 49 states. In the other one it is bliss.

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/25/03 4:35:50 pm)
    Reply Re: to cold to walk
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sounds like ya kinda warmed 'er up pretty good, Pig -

Had a '76 Chev Suburban with the standard 350 engine that locked up the theromostat years ago. Didn't know it until the engine was so hot it quit running. Changed out the 'stat, recharged the cooling system and it never missed a lick afterwards. Sometimes, ya get lucky!
    "Keep Off The Ridgeline"

1952Sniper
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/25/03 4:47:47 pm)
    Reply | Edit Re: to cold to walk
    That's a strange coincidence, WP. Sunday my wife and I went out to work with the horse for a while. On the way there, her old '65 Chevy was making some funny sounds. First it was a hissing, then it started to sound like an electric motor going bad. And it was LOUD. I saw no steam, though, so I discounted the idea of it being the radiator. This old truck has no temperature gauge; just an idiot light that doesn't work.

Long story short, after the truck cooled down I cracked open the radiator and it was bone dry. I ended up adding about 2 gallons of 50/50 antifreeze/water mix to it. I think the strange noise I had heard was steam going through the water pump. Seems OK now though.

Sometimes it's hell driving an old truck. But, like old guns, I think they have more character. And I appreciate them more than the new ones that have no soul.
    Macht kaputt, was euch kaputt macht!

inplanotx
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/25/03 6:59:17 pm)
    Reply Re: to cold to walk
    Dang sniper, sounds like y'all steam cleaned the inside of that ole '65. Takes a lik'en, but keeps on ticken! Glad she didn't quit on y'all! Hmmmm.. 2 gallons of antifreeze.... man, you waz bone dry!!
    Improvise...Adapt...Overcome

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (2/25/03 7:32:30 pm)
    Re: to cold to walk
    I took it out and drove it just now. No overheating or leaking. No oil in the antifreeze or vice versa. The dang thing is going to keep going it looks like

Smokin Guns
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/25/03 7:36:58 pm)
    Reply Hey!
    Are ya talkin' about that ol' ford pickenup?...(Found on road dead)...

bullelk
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/25/03 7:42:01 pm)
    Reply Re: Hey!
    WP,
    You know what GM says. "LIKE A ROCK"

Glad you didn't have to walk, you're gettin to old for that crap.

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (2/25/03 7:49:40 pm)
    Re: Hey!
    It was my 87 Jeep Cherokee. It has a zillion oil leaks and what oil it don't leak blows out the PCV tube. She is pretty much wore out but still gets 18mpg and has 4x4 so I use it to bang around in. I should sell it. I would take $500 for it so it should be easy to sell (4x4=$$$ in winter) plus the A/C works

The Ford sits in back resting. If I get rid of the Jeep it will be my bang around truck. It runs and rides 100% better than the Jeep and is in better shape and has COLD A/C, cd player ect. I stopped driving it because of the fuel milage.

When you are fat like me you tend to like the A/C

First On Race Day

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.