The Firearms Forum banner

101 - 120 of 388 Posts

·
Registered
5,751 Posts
I think you need to rethink your title: TONIGHT.

Perhaps, "Maybe Tonight??"

You could put it up for TFF contest and the winner gets some white meat, Maybe tonight??? Maybe not?.

Or Perhaps DLM, Dillos Lives Matter.

Or Perhaps Sharpies Chase.

Or Perhaps Sharpes Last Stand (Inspired by the post above, thank you)

Or Perhaps Cats and Dogs can break my bones but Dillos will never hurt me.

·
Garandaholic
9,379 Posts
No sir, I haven't seen it but I'd bet on a 'dillo, CC. The diggin's are pretty much definitive. You'd think after 7 pages a fella would have something good to report...lol!
Like most areas around here, I live where house lots are 3-5 acres and surrounded by woods. Not a lot of coons and skunks, like if houses were close together. But, every several years or so a skunk will take up residency and I figure it out usually by the obvious "grubbing" in the lawn.
Was just thinking out loud. Have no clue about armadillos!
I solve it just like you do. I'll finally see the bugger...when I don't have a gun. I'll get a gun and it's gone. Eventually I put out bait (canned cat food) and stay up most the night for 1-3 nights.

·
Premium Member
11,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #108
The most mainest thing about a skunk is not to get sprayed in the first place....:D For all my life I can say....so far, so good!

·
Premium Member
11,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #109
Or maybe "Some time this year"
Welll....except that there is only 3 1/2 months left in the year.....I might need longer....:(

·
Premium Member
11,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #113
That was a good one!!! It is getting later here....I'll plug in the fence soon....:rolleyes:.....and I guess we'll see in the morning.

·
Registered
9,258 Posts
Sharps, is this a normal electric fence like what would be used for livestock and such, that gives a jolt like a car coil every few seconds or an "electricians special"? :)
Off topic when I was a kid there was a pasture next to my grand parents property, the owners of the pasture had horses in it and the horses liked to escape now and again so they ran an electric fence.
We kids liked to pat the horses and give them a carrot or two, now not long after the electric wire went up I went over to the fence to give one of the horses a carrot and pat him on the nose, I had inadvertently touched the charged wire and the jolt went through me and got the horse on the nose. After that they would not come near me to get a treat unless I climbed under the fence and was on their side of the wire. :)

·
Premium Member
11,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #115
The fence itself is energized with 120 volts from a house receptacle. Actually, it should be called a turkey farmer's special. Interesting story if anyone wants to hear it.

·
Premium Member
11,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #120
I ain't peein' on ANY electric fence, especially this one.

Well, it ain't a funny story, I said it was interesting. When we were on the farm the guy who was the school's shop foreman/bus mechanic frequently joined us for lunch. This was 30 years ago and Vernon was abut the age I am now. We got to talking about coyotes, coons, foxes...predators in general. Well, 30 years before that time Vernon raised turkeys on the ground. Back then not everyone raised them in the big turkey houses, at least in that part of Missouri. Anyway, Vernon said he killed lots of coyotes, foxes, coons, possums, etc. that tried to get to his turkeys. I knew Vernon wasn't a gun guy so I asked him how he came to kill all those critters and keep loose turkeys alive. Vernon just grinned and said, "an electric fence." Now this was a table full of ranchers who had been around electric fences all our lives and we knew darn good and well a regular livestock fencer wouldn't usually kill critters.. Vernon looked at me and said, "you're an electrician, don't you know how?" Welll...the light came on and I about half shouted and said, "you didn't!!" He grinned again and said, yes I did. He'd just hooked up one wire to a regular 120 volt cord end and plugged it into the hot side of a receptacle and ran his "hot" wire on the insulators. There was 120 volts in the wire just looking for a ground...and the critters provided it. Back where he lived, back then, he probably didn't have a neighbor for 2-3 miles.

101 - 120 of 388 Posts