The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
19,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think i may be becomming a big fan of trailboss.

i primarily picked it up to make shoulder-safe loads so i can actually get some use out of my safari rifles 9 458 lott, 416 rigby, 375HHmag...e tc .. deffinately going to use it in the 45-70).

any reason i can't use it in my garand? and for that matter? any reason i can't work up other common rounds with it. not that I need a reduced recoil for say.. 222/223 but would it work?

I *THINK* i might actualy be able to get my wife to shoot mor ethan a 22lr and her 38spl IF i could let her play with some other handgun laods for a while in say 44mag / 45acp if they were 'cowboy action' light.. and same with rifles. she refuses to shoot any rifle other than 22lr.. but i bet i could introduce her to some if they were very light recoil.

now all that said. i have plenty of bolt guns.. but.. will these trailboss loads cycle SA's? IE.. 223 ar's, 243 and 308 and 3006 SA's?

and any reason this load would be contraindicted in those other chamberings?

as you can tell with some of the thumper rifles I have, I used to be able to take the pounding .. after some health snags the last couple years.. the big guns hurt too much to shoot full loads killing paper targets. i can manage a couple shots out hunting.. but don't want more.... :)

thanks

· Registered
2,688 Posts
I wouldn't try it in a Garand due to the narrow parameters of gas volume needed to safely operate the system without damage.

I've been using Trailboss in my .44 Magnum Puma carbine. I shoot 265 gr. RNFP bullets and it's a joy with Trailboss. Light recoil and fairly accurate...

· Registered
19,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i thought the gas management might be the ideal condition for it.

IE.. not over pressuring oit.

or will this lead to short stroking maybee?

· Registered
19,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
perhaps it costs more due to it's usefull quality of easy to make safe loads and pressure by volume ??

ie.. the manufacturer jacks it up due to the demand.. but it is not produced as much as other mainstream powders.. so supply is lower.

· Registered
18,148 Posts
It wont even move the bolt on a garand. Youll have a straight pull bolt action but it is a fantastic way to get the woman behind the M1.

Speaking of which.. Anyone got a spare Op Rod they might wanna sell to me?

· Registered
19,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i never did hear back in that other thread what my op rod was with the sa and number on it.. etc.

that said.. so.. just being clear here.. the trailboss won't hurt the garand.. i'll just have to manyally cycle it?

and yes.. if i can do some lighter loads on some of my guns I can get the wife shooting with me...

· Registered
18,148 Posts
YEs. TB wont hurt the M1.. At all. Nowhere near enough pressure.

· Registered
972 Posts
Trail Boss is good.. Do NOT compress it. Any load up to compression is ok.
May then reduce the 'full' power load to 70% for a 'reduced load'.\

Do NOT compress. This is straight off Hogdons website. Check it out for Trail Boss and H4895 reduced (Youth) loads.

· Registered
435 Posts
I don't think it would hurt a Garand, but it seems pretty dirty to me, might have some tough cleaning to do of gas op systems. I does make pretty good cat sneeze loads in 22 hornet and 223, but my 223 is a single shot.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.