The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I live in Virginia and have been trying to determine if I can legally sell three old antique firearms in our antique booth. So far I haven't been able to get a definitive answer from local authorities. Can anyone out there help me? The guns are from my personal collection but I don't want to keep them any longer. One is a percussion Kentucky long rifle from the 1800's, another is a percussion Hero derringer type pistol, and the third is a Whitneyville revolver from the 1870's (I think). I know the laws are kind of fuzzy in respect to the selling of guns, but if anyone has an answer I can rely on, I would really appreciate it!

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
You can take them to fire arm dealers and have them buy them or sell them on consignment. Cabela's will buy firearms straight out, or if you call a local firearms store they might have the answers that you seek, of course anything would have to be examined in person to get a ballpark price.
Or call or better yet visit the NRA museum they are right in your home state Virginia and they could have some answers for you, best case scenario would be they offer to buy them off of you to add to there own collection.:eek:

http://www.nramuseum.org/museums/national-firearms-museum.aspx

·
Super Moderator
38,396 Posts
Private gun sales without background checks are legal in Virginia. The only requirement is that both the seller and buyer are residents of the state in which the sale occurs.

This information came from a very quick internet search (duckduckgo) using the words "Virginia gun laws".

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You can take them to fire arm dealers and have them buy them or sell them on consignment. Cabela's will buy firearms straight out, or if you call a local firearms store they might have the answers that you seek, of course anything would have to be examined in person to get a ballpark price.
Or call or better yet visit the NRA museum they are right in your home state Virginia and they could have some answers for you, best case scenario would be they offer to buy them off of you to add to there own collection.:eek:

http://www.nramuseum.org/museums/national-firearms-museum.aspx
Thanks very much. I'm getting the feeling that it might not be a good idea to offer them for sale at the antique mall.

·
Premium Member
34,535 Posts
In my opinion, the Antique mall would be the perfect place to offer them for sale!
As long as she knows the true value of the guns.

·
Registered
15 Posts
In addition to what gdmoody has said, percussion muzzle loaders are not subject to federal firearms laws and neither are guns made before 1898.
That's what I have always heard, but a deputy raised the question of what if a felon purchased one of the firearms--even though antique, I don't think they're supposed to possess ANY firearm.

Private gun sales without background checks are legal in Virginia. The only requirement is that both the seller and buyer are residents of the state in which the sale occurs.

This information came from a very quick internet search (duckduckgo) using the words "Virginia gun laws".
Thank you....the only question I might have is what if the Virginia resident happened to be a felon--would that cause me any liability?

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Thank you....the only question I might have is what if the Virginia resident happened to be a felon--would that cause me any liability?
I would not want to take any chance.... with liability the owners of the antique mall might have there own policy on it, best check with them too.

·
Super Moderator
25,636 Posts
That's what I have always heard, but a deputy raised the question of what if a felon purchased one of the firearms--even though antique, I don't think they're supposed to possess ANY firearm.
That's the "catch". Even a felon can go into a gun store and buy a brand new muzzle loader. No background check .

·
Banned
1,909 Posts
In my opinion, the Antique mall would be the perfect place to offer them for sale!
I agree. A lot of people will buy them for a mantle piece or some other type of display.
You can still mail order percussion firearms and have them delivered straight to you without the need of a ffl.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I would not want to take any chance.... with liability the owners of the antique mall might have there own policy on it, best check with them too.
We are actually the store owners and so far this question hasn't come up, so we haven't had to establish a policy...........guess we will now!

That's the "catch". Even a felon can go into a gun store and buy a brand new muzzle loader. No background check .
True....and does that raise any liability questions or not? Who knows?

·
Registered
16,888 Posts
Unless Virginia law is very different from Florida in this case, there would be no problem.

Florida says, "cannot sell to someone I know to be ineligible".

To buy a gun in Florida, you must be 18 or older, a Florida resident, and not have a felony criminal record.

Man wanted to buy a gun from me. Florida law says that if you get a job in Florida, you have 10 days to become a Florida resident. He had worked with me for over 2 years, so he should be a resident. He also owned a house two blocks away from mine, so that would make him a resident. He was my age, within a year or two, so in his fifties.

I asked him, "You ever been to jail?"

He said no, so I sold him the gun. I found out later, after he was arrested for attempting to kill his wife, that he had a long felony record. I, however, had committed no crime, as I did not know he had the felony record. When I asked about his criminal record, he lied. I was in the clear. He bought the gun illegally, but I had not sold it illegally. He, not me, committed a crime.

·
Premium Member
3,818 Posts
My understanding is a out of state person can purchase a BP firearm in another state showing only ID to prove age. Residence does not enter into it as the are NOT classed as a firearm for purposes of the law. NO paperwork is required either. A close friend has bought several in other states when visiting. (this is where I have knowledge of this happening)

·
Junior Advanced Senior Member In Training
7,227 Posts
I would suggest you get in touch with an attorney in your state, as to give you advise to your liability if a person (felon) were to purchase your guns and committed an act of violence with them. It would: a.) give you fact rather then speculation, and b: ) give you peace of mind knowing you have the facts.
We are well versed in most gun laws, though we, with the exception of a few, are not lawyers. I could give you my thoughts on the matter, though they would not matter much were an unfortunate instance occur. "well, this guy on the internet said..." is not a good defense.

·
Super Moderator
25,636 Posts
My understanding is a out of state person can purchase a BP firearm in another state showing only ID to prove age. Residence does not enter into it as the are NOT classed as a firearm for purposes of the law. NO paperwork is required either. A close friend has bought several in other states when visiting. (this is where I have knowledge of this happening)
I bought a muzzleloader in Michigan, no identification, just cash and carry.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I would suggest you get in touch with an attorney in your state, as to give you advise to your liability if a person (felon) were to purchase your guns and committed an act of violence with them. It would: a.) give you fact rather then speculation, and b: ) give you peace of mind knowing you have the facts.
We are well versed in most gun laws, though we, with the exception of a few, are not lawyers. I could give you my thoughts on the matter, though they would not matter much were an unfortunate instance occur. "well, this guy on the internet said..." is not a good defense.
You have great points--I really appreciate your responses! I promise I wouldn't quote you or use your thoughts, but just out of curiosity, would you mind sharing your thoughts on the subject? If not, I certainly understand.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts