Tramps Terror

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by Twaits, Feb 8, 2018.

1. Twaits

Twaits Member

Does anyone happen to have any pictures of the innards of one of these things? I just picked one up and the cylinder bolt just flops up and down. I took it out to see if it needs a replacement spring but for the life of me I don't know where the spring would go if there was one. The slot for the bolt goes all the way through the frame. Maybe its just supposed to cam off the trigger? I've currently got the gun soaking in Kroil to try to remove the frozen cylinder pin. If I can get it all the way apart I will post pictures to illustrate what I mean.

2. chuckusaret

chuckusaret Active Member

What is " one of these things"

3. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

" The Thing " Suicide Special made in the late 19 Century by Hood firearms. :(

4. Twaits

Twaits Member

Actually I don't think Hood was one of the manufacturers of the "Tramps Terror"
    Several different companies used this trade name, Dickinson Firearms, Great American and Iver Johnson. Hood isn't listed among the makers that used that trade name.
    It is really cheap though! :)

5. hunter29180

hunter29180 Well-Known Member

6. Old Guns

Old Guns Well-Known Member

I don't know of any diagrams for the little spur trigger guns. They are a pain to fix due to the fragile nature of the parts. I think I still have a magazine article where you could collect by the alphabet. There is at least one named for each letter of the alphabet. I used to buy all i could find for 20 to 25 dollars. Now a semi junk one will bring 100 plus.

7. Twaits

Twaits Member

hunter29180: That's interesting and I guess not too surprising, all of them seemed to use each others trade names. I don't have my Suicide Special book in front of me, what gives that one away as being a Hood? The odd cylinder pin retainer?

Actually looking at that gun auction link again that's not the cylinder pin retainer but the bolt. Looks like its made so your finger is what keeps the bolt up. Weird.
    Or maybe its to pull down to free the cylinder to spin?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2018 at 10:48 AM
  8. hunter29180

hunter29180 Well-Known Member

I was just responding to your statement that you did not think Hood had made one. I posted one on that site and have no idea how they determined it was made by Hood.

9. Twaits

Twaits Member

There are certain characteristics to look for in Webster's book Suicide Specials that give some idea of the manufacturer. The seller of that gun may actually not even know for sure it was made by Hood. There were so many that guns still come up to this day that are not really documented anywhere. Its kind of a fascinating area of gun collecting really. I think I have seven or eight suicide specials now in my collection and I'm always looking for more to add if the price is right.

10. Twaits

Twaits Member

Well here it is. I think I know what the spring is supposed to look like. It's really tiny and I'm not that good at making springs, I still need more practice. I have made some with some success in the past but it was pure luck that I got the tempering right. This is the smallest one I tried to make. This one almost worked but was a little too weak to reliably lift the bolt all the way up. After three more failed attempts I gave up. I know a guy that has thousands of old gun parts so I'm going to go paw through his stuff and see if I can find something I can modify to work.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Kweeksdraw likes this.