Top 3 9mm pistols?

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Green Lantern, Jan 11, 2017.

1. Green Lantern

Green Lantern Active Member

Just getting some ideas for future purchase.

Soon as the FOID gets here, I've prepaid on a EAA SAR K2P 9mm. The reviews show this gun to be very under rated.

2. dbcooper

dbcooper Well-Known Member

Your title says "top 3"

You only mentioned 1

Were there more you want to talk about ?

Broot, jedwil and crystalphoto like this.

3. Green Lantern

Green Lantern Active Member

Just looking for members ideas on top 3. I just mentioned the first one I've bought. Being new to guns, I still need to form an idea.

dbcooper likes this.
  4. rcairflr

rcairflr Well-Known Member

1. H&K USP Expert
    2. CZ-75 SP-01 Shadow Target
    3. Doesn't matter, cannot come close to #1 and #2

5. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Beretta 92
    Glock 17 or 19
    CZ 75b

dbcooper and crystalphoto like this.
  6. PlanoAttorney

PlanoAttorney Well-Known Member

Green Lantern, opinions are plentiful and the law of supply and demand does apply. However, since you asked we sort of need a little criteria such as purpose.

If you are looking for a concealed or even an open carry weapon then the Sig P938 is a serious contender. I have held but not been able to shoot the Kimber Micro 9 but first impression was good so for a carry weapon I think it deserves a look. Before anyone flames me, I am referring to the Colt Mustang clone, NOT the Kimber Solo 9.

If target shooting is your vice I must second the CZ nomination and I will go a little more specific, the Magnum Research Baby Eagle (sans Jericho) and to be very specific the BE99W model steel frame and full size (I don't know if the Jericho is a CZ clone or vice versa, I am sure someone will tell both of us soon enough).

You simply can't go wrong with a Beretta 92 either.

As you will soon learn there are some very brand loyal types on this forum and fortunately - I am not one of them so you can trust my opinions. However, you should know my gun safe is really a condo for Italian and Israeli immigrants; I openly award citizenship no questions asked to all guns from those countries so if you have one that needs a refuge please let me know I will PM my shipping address.

Best advise for a gun purchase is to remember (1) stick to brands with good reputations until you are ready to venture into the realm of the unusual or unproven; (2) a gun that fits your hand is superior to one that does not regardless of brand; and (3) handguns come in three flavors (revolvers, 1911s, and strikers). You should try to handle and shoot all three and find out first if you have a preference. Revolver vs. 1911 style vs. striker fired is NOT a Chevy vs. Ford debate it is more like SUV vs. Sedan vs. Minivan. You find that you have a strong affinity for one over the other so I would suggest that as your start point on the decision tree of what are the top 3 9MM on the market since the number one, no bull, absolute best 9MM is the one you like and feel as though it likes you back.

cec2, flboots, Broot and 2 others like this.
  7. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member

A lot depends on what you will use them for. I carry my Smith & Wesson Shield. Easy to conceal and still a good shooter.

I really like my Beretta 92. Nice full sized handgun and a joy to shoot.

I have other 9mm handguns but I would look at one of the new 1911 9mm. I don't own one but want to soon. I am looking at the Ruger and Colt models.

flboots, howlnmad and dbcooper like this.
  8. dbcooper

dbcooper Well-Known Member

heres mine

Glock 19
    CZ 75B
    Beretta 92

flboots, howlnmad and gvw3 like this.
  9. ral357

ral357 Well-Known Member

full sized service automatics: CZ 75, Beretta 92, Browning Hi Power.
    Smaller carry guns CZ Rami, Colt combat commander, Ruger LCR hey nobody said no revolvers......

flboots, howlnmad and dbcooper like this.
  10. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Sig Sauer P-938
    Beretta 92F
    Sig Sauer P-250

I carry the P-938 and I play with the other two.

rawright54, flboots and howlnmad like this.
  11. Twicepop

Twicepop Well-Known Member

1. Browning High Power
    2. Beretta M92
    3. CZ 75

4. 1911 (brand unimportant)
    5. S&W M&P
    6. Ruger SR9

ral357 likes this.
  12. sharps4590

sharps4590 Well-Known Member

Mine are going to be a bit "off the grid" but you must keep in mind how ate up I am with old stuff......and that 9mm Parabellum is not among my favorite handgun cartridges.....:D

Walther P-38
    Luger
    S&W Mod. 39

Kweeksdraw, soundguy and howlnmad like this.
  13. Kody24

Kody24 Well-Known Member

Go to several gun stores and handle as many as you can. Find out what fits your hands well, set the others aside. Then compare size, weight and functionality to find what you like best. Keep in mind what you want to do with it. Small guns conceal better but kick harder and can be tougher to hit your target with. Larger guns have less recoil and can be easier to aim with but are harder to conceal and are heavier making them less comfortable to carry. Revolvers and semiautos have their own upsides and downsides. Choose the one you like that fits the best in your hands. Go shoot at least a hundred rounds through that one to see if you don't change your mind about a few things before getting another. That's my advice but there are as many opinions about that as there are people.

flboots and dbcooper like this.
  14. CrookCountyGO

CrookCountyGO Well-Known Member

Browning Hi Power
    Beretta 92
    Third would be a CZ or Glock based on nothing except that I've been pining for both for years.

flboots likes this.
  15. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

Got to have that luger!