To those of you that "don't trust the Government" ( 1 2 )

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ruffitt, Feb 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ruffitt

ruffitt *TFF Admin Staff* In Heaven Now

polishshooter
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (10/9/01 11:58:27 pm)
    | Edit | Del All To those of you that "don't trust the Government"
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Lesson time, people.

I know many of you don't trust the government at all, and many times, especially recently, I didn't either.

Taxing me for "social programs," creating PC, all the while taking away my rights and freedoms, and creating wimps who worry about whether we need a law so every kid wears a helmet when they use a swing...

BUT there is a time we NEED the government. I don't know about you but I'm not sure I could AFFORD one B-2...or to support one grunt on KP duty for a month...

I sure DON'T think I can negotiate with Egypt for myself very well, or get Pakistan to let my one B-2 fly over...

I sure can't run my own lab to figure out exactly WHAT strain of anthrax I might need an antidote for, and oh yeah, make the antidote for me and my grunt, as well as my family...

Since I can't fight bugs or gas anyway, I need to send my B-2 to bomb them before they use it, damn, I need INTELLIGENCE for that...and I can't afford to hire even one private dick to go to maybe Germany, or Sudan, or Afghanistan to find who I should bomb or shoot...

My point is we NEED the government in time of war...always did, always will.

People think it was an innocent time in WWII, when people "trusted" their government.

Bullshit. They HAD to, just like we do now.

Are they gonna lie? I EXPECT them to, NOW! I have no "need to know," and hell, I have a big mouth, loose lips sink ships and all.

Churchill said, "Sometimes the truth is so precious, it must be protected by a bodyguard of lies."

That's good enough for me.

What am I saying? All you slightly paranoid friends of mine, I won't mention any names, (OK,like GP, LTS, and even TAC, ) HAVE to get over it. NOW.

We HAVE to be united behind our government, and yeah, even behind Tom Daschle and Hillary...I MEAN that.

AFTER it's over, we can "correct" things at the ballot box...Hell, England threw out Churchill even before VJ day...

But now, stay the fight. ANY dissent plays RIGHT into Trash Bin and Saddams hands.

You are naturally following your gut, not trusting them, coupled with uncertainty about ANYTHING to do with our safety, especially after having been kicked in the nuts on 9-11-01. I SURE didn't see it coming!

I respect that, but it doesn't change a thing. All we can do is stay vigilant, ready to help, do what we can to prepare ourselves and our family for what we CAN...remember "Victory Gardens?" "Scrap drives?" (That kind of stuff...)

And support your constitutional government.

You know how we got here?

Thank ALL your friends who once said "It's the Economy, Stupid!"

We all know better now, don't we?

"It's Foreign Policy and the Military, Stupid," we better not forget for a LONG time. HHhhmmm...isn't that what the constitution says is the MAIN thing the government is for?

And I think one good thing about now is, I don't think we Americans will for a long time....

We all NOW kinda see what's really important to us, and it AIN'T a "Patient's Bill of Rights," "Gun Control," or "Campaign Finance Reform..." or even "Social Security" or "welfare..."

It's Survival. As a nation, as a culture, as a "Free people."

Don't EVER forget...
    I'm so PROUD to be an AMERICAN...

Edited by: polishshooter at: 10/10/01 1:00:15 am

reedbuster
    V.I.P. Member
    (10/10/01 12:47:04 am)
    | Edit | Del Re: To those of you that "don't trust the Government&qu
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Polish,

I think your correct, we have to play the cards that are delt to us right now. My point wasn't to lead into a terrorist panic attack, my point was to ask where is the intelligence? I am upset that we as a nation have grown soft around the mid section. We seem to be first in line for everything. First to feed countries in need, First to protect countries in need and unfortunately, first to get kicked in the teeth. Those radicals don't hate us because of thier religion, they hate us for what we represent. Freedom, Equality, Justice. These qualities that make us Americans make us great! That is to say that the open discussion and pursuit of greatness puts us above those people. The idea of having to compete I think scares the hell out of them. That is why they rule the way they do. They don't like the idea of having to be better, they prefer holding the competition a bay by depriving them. I am sure as a nation we will get through this because we are a family, we might bicker and fight amongst each other but we will stand together as a family when threatened.

