The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 388 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to kill a 'dillo if I have to stay up all night to do it. Over the last few years our lawn has taken a beating because we couldn't take care of it.. The last two weeks the wife and I have been working diligently to get it back in shape. We had a wonderful stand of new grass that was really coming along. This morning most of it looks as if a really bad golfer, like me, has been practicing his swing on my new grass. The criminal is going to see execution tonight. ggrrrrrrrrrr....

·
Premium Member
4,067 Posts
I am going to kill a 'dillo if I have to stay up all night to do it. Over the last few years our lawn has taken a beating because we couldn't take care of it.. The last two weeks the wife and I have been working diligently to get it back in shape. We had a wonderful stand of new grass that was really coming along. This morning most of it looks as if a really bad golfer, like me, has been practicing his swing on my new grass. The criminal is going to see execution tonight. ggrrrrrrrrrr....
Went through the same thing a few years ago. The .22 mag remedied it. I didn't have to stay out all night though. I just went outside after dark and I could hear them in the leaves they make so much noise. They were pretty easy to locate.

·
Premium Member
11,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That they are...and they aren't the sharpest tool in the shed. I checked last night right before we went to bed at 9:00 then I awoke at 3:30 to potty and decided to check. The criminal had already done the deed. I have enough LED floods around the entire perimeter of the house to land a helicopter so if the miscreant is around, I'll see him.

I could guarantee a kill without interrupting my slumbers but it's too dangerous....and does not differentiate between pets and varmints.

·
Premium Member
4,067 Posts
Most of my "eradication" was done around 9pm. You're right, there not very bright. I don't think they see well either because most of the time I could walk right up to them quietly as they were busy rooting around loudly.
I have seen them take off running from the dogs when I let them outside only to see the "dillo" run smack into a tree.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Sounds like a pesky critter. I've never seen one and probably won't living in Central Illinois. It looks like you are right on the upper edge of their range.

Ricochets from a miss or off the armadillo?

·
Premium Member
11,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sounds like a pesky critter. I've never seen one and probably won't living in Central Illinois. It looks like you are right on the upper edge of their range.

Ricochets from a miss or off the armadillo?
Well G2, when we left Missouri they were barely in the southern part of the state. when we came back they had already travelled to where we are here in Rolla. Now they're across the Missouri River at Jeff. City. Unless the weather breaks back cold, don't count on not seeing them in your area.

No, not even a 22 LR will ricochet off a 'dillo. At least all of them I've shot with a 22 died. Their "shell" is a lot more like leather than armor. I think that's a lot like the jack-a-lope and snipe hunting at night.

·
Premium Member
11,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I always do fl. I ain't about to touch the nasty things with my bare hands!!!

·
Premium Member
11,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ahh...ok. I have heard those say that who were quite serious. Most recently the young man I'm teaching to handload and cast bullets said that very thing, and was serious. I thought he was kidding until he assured me he was not.

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
Thankfully none have been seen around here, but I have seen them flattened on the highway around here. I have bigger nuisances to worry about, there's evidence of a sounder of hogs not far from the house, and the squirrels.

·
Registered
254 Posts
If and when they hit Illinois, my guess is they will stay in the southern third or so. Once you get north of Springfield (about half way up) the weather tends to get a little colder and nastier.

They almost look like beefed up opossums. The rooting in the ground is different though. Strange critters from another age.

·
Premium Member
17,197 Posts
Ricochet off the 'dillo, was meant and typed in jest...
Maybe for you it was in jest, but i told my wife that Vic was dillo hunting and she asked me how he was going to get a shot low enough to get under their shell?:rolleyes: I told her he has pits dug all over his yard and he puts brush over them. Then he hides down in them and shoots the dillos when they walk over him. She said it must get pretty cold out there late at night. i said it would normally but he usually falls asleep and doesn't notice the cold too much.;)

·
Registered
466 Posts
Don't use a .22 or they can glance off , scouts honor !! If you shoot them and the angle is just right pttzingggggg!! The armadillo should be our state rodent . Most kids learn their shooting skills taking out them SOBs . My nieces's husband has one of those .50 cal. rifles he takes hog hunting , should work on a armadillo if will pay his travel expences I can give you his number
watch out for ricochets...
Ricochet off the 'dillo, was meant and typed in jest...

1 - 20 of 388 Posts