Tracing a stolen gun.

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by John11139, Jul 29, 2020 at 7:14 PM.

1. John11139

John11139 New Member

When a gun is stolen, is there any way to trace who reported it. I know we cant get into legal discussions here. But to keep it simple. I purchased a gun from a firearms dealer (22 cal) Over 25 years ago (new gun) I had a lot of my records destroyed in a fire three years ago. I thought they were among them. I loaned the gun to a neighbor because coyotes attacked his dog. He got into a domestic dispute (not using that gun). They run a trace on it and said it was stolen. Gave the town and about the date I purchased it. I expect a knock on my door soon. I just happen to dig through some old papers and found the receipt showing the serial number, price I paid for it, dealers name. I think that dealer is out of business. I am wondering if there is not fraud involved here. Maybe someone at the dealer sold it to me and then reported it stolen to collect insurance. Or the police are trying to pull a fast one on me. How many of you have receipts from guns you bought 25-30 years ago. Is there any tracking system that will tell me who reported the gun stolen. Is there any way I can have the gun returned to me?. I won't talk to the police until I have all my ducks in a row.

joe45c likes this.
  2. Grizzley1

Grizzley1 Well-Known Member

Sometimes guns from two different companies can have the same serial number, sometimes a serial number gets written down wrong in a police report.

But as long as you have proof that you purchased it brand new from a licensed dealer you should be alright.

3. gdmoody

gdmoody Full Time Moderator Moderator Supporting Member

djthumper likes this.
  4. joe45c

joe45c Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I have all mine except for a 10/22 i bought in 1971. I guess back then i didn't think keeping such things were important.

5. rcairflr

rcairflr Well-Known Member

I agree with Grizzly above, I think with the receipt you should be just fine. I'm wondering why you would think it is OK to loan a firearm to a neighbor? IMO, that is just asking for trouble.

joe45c likes this.
  6. CCHolderinMaine

CCHolderinMaine Garandaholic Supporting Member

I try to. I keep the box and everything that came with it in a closet, full of pretty much just that. I think I have about 40 "free" trigger locks :)
    Mostly in hopes of having something on my side for a warranty claim. Never figured I'd need them for your reason. Glad I have them in case.

joe45c likes this.
  7. gdmoody

If my neighbor needed to borrow a gun, I would lend one to him.

8. Grizzley1

The neighbor just south of me, I'd lend a gun to if he asked, I'd likely get some venison or elk for my trouble. The people on the other side of the house, they can go pee up a rope, I wouldn't lend them a cup of sugar, :)

9. rcairflr

rcairflr Well-Known Member

Lending a firearm to his neighbor worked out great for John11139...

10. joe45c

I have people on both sides of my house and across the street like that! They are the kind if i loaned them a gun they'd turn it in to the cops!:mad:

11. John11139

John11139 New Member

12. gdmoody

So! If my neighbor need a gun I would lend it to him, nothing you or anyone else can say would change my mind.

13. Grizzley1

Rick, the guy south of me is a good man, he runs a firewood business, after my stroke he made sure we had wood for the winter. Granted a lot of it was short chunks and stuff he couldn't include in a cord of wood for a paying customer but it kept us warm that winter. He also sent over some elk steaks and burger after last falls hunt. If he needs a gun, I'll lend it to him.

To the north of us is an apartment complex, I don't know and don't want to know the tenants over there.

14. joe45c

I'd loan Rick a gun too, and i live in NY not Oregon;).

Empty_Holster and Grizzley1 like this.
  15. nmckenzie

nmckenzie Well-Known Member Supporting Member

A good buddy of mine back in the day once observed there are three things you never, ever, loan out: girlfriends, guns, and toothbrushes.

rcairflr likes this.