The Firearms Forum banner

301 - 320 of 388 Posts

·
9,352 Posts
Im surprise that the Texans in here arn't putting up a fuss. As the dillo is the states animal. Alaska you best stop watching the stars and watch the border, The progressives will be moving in to mess up that bastion of freedom up there.
We ain't fussing, we just don't want you to waste that good meat.
Yall say you won't eat diller but you will eat eggs that came from a chickens butt.
Duh!!

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
We ain't fussing, we just don't want you to waste that good meat.
Yall say you won't eat diller but you will eat eggs that came from a chickens butt.
Duh!!
That's fake news. If you watch Green Acres, everyone knows eggs come from the supermarket.

Not sure why Sharps place made me think of this.

But I might be wrong on the location of the farm. Perhaps this one is a better reckoning.

·
Premium Member
11,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #305
Ted, I am not much of an egg eater. If I eat an egg it's cooked one way, scrambled and well don enough to be brown around the edges, on toast with enough pepper & Mrs. Dash to cover up the taste of the nasty things.

Well....Joyce ain't Zsa Zsa Gabor and I ain't Eddie Albert.....As fer the Clampett's...ain't no oil on my place. Pretty sure about that.

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
Ted, I am not much of an egg eater. If I eat an egg it's cooked one way, scrambled and well don enough to be brown around the edges, on toast with enough pepper & Mrs. Dash to cover up the taste of the nasty things.

Well....Joyce ain't Zsa Zsa Gabor and I ain't Eddie Albert.....As fer the Clampett's...ain't no oil on my place. Pretty sure about that.

Sorry, my bad. I wasn't try to imply anything untoward.

You might consider this as an appetizer.

·
Premium Member
11,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #312
Sorry, my bad. I wasn't try to imply anything untoward.
You didn't Alaska, no offense taken and no apology necessary. I never did like eggs. Mom told me when I was a baby I'd spit them out and not eat them. Dad always told me if I went into the service I'd learn to like them. I did and I didn't. I was in my late 20's/early 30's before I figured out a way to eat them I could tolerate and that is as described.

Squirrel? As with Ted, I grew up on squirrel, rabbit, fish and quail. No venison to speak of. Deer were a scarce commodity back then.

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
You didn't Alaska, no offense taken and no apology necessary. I never did like eggs. Mom told me when I was a baby I'd spit them out and not eat them. Dad always told me if I went into the service I'd learn to like them. I did and I didn't. I was in my late 20's/early 30's before I figured out a way to eat them I could tolerate and that is as described.

Squirrel? As with Ted, I grew up on squirrel, rabbit, fish and quail. No venison to speak of. Deer were a scarce commodity back then.
As a kid in Alaska, we had a pet squirrel that our pet cat ate. We chased that darn cat for 5 minutes but the battle was already done by the time we caught him.

We had a freezer full of salmon, caribou, moose and I am told on three occassions, black bear.

Trout that we caught came home and went immediately into the frying pan.

I guess we were pretty spoiled. When we moved to ME, the Atlantic salmon were midgets compared to Alaskan salmon but trout, pickerel and mackerel filled the frying pans.

When at my grandmother’s house on Cape Cod, we went spear fishing with home made spears for flounder. They were everywhere. Now, with the Great White sharks, you couldn’t pay me to put even my little toe in the water.

But squirrels never made it into our pots. The last time I went rabbit hunting in ME, the rabbit looked ar me and let out the most hideous screem I have ever heard. That was my last rabbit.

Oh, almost forgot the ptarmigan up in Nome and the ducks in ME. Never did get a deer the 2 or three years i hunted them in high school then it was off to the races with college a couple of years later.

·
Premium Member
11,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #314
Salmonids....there's a fish neither my wife nor I ever acquired a taste for. We've heard the song and dance, "you just haven't had it prepared right". Horse puckey. Neither of us like the taste/flavor, it's that simple. Boy, I love to fish for trout but I don't keep any. We find carp excellent if canned. Sunfish....what's not to like? Catfish? I'll eat flathead and blue but I ain't eatin' a channel cat unless it was cage raised. River channels taste like mud.

As adults we've had about all the big game save sheep and billy goat. Caribou and Corsican ram we are ambivalent about. Elk is the filet' mignon of big game we think...as many do. Moose is mighty good as is black bear. Bison is excellent. Deer, we eat it because we killed it but it is strong to my palate unless the wife doctors it though venison burger does make the best chili. Wild hog is good if not too big, even if the shoulder and sides are small as compared to domestic hog. Antelope....as with a lot of game, there's one that needs proper care and preparation. Then it can be very good! I don't like duck or goose but I don't believe we've ever had an upland game bird we didn't like.

This is the Ozarks so of course squirrel and rabbit were on the menu. Squirrel still is but rabbits are pretty scarce here these days.

·
Super Moderator
10,418 Posts
we don't have dillos up here where i live, so i'm no expert but i'm pretty sure dillos are born live not from a egg.
Aw geez Joe! now I'm confused, all this time I've had nightmares about grandma scrambling up a mess o diller eggs and making me sit at the table till they was all gone. YUK!

·
Premium Member
17,515 Posts
Aw geez Joe! now I'm confused, all this time I've had nightmares about grandma scrambling up a mess o diller eggs and making me sit at the table till they was all gone. YUK!
must have been hard to cook them up. after you crack the egg shell then you have to deal with the dillo shell!:eek:

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
The 22 K Hornet, .30 carbine, .44 Mag 7.65 Nagant and .45 Colt have all been Dillo Killers here.
Dillo stink quicker and worse than any dead animal I have ever seen. Once shot one at 11PM and planned to dispose of it next morning. Next morning it stunk something awful

301 - 320 of 388 Posts