The Firearms Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Super Moderator
25,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My grandson has joined a trap league. He's using a 20 gauge Mossberg. What would be his better choice of shot? 9, 8 or 7 1/2?

Reactions: dbcooper

·
Premium Member
9,360 Posts
Well Howln guess I'm a cheapskate as I shoot reclaimed which is obviously a mix of all you listed. It seems to work fine for my abilities and at $20 less a 25# bag seems like a good deal to me.

·
Premium Member
19,221 Posts
Well Howln guess I'm a cheapskate as I shoot reclaimed which is obviously a mix of all you listed. It seems to work fine for my abilities and at $20 less a 25# bag seems like a good deal to me.
I wish we could get that around here. Its over twice that price here.

·
Super Moderator
25,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
He's not allowed to use reloads, it's YSS league. We have to buy the shells there or bring factory . It's $3.50 a box and they have all three sizes available. This is all new to me.

·
Well-Known Mumbler
Aromatherapy 😍
4,257 Posts
I use # 7-1/2 or 8. As firpo said, do some pattern testing. Keep in mind heavier shot will retain its energy a little farther out, too, which can be helpful at longer distances (though you don't need much energy to crack clay)

·
Registered
277 Posts
in my experience, 9's lose velocity fast, you have to be quick to shoot 9's well at trap.. 8 is a good all round shot size for trap. Go to 7-1/2 if it is windy.

He is slightly handicapped shooting a 20 gauge. The 12 gauge shooters are throwing a 1/4 ounce more shot. Move him into a 12 when he is ready.

$3.50 / box is a great bargain. I can't load my own for that.

·
Super Moderator
25,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I guess we'll have to go pattern it and see what works best. I assume that it would be wise to do this with all the chokes.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I guess we'll have to go pattern it and see what works best. I assume that it would be wise to do this with all the chokes.
Unless your grandson will be shooting Skeet also, don't waste your time or money patterning 9's. 16 yard trap targets are generally broken about 35-40 yards from the gun. You need heavier shot. Be more concerned that the gun is shooting where he is looking.

If the gun is shooting a little high, that is ok for trap. He is shooting at a target that is rising. A gun that shoots a little high can be helpful.

Trap requires a tight pattern, targets are broken at 35 yards plus. Skeet targets are broken at 25 yards or less. More open chokes are used for skeet. Cylