Top 10 new deer rifles...

Discussion in 'Firearms News, Reviews, and Featured Articles' started by greggs, Jul 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rondo ihde

Rondo ihde Active Member

sharps4590 and Don Fischer like this.
  2. Don Fischer

Don Fischer Well-Known Member

You get what you pay for. Really? I guess what you have to decide is what your paying for! The only reason I got my first Patriot was to see if I could get one to shoot. They looked fine but shooting is a different story. Oh, they looked fine in a wood stock! Cost me $299 then add a new wood stock about $140 I think it was. Couldn't find anything wrong with the bedding and the trigger, adjustable breaks at 2 1/2# out of the box. Shoot's what little factory ammo I've shot through it into right at 1" @ 100 yds. Shoot's handloads with 70 SMK's into 3/4" -. I don't own another rifle that could do that out of the box! That got me to buy my second one in 308. Only shoot cast bullet's through it so have no idea what good jacketed handload would do and don't care. I also have a 1903 Paul Jaeger rifle made by Paul in 1945. Haven't been able to bring myself to carrying it hunting after getting the appraised value of it, this year it does start to be a hu

carver likes this.

3. Don Fischer

Don Fischer Well-Known Member

I have a bunch of older rifles, love them too! But of the rifle's I have I only bought one new, mod 70 feather weight. Just under $800 about ten years ago. It's a 6.5x55 and shoot's very well with little problems from the first day, had to adjust the trigger. I've had three older mod 70's with the bad triggers in them. Never a spot of trouble with any Remington trigger! But all needed some bedding to get them to shoot well and they do shoot well. Every one of the triggers needed adjusting. Not complaining mind you but I like to fool with rifle's

Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
    carver likes this.
  4. one3

one3 Well-Known Member

I,am just wondering are we talking accuracy for target shooting or hunting? As for hunting in the east for deer, how many yards would shoot? I think most any $4oo.oo dollar rifle will do. Unless you plan on shooting maga yards. IMHO

pdkfishing and carver like this.
  5. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

My Ruger American in 308 is good enough for me. I put a Nikon Prostaff on it and it shoots better than I ever could. I have less than $500 in it with the scope. I took it to the range last week and got some nice groups at 100 yards.

carver likes this.
  6. Ibmikey

Ibmikey Well-Known Member

Ruger American would be my choice for the Best Buy in a hunting rifle, less than $300, accurate and sturdy. My buddy’s Creedmore shoots 1 1/2” groups and my Ranch 300 Blackout took a number of hogs at 100 yds this summer.

carver likes this.
  7. SA1911

SA1911 Member

Does the author believe that older deer rifles no longer work?

If I had been half-as-bright and I knew I was when I got in to the rifle buying business, I'd of bought an excellent quality rifle chambered in .280 Rem and would've never needed another rifle for all North American big game hunting. As it was, I didn't do too bad with a Model 700 .270 Win. It's closing in on a half-century seasoning. It has one-shot killed all big game I've hunted with it. And it'll shoot .25" at a hundred all day long.

And I need a new mule deer rifle?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2017
  8. Joe Dobrodey

Joe Dobrodey Member

No love for the Winchester. Just got a xpr and I absolutely love shooting it. Fit and finish are great.
    I can't believe the tikka didn't get mentioned. So I will ,I have a t3 7mm 08 the perfect caliber.

9. SeeMor Guns

SeeMor Guns Well-Known Member

Holy thread resurrection, Batman!!

PRR1957 likes this.
  10. Joe Dobrodey

Joe Dobrodey Member

I may be late to the party, but talking about guns is always a good thing.
    Better late than never, right.
    Besides I'm new to the forum.

ysacres likes this.
  11. sharps4590

sharps4590 Well-Known Member

Of all of them, I remain unimpressed.

12. grcsat

grcsat Well-Known Member

I love this new and improved nonsence.
    Who is to say what is better or not ?
    I am of the mind of you only need one rifle that fits you properly and you learn how to use it.
    Of course we all have more than one rifle but you can only use one at a time.
    I am more than happy with having a rifle that suits my needs. And what are those needs? Simply put ,I can hit a target at a given range. The rest is cosmedic or keeping up with the Jones. My old Mauser will drop a deer just like any other rifle. I don't need or want the so called new and improved.

Winchester94 and joe45c like this.
  13. pdkfishing

pdkfishing Well-Known Member Supporting Member

+1 with my fellow cantankerous old timers :D. My newest rifle is nearly 30 years old, and I don't own anything that doesn't shoot better than me.

Winchester94, one3 and joe45c like this.
  14. eastbanks

eastbanks Well-Known Member

when the Remington sps first came out in left hand,i bought one in 7mm08(475.00-OTD) and put a leupold 2.5-8x on it with dual dove tail rings-base and have hunted it every year since and have killed many deer. 120 nosler BT,s at 2900fps using a heavy charge of varget.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
    joe45c likes this.
  15. Catman1942

Catman1942 Well-Known Member

• a savage or mossberg 6.5 creedmore, about 400 dollars cant go wrong their. or a henry single shot in 30/30 or 45/70. cant go wrong their either.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.