Top 10 new deer rifles...

Discussion in 'Firearms News, Reviews, and Featured Articles' started by greggs, Jul 25, 2015.

1. Rondo ihde

Rondo ihde Active Member

Don Fischer likes this.
  2. Don Fischer

Don Fischer Well-Known Member

You get what you pay for. Really? I guess what you have to decide is what your paying for! The only reason I got my first Patriot was to see if I could get one to shoot. They looked fine but shooting is a different story. Oh, they looked fine in a wood stock! Cost me $299 then add a new wood stock about $140 I think it was. Couldn't find anything wrong with the bedding and the trigger, adjustable breaks at 2 1/2# out of the box. Shoot's what little factory ammo I've shot through it into right at 1" @ 100 yds. Shoot's handloads with 70 SMK's into 3/4" -. I don't own another rifle that could do that out of the box! That got me to buy my second one in 308. Only shoot cast bullet's through it so have no idea what good jacketed handload would do and don't care. I also have a 1903 Paul Jaeger rifle made by Paul in 1945. Haven't been able to bring myself to carrying it hunting after getting the appraised value of it, this year it does start to be a hu

3. Don Fischer

Don Fischer Well-Known Member

I have a bunch of older rifles, love them too! But of the rifle's I have I only bought one new, mod 70 feather weight. Just under $800 about ten years ago. It's a 6.5x55 and shoot's very well with little problems from the first day, had to adjust the trigger. I have three older mod 700's with the bad triggers in them. Never a spot of trouble with any Remington trigger! But all needed some bedding to get them to shoot well and they do shoot well. Every one of the triggers needed adjusting. Not complaining mind you but I like to fool with rifle's

4. one3

one3 New Member

I,am just wondering are we talking accuracy for target shooting or hunting? As for hunting in the east for deer, how many yards would shoot? I think most any $4oo.oo dollar rifle will do. Unless you plan on shooting maga yards. IMHO

5. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member

My Ruger American in 308 is good enough for me. I put a Nikon Prostaff on it and it shoots better than I ever could. I have less than $500 in it with the scope. I took it to the range last week and got some nice groups at 100 yards.