Thanks,
    Reed

the real fredneck
    V.I.P. Member
    (10/10/01 5:16:26 am)
    | Edit | Del Re: To those of you that "don't trust the Government&am
    and to think the founding fathers summed it up with, "to promote the general welfare and provide for the common defense"

Xracer
    (10/10/01 7:59:14 am)
    Absolutely right Polish!

Propaganda? You bet! But then, our nation was founded on propaganda. Anybody heard of Thomas Paine?

Disinformation? Of course. Even during the more innocent days of WWII, when Roosevelt was asked where the Doolittle Raiders took off from, his reply was "Shangra La" (the mythical kingdom in the James Hylton novel).

Secrecy? You'd better believe it! Obviously we can't tell our enemies our cababilities or intentions. We had a pretty good look into Bin Ladin's organization until some newspaper published a story on how the NSA was able to monitor their satellite phone transmissions.

Despite all this, we still live in the most free, the most open country on earth.....and I wouldn't have it any other way.

LIKTOSHOOT
    (10/10/01 8:50:59 am)
    Yadie-Yadie-Yadie, not only do I not trust them, neither does Bush, as seen by his statements yesterday. It is not me that runs to the gas station, or to by gas mask, ammo, guns, and food stores. Sorry Polish, it is not just the government, it`s the idiots too and they are the dangerous ones.....as they are the ones who create the panic and fear. Every little thing, sets this off....Bin Lardass is doing just as he promised and as bad as I hate to admitt it, seems to be doing a great job of terror. Think of the bucks we are expending, 24/7 fighter`s in the sky`s above us and the list goes on and on. In one day we are expending more money and manpower than all of the country that attacked us. They(taliban) could never do another thing and we would still be running around chasing our ass`s on any wierd thing that looks strange. They are laughing their ass`s off, a little knat from far away has caused this. It`s much like shooting a bug with a broadside of 16" guns. LTS
    America, we are the symbol of Freedom and Liberty......

Xracer
    (10/10/01 9:38:36 am)
    Yada...yada...yada...and your solution is?

LIKTOSHOOT
    (10/10/01 10:24:06 am)
    To live each day just as I did prior to the 11th.
    To hold the same values and beliefs as I did prior to the 11th.
    To be aware of my enviroment, just as I always have done.
    To do otherwise creates victory for the Taliban, I will not perticipate....nor will I wring my hands in fear and despair. If I should parish while doing so......at least I will have lived. The people who do otherwise contribute to the problem.......

BlackGun
    V.I.P. Member
    (10/10/01 10:49:37 am)
    LTS, I love you like a brother, and get the biggest kick out of all of your post, because they are usally so colorful & contraversal. Damn, son, ya finnaly said something that impressed me
    rules for survival: Sight alignment, Breath control, & Trigger Squeeze
    BlackGUN

Edited by: BlackGun at: 10/10/01 11:50:24 am

gpostal
    (10/10/01 11:42:42 am)
    polish i thought i saw my name in the title of this topic!

yes it is nice that our government has the things they do to do the job right ,but i wouldn't pat them on the back ,the money came from us ,we are the only super power in the world why???? the constitution ,it gives us the freedom to be America ,with out it we wouldn't be America , without it we wouldn't be anything more than Britain ,there for our government would not have the tax dollars they have , and to be what "we the people" have built ,no i don't trust our government ,but i wouldn't have it any other way

lts ,i agree live each day the same as before 9-11-01 ,i do because i was just as paranoid 9-10-01 ,now everybody else is catching up with me ,and i don't look so strange

i have had many phone calls and emails from friends wanting a space in my barn "just in case" ,who i know in the back of their minds always thought i was weird because of my fascination with guns ,{i don't do anything more than any of you here} ,but now they feel a little comfortable knowing me

LIKTOSHOOT
    (10/10/01 2:09:36 pm)
    ...and just one other thing too. In order for me to trust the Government just a little. Don`t avoid this question anymore:
    Are you burning the poppy fields?

This is the answer I expect: "Damn RIGHT!" we will burn them all to the ground and then some. They use this product to poison the world and fund terrorism around the world.....THOSE DAYS ARE OVER!! If you grow, expect a visit from Mr. Napalm. GOT IT!!!

BlackGun
    V.I.P. Member
    (10/10/01 3:04:24 pm)
    I won't get off into a debate about DEA, as I associate with the agency, I will be bold and say: Let's just say "my opinion" a lot of drug trafficing into the United States goes undetected through our shipping lanes (ports of entry) and small single engine air craft landing here in Texas at home made air fields. We have folks here who have become quite wealthy flying in narcotics to Billy Bob's 10,000 acre ranch in south Texas. I have seen such ranches where there is one way in and one way out and you have to drive for miles just to get to the strip.. Narcotics are then broken down and transported (OH let's say) by a tanker truck with a modified (sectioned) tanker trailer, so that unless intellegence has already been gathered the drugs can be sent undetected to another distribution point , where they are cut or broken down even further. This is organized crime and a zillion dollar investment (market) to beat the system. Some are caught, a lot more are not. Keep in mind how many drug dealers there are and the funding they have compared to the amount of DEA Agents we have and the budget they have to work with

Call me defensice, if you may, we try, but, we can't catch them all. It would be prudent to say that if the land in Afganisan will support such above the ground crops and we have knowledge (intellegence) of them, I feel comfortable that we, (our government) will destry those poppy fields.
    BlackGUN

Edited by: BlackGun at: 10/10/01 4:39:17 pm

NeoDebo
    V.I.P. Member
    (10/10/01 5:12:32 pm)
    Well, I watched the "one-worlder" Bush as he welcomed Lord George Robertson, Secretary General of Nato, today.

The U. S. Flag and the UN flag were displayed in the background. They alternated first one and then the other and the Nato flag was given equal billing with the U. S. Flag.

Trust our government.

Crap.

I wanted to puke.

polishshooter
    (10/11/01 12:19:55 am)
    Neo, STOP IT!

That's the CRAP I'm talking about!

Did we give "equal billing" last week to the Italian flag when the PM was visiting for Columbus Day?

YES, dammit, wake up!

NATO is OUR alliance. That for the FIRST time in History invoked the 5th. That has countries with resources we NEED in this war, like access to their BANKS and the capability for the FBI to work on their soil. One of the countries in the Alliance is ISLAMIC for God's sake. And a STRONG ally! The Icelandic Air Force (NATO) AWACS planes are now over the US, 'cause most of ours are in the Mid-east! Most of the terrorists lived and met in GERMANY and AUSTRIA.
    Many of the new members like poland and the czechs and the slovaks have intelligence on them from when they were Warsaw Pact, and most of the KGB money was funneled through the Bank of Prague!

Equal billing? Damn right...We CANNOT win this by ourselves, no matter WHAT you think...

And don't for a SECOND confuse "NATO" with the "UN..." that's where the "one world" bullshit paranoia comes from.

BUT, we are now paying some of our back debt to the UN too, are you going to go off on THAT too?

New world, New World WAR.

When paranoid narrow-minded people questioned Churchill on the new alliance with the USSR in '41, he replied "if he would declare war on the Nazis, I'd seriously talk to the devil himself..."

This is a friggen war for SURVIVAL, not only of America, but the entire free world, Neo, get with the program.

FORGET that divisive BS.

NeoDebo
    V.I.P. Member
    (10/11/01 12:28:31 am)
    Sorry, but I must disagree.

This war is not for survival. We could insure that in less than an hour by "glassing over" anyone/all who dared to challenge us.

This war is to insure the power and wealth of the rich and powerful. NATO and the UN are tools of these people.

...IMHO

polishshooter
    (10/11/01 12:36:21 am)
    Neo, sorry you feel that way, but you are flat-out WRONG.

Who are you going to Nuke, all 23 countries we've identified? Or just all of Afghanistan, even though we KNOW maybe a hundred thousand or so at most are even REMOTELY involved in this...and the rest are INNOCENT.

Geez, I can't believe you...Kill'em all, let God sort 'em out, right?

While we're at it, why not nuke EVERYTHING on that side of the ocean, leave NOBODY to piss you off...

What a FINE American ideal, so well thought out...

Explain to me just how that makes you ANY different from the slugs that did this to us?

Zigzag2
    (10/11/01 7:08:17 am)
    | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: To those of you that "don't trust the Government&am
    PolishShooter, I agree that this is a "New War", 1 of the likes we've never fought before. But is what Neo's saying complete nonsense, paranoia? I personally don't think so.
    Within the last month, our government and local agencies have grown by leaps and bounds with a higher awarness of attacks on our homeland. From what? from who? Radical Muslims? Terrorists? define Terrorist, that's a clintcher!
    Now with said, Neo isn't the only 1 wondering WTF is "truely" going on. Obviously we can not be privy to classified information, But, many of the known Terrorists have been under survailance for years and have simply slipped through our hands. Through the hands of those sworn to protect us.
    And why? because we as a Nation did not have the agreements between us to capture those on foriegn soil.
    So this is a good discussion. We still are the land of the free, lets not lose sight of what we have fought the fights for!
    Our Freedom!

TallTLynn
    (10/11/01 8:06:53 am)
    I see both sides of this coin - and trust me it is a coin. Heads you might win this particular battle but you could very well lose the war. Tails you could lose the battle but might win the long term war.

It is one thing to acknowledge we must give our government a chance and not expect to know everything they are doing in this time of war but we cannot allow them total free reign. The normal checks and balances on our government are being waived right and left due to the hysteria of the moment. That's not good for us in the long term because how sure are we that we will unvote them when the time comes? There are so many sheeple out there it could easily happen that every freedom traded away in this time of crisis for the sake of safety will become ironcast in virtually no time.

On the other hand I have to acknowledge that to some degree what are government is doing is making some sense. They can't tell us everything that is going on because that would be like handing all the information to those we are fighting against our plans on a silver platter.

It's a very fine line that both we as a people and are government are walking on this moment. It could definitely change how we as a nation of people live in the upcoming years.

So like NeoDebo I find it hard to want to give the government that much sweeping power because I also know that power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely.

gpostal
    (10/11/01 8:13:03 am)
    we can sit by our computer arguing on pure speculation , not one of us here knows more than the other about what is really going on or what will happen ,so why don't we wait till it is over to argue about things destroying the poppy fields ,

opinions are one thing trying to make your opinion a fact is another

polishshooter
    (10/11/01 9:40:22 am)
    BUT my main POINT is this is NEW! We're in ALMOST uncharted territory. I.e, pretty close to the "Barbary Pirates threat" in the late 18th, early 19th century, BUT they didn't have nukes, anthrax, or the ability to kill more people with box cutters than we had in our entire ARMY during the Revolution. And we were pretty WEAK when we set up that "world coalition..."

If you are NOT right now studying American and world history, military history, current military capabilities, of us AND the world, studying world affairs, reading up on Islam, reading and dissecting, absorbing, or challenging EVERY scrap of news, you are doing a BIG disservice to the Country, the Constitution, your neighbors AND yourselves.

WHY do you think most Americans are ignorant about History? Why do you think Americans don't think beyond their nose? Why do you think the traditional "American Cycle of War" has bit our butt AGAIN?

Because we are fat,dumb, and lazy, that's why. We needed to be doing that stuff every freakin DAY before this, but since we didn't, we elected self-serving idiots that made us feel good, that preached selfish "isolationism," "feel-good," "It's the economy stupid," BS instead of THINKING it through and doing the best thing for the COUNTRY, instead of just ourselves. And we've DONE it again and again, in times of "peace," for over 200 years!

Reciting tired the old crap that we did for the past 10-20-30 years, or 50-100-150 years, ("rich getting richer," we could end this in a minute, "one-worlders," close the borders, too many "furriners," "nuke 'em,""no blood for oil," "Killing Afghan babies won't bring back New York," [THAT should make you vomit!]) is not only ignorant, but IS another problem we face.

You have that opinion? FINE you're entitled.

But you'd BETTER have facts, facts that are thought OUT, and facts that fit in TODAY's situation, and whether they worked in the past, AND a better solution BEFORE you start "dissing" what's going on.

Discussions and alternatives are productive....

Negative pre-concieved notions just because you "don't trust the government, they're all crooks" makes you part of the PROBLEM, not the solution.

This discussion about freedom vs. security is a case in point. It's one we HAVE to have, HAVE to keep in mind, always have to remember....

BUT as I said earlier, and in other posts, American History is FULL of times where essential Constitutional liberties were ignored or suspended because of "larger" national security concerns. AND we survived, as well as those liberties.

I do NOT think we need to worry about "freedoms" temporarily lost during war....it's the ones we SURRENDER to political correctness or creeping socialism or political expediency during times of PEACE that have hurt us over the past 200+ years...

And the bottom line is, IF you are paying attention, who would have protected those freedoms better, Bush or Gore?

We need to do WHATEVER is necessary to PROTECT the CONSTITUTION. Period.

Anything to that end is OK. Even if "freedoms" must be temporarily suspended....

But I will NOT give up ONE DAMN thing just to make the ignorant "sheeple" "feel" safe.

But the "sheeple" WILL affect our future, AND the Constitution...

That's the rub.

So the options are clear. Either "educate" them, or lie to them, either way, doesn't matter.

We can help to educate them.

I am an OPTIMIST. Bush has the HIGHEST approval ratings for a President in HISTORY.

I think the "people" get it. What we were arguing so violently about only 1 month ago seems so petty, doesn't it?

Educate yourselves, then educate others. With the TRUTH, and only YOU can dig that out.

But THINK before you speak...we are not in "peacetime" anymore. So change your "peacetime" thinking...save it for when we WIN.

BlackGun
    V.I.P. Member
    (10/11/01 9:40:23 am)
    Once a point in time, when I was a youngl school boy, I lived in a town, let's call my town the U.S.A.. There was a boy in a neighboring town, let's call his town a foreighn country. Now me and this boy never saw eye to eye about anything, we were not friends, as a matter of fact we didn't like each other at all. We never had kind words for each other, we even thought about fighting from time to time, we were on rival football teams and always thought our team was better than the others team. But one day, this bully come over to my house, from even another town and beats me up and the boy in the neighboring town heard that I got injured when I got hit blind sided without warning. That pissed him off real bad because he was a big enough of a boy to realise that it could have happened to him. So, he puts on his football jacket and comes and stands right beside me. Now you got two of us, wearing different colors that represent our schools standing side by side. We went over to this bullys house and called him out. He ran and hid from us as he hollered "I'm gonna get a bunch of my friends and we will be back". Well, his so called friends heard that he had come to my house and hit me and hurt me for no reason and told this bully that he was on his own and they weren't gonna do anything at all to help him. Now, me and the guy that came to stand beside me decided to become friends and made an alliance. We deided that it was better to stand united as one even though we were from different schools and had different opinions abut different stuff than to have some little fool who would hit you when you weren't looking do it again. From that time on, the word got out that you don't Phuck with either of us, because one or the other of us would be there to support the other.
    We never heard from that other boy again, we think he's probably living under a rock somewhere.

Now as time passed other boys from other schools got word what the bully did to me that day and they didn't like it either. So, one by one they called or came by and told me and my new friend that if we ever need them, just holler and they would be there too. All they ased was that if it ever happend to them that we would come and stand by their side.
    Me and my new fried agreed. We bacame well know as N.A.T.O. Neighboring Alliance towards Outsiders!

THE END!
    BlackGUN

Xracer
    (10/11/01 10:08:41 am)
    Well said, BlackGun. Alliances and treatys are always tricky, but in this complex world, we can't survive without them.

If anything, 9/11/01 should prove that an isolationist "Fortress America" policy is absurd and dangerous.

BTW Polish....sometimes I think that you and I are twins who were seperated at birth (but I was the goodlookin' one)....

Edited by: Xracer at: 10/11/01 11:12:52 am

Zigzag2
    (10/11/01 10:21:57 am)
    | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    BG, amazingly enough, I've got a simular story to tell ... but the moral of the story is to stand up for what you believe in and have allies. Right, wrong or indifferent, we as a country need to insure our own.
    Like TLynn, I feel as tho " The normal checks and balances on our government are being waived right and left due to the hysteria of the moment".

" GOD bless us all"

LIKTOSHOOT
    (10/11/01 10:24:31 am)
    What a cute wittle story

NeoDebo
    V.I.P. Member
    (10/11/01 10:31:50 am)
    Apparently I struck a small nerve.

We know nothing for a fact. We know only that which our government and "the media" have chosen to tell us. Is what we have heard true? Or is it lies? Does it hide an ulterior motive?

No person here, me included, knows the truth of anything regarding our current situation, regarding the "one-wolder's", NATO, the UN, Osama Bin Ladin, or the true identity of the perpetrators of the terrible WTC event.

Folks here are welcome to their opinion--as am I. Nothing that can be said on this board is likely to change my opinion a single iota. Nor are my feeble musings likely to convince any others of the correctness of my beliefs.

Regarding divisivness, I must say that divisivness here is the result of some of you folks disagreeing with ME. (A JOKE, ya'll--LOL--Humor intended--Smiles!) I ain't divisive with anybody, on account of I realize that nobody here knows any more about the TRUTH than I--and I don't know "diddley" for certain! It is all personal opinion, and opinion is vanity.

Ya'll all still my friends, even if ya'll all don't agree with me sometimes.

Lighten up, all. Ain't none of us here going to make the difference of a poot in a whirlwind, anyhow.

All the fussin' here reminds me of a little boy with a ruler in his hand, who, after peeing in the ocean, bends down to measure how much the water level went up...

tuckerd1
    V.I.P. Member
    (10/11/01 10:46:14 am)
    Neo, One thing in your last statement I definitely disagree with:

"Ain't none of us here going to make the difference of a poot in a whirlwind, anyhow."

If we all were to believe this, then why are we even discussing the situation about our government & our freedoms anyhow?

Many "individuals" have influenced the outcome of what is now history. Any one of us, given the right situation, could become the new inspiration to thousands or millions of others.

Zigzag2
    (10/11/01 11:03:27 am)
    | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Amen Tuck!

polishshooter
    (10/11/01 11:30:57 am)
    Yeah, Neo, nothing personal was ever intended on this part either, last night I was really tired and got fired up.

But I still get "excited" when I run into people with negative attitudes who distrust EVERYTHING. I wasn't frustrated with YOU, Neo, just reading more into your and other's answers and concerns.

YES we have been lied to, all through history, but the truth is STILL THERE to find, if we only look...but so FEW people ever do! We are still learning things about what REALLY happened in WWII! Much of what we "know" is flat out wrong! But it IS there to be learned, by ANYBODY, if they want to spend a little time reading on their own...and learning with an open mind., NOT what is "taught" in schools!

It is NOT unattainable, or something the littlest individual cannot understand, if they read, research, question, and never stop LEARNING.

And as an old History Major, I get frustrated that SO MANY Americans are so Historically IGNORANT. I don't have all the answers. never will. "THE MORE you knowTHE LESS you know..."

Which is why I get frustrated over simple, old "pat" opinions, from people I KNOW are smart enough to know better.

Ignorance is NOT bliss, it leads to bad decisions at EVERY level.

Do you TRULY question who is responsible? Do you REALLY not trust the evidence as to who did the WTC?

Do you REALLY think we never landed on the moon but it was all done on a movie set?

Granted, we still don't REALLY know who killed JFK, but we WILL, someday... IMH (but optimistic) O.

That's what I read into some answers, and truly did "strike a nerve."

And X? Yeah, you got the looks, I got the brains... Or was that the stomach size, I forget...

BlackGun
    V.I.P. Member
    (10/11/01 12:43:00 pm)
    Yea! Neo! Do you really disbelieve that Bob has ugly ole dreadlocks?
    Do you doubt that he has the best home brew around.?
    Do you dare question that me and Warpig run the Pump House by hand?
    How dare you question the integetery of the members of this board, when we tell you something, Take it to the bank, Dogg

BlackGUN

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.