to vacum seal or not?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by goldy, Apr 27, 2009.

1. goldy

goldy New Member

I vaccum sealed on of my guns that I will never shoot, In a food saver bag to keep it in as mint condition as I can. I think this is an awsome idea.
    Is this a good idea or not and why? thank you, hoping to have fun with this post. goldy

2. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

hoo boy:rolleyes:

My take is you'd need to be in a hermatically sealed room with no humidity for it to work. Some will say add a dessicant pack to the mix. I don't buy it.
    My logical brain just can't grasp the concept.

Flame away.:D

3. 38 special

38 special New Member

It may work but I'd be a little leary about zero ventilation If there was a tiny whole where air could get in, with a tiny bit of humidity I think that could be bad news with the gun enclosed in the bag. In a gun safe they like to use a heated rod just to have air flow within the safe via convection. they also say never close up your gun in a gun case for long periods. On the otheR hand, if ALL air is sucked out of bag and there is No oxygen for oxidation ,I guess it could be fine.But I'm sure no expert on this. I have read that putting pure caranuba wax on the gun is best but Ive never tried it.

4. USMCSpeedy

USMCSpeedy Member

If you are going to try it I would definitely add a dessicant pack. Even the slightest bit of moisture in an enclosed environment will sooner or later corrode.

5. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

And therein lies my apprehension.
    The desicant merely absorbs the moisture. In a vacuum situation, the moisture is still there. It may be in the dessicant, but it's still there with no place to gas off. The moisture is effectively trapped in the bag.
    Suck as hard as you want, but you're not going to remove all the air.

Nitrogen purging is a novel idea. Pretty tough for you or me to do tho.

6. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

A couple of years ago, when my wife first got one of those vacuum sealers, I did a couple of pistols. I put a couple of those little dessicant packets in each one of them. The seal only held for about two weeks. I thought something might have snagged it to make it lose its vacuum so I did them a second time and again it only held for a couple of weeks. I tried several times and they just would not hold. I know it worked on food but would not work on the guns. I wish you luck with it, if it does work for you let me know and I will try it again.

7. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

I could see a use for it if you live in an area that might flood

8. glocknut

glocknut Active Member

Obviously you have never met my ex-wife.... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

mike
    gn

9. Suicide*Ride

Suicide*Ride New Member

Re: to vacuum seal or not?

Having mouse problems!!

Last edited: Apr 28, 2009
  10. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

The question becomes how well would the gun have kept with the G-96 and no vac seal??

11. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

I never worried about such things until a week or so ago. That was when Mrs T had the bright idea of having a clothes drying machine in the same room I have a gun safe! In the short term I put half a dozen desiccant packs in there.

12. Suicide*Ride

Suicide*Ride New Member

Re: to vacuum seal or not?

I just cut the seal on my NIB 3-screw Super-Blackhawk that I sealed 11 yrs. ago. When I sealed it (the 1st time), the room I was in was air-conditioned & the humidity level was about 6% (I checked!). No desicant pacts & only a light film of WD-40. I used WD-40 due to it's ability to displace moisture.

A yr. later, I opened the bag to find the WD-40 had dried up :eek: , & thankfully didn't hurt the gun. :eek:

After a good wipe down (my Ruger & my backside! :rolleyes:), I re-lubed the Super Blkhawk w/ G-96.... GREAT STUFF!! G-96 has solvents in it for cleaning, that you must wait to evaporate before long-term storing.

30 minutes after spraying a nice thick layer of QUALITY G-96 gun oil, I wrapped it in a cotton towel (also coated w/ G-96) & back in a vacuum bag.

I just cut the seal 2 days ago, so I could take pictures & post in "What's it worth" elsewhere on this forum. NO ISSUES w/ the finish, & the gun looks AWESOME!! ;)

As a Nuclear welder & Reactor repair man, I've had a LOT of experience w/ inert gases (Argon, CO2, Nitrogen, etc.) & have done a lot of thinking about the debate "To seal or not to seal". IMHO, I think as long as you can get a good seal on your bag, jar, box, etc., & you use the right lube... the item being sealed should be just fine.

FWIW - I've also thought about purging a container w/ Argon gas (inert) before long term firearm storing & would do that "in a heartbeat" due to the lack of O2 available in the container. Inert gas will stop the ability to rust &/or corrode.

I WON'T STORE AMMUNITION in a container perged w/ inert gas as I don't want to displace any Oxygen inside the cartridge case. Wouldn't THAT suck??!! Open your favorite box of (insert your caliber) & find none of it will shoot! :eek:

I decided to go w/ a vacuum sealed bag for my Ruger, because I lived in S.e. Georgia & between the high humidity & the possibility of a Tornado or God forbid... a Hurricane!

The pictures below (lint & all!) are of my Ruger right out of the bag, in "as found" condition. I didn't clean it or even have to give it a wipe down!!

The normal disclaimers apply to this post: Don't flame me later if you have any problems! :D Just letting everyone know what worked for me.... ;)

Attached Files:

13. carver

carver Moderator Supporting Member

glody, first off, welcome to the forum! I have read all the posts on this one, and I can't, for the life of me, think up a reason to vacuum seal any of my guns. You say it is a gun you will never shoot, so I assume that it might be a collector piece, bought for that purpose, and that purpose only. If I thought sealing it would enhance it's value by quite a bit, on down the road, then maybe I would consider it. If so, then I think I would have it seal by a professional, in a lexan box.

14. PPK 32

PPK 32 Active Member

Nice Ruger!!! My vote--seal yes, but coated with lube. I have a safe queen that I take out every now and again and lightly coat it with gun oil, its wrapped in a cloth and kept in its original box. Had it for over a year, no problems or signs of oxidation. Blued finish.

15. islenos

islenos Active Member