Traffic ticket warning?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ARB, Apr 14, 2009.

1. ARB

ARB New Member

I've been meaning to ask this for quite some time. Do the police give warnings for speeding anymore? I got busted last June for going 67 in a 55 on a back country highway on my way to work. When I showed up in court this last March (don't ask me it kept why it kept getting moved.) I figured since the officer wasn't there I'd be able to walk. Not only did I pay the fine I have to take a driver responsibility course! I haven't had a ticket in over a decade. Is it just Missouri? By the way, I take full resposibility for my actions I just figured I'd been a good boy for a long time.

2. WomenofCaliber

WomenofCaliber New Member

Did they even reduce the fine?

3. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

That's puzzling. The way I understand the law (and I ain't a lawyer) is you have to have the witnesses against you, or the case is tossed.

6th Amendment - In all criminal prosecutions, the accused shall enjoy the right to a speedy and public trial, by an impartial jury of the State and district where in the crime shall have been committed, which district shall have been previously ascertained by law, and to be informed of the nature and cause of the accusation; to be confronted with the witnesses against him; to have compulsory process for obtaining witnesses in his favor, and to have the Assistance of Counsel for his defense.

If the cop didn't show up, there are no witnesses against you, you plead 'Not Guilty" and the judge says, "Not Guilty". How could you end up being fined?

4. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

The last time I was stopped for speeding was about a year ago. In Georgia, Veterans get their drivers license for free and it shows the type of license as VET. Well anyway, the Elbert County Deputy that stopped me asked for my license and went back to his car to run the tags, I suppose. When he came back up to my window, he handed my license back to me and asked me if I wes a Veteran, I told him yes, that I had retired from the Army. What he said next kind of surprised me. He said thanks for your service to our country and please keep it at the speed limit. I really expected to get a speeding ticket. I suppose thare are still some decent cops in the world!!

5. ARB

ARB New Member

No, I didn't get a reduced fine. But I had been told that it was not a county to mess with. The courts were cracking down on everyone which makes me wonder if somebody is up for reelection. I know there is no real answer to this I guess I just wanted to vent. thanks

6. Ed Wagner

Ed Wagner Member

In my almost 30 years as a deputy, first time I stop you warning ( verbal ), second time warning Written, third time I stop you " Good morning Your Honor ".
    Note , I worked in a farming type county, very few large towns etc. Exceptions to my policy, school zones or residential areas, that went right to number 3

7. graehaven

graehaven Well-Known Member

Look for a LOT less in the warning department now, and a major hike in fines. Municipalities are facing a huge budget crisis, since all they know how to do is rape the tax payer, and spend like there's no tomorrow.

8. PPK 32

PPK 32 Active Member

+1

9. 21bravo

21bravo New Member

like Ed said...its usually up to officer discretion... around here the only LE agencies that do traffic are the townies and the state troopers. as far as the townies go you have to be doin something outrageous before they stop you. Troopers usually dont give warnings around here. i did get out of a speeding ticket once though because my military id was on top of my license in my wallet and when he asked if i knew why he stopped me i said "yes sir, because i was being stupid..." probably helped that i had Criminal Justice text books in my passenger seat:p

10. ARB

ARB New Member

I would just like to say that the trooper who pulled me over was a class act. He really couldn't have been nicer. Even when my dog was trying to come through the back window at him. Hell, I would have bought him a beer after work if I didn't think he'd consider it a bribe.:D

11. bcj1755

bcj1755 New Member

In NC, if the officer does not show to the court date, the judge will either continue the case, or dismiss it.

12. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

I got a warning in Illinois a couple summers back. I was going 69 on the interstate (speed limit 65) and was actually being passed by two other cars when the officer pulled out to come get me.
    It turns out that I was on I-72 headed toward Springfield during the week of the State Fair, and since I had out-of-state plates, they were wondering if I had good intentions. I think they were just being proactive with the drug problem.

One other time I got a verbal warning from an sheriff deputy outside a small town. I had been driving through the country in the middle of the night just for something to do, and when I came off an old gravel road and onto the state highway, he thought something funny was going on. He checked my eyes, then told me that I shouldn't drive on roads like that because it was really suspicious. He said that people go out there to hang out and use meth and that I could get myself hurt. :confused:

So for me, just two warnings and no tickets. I hope to keep it that way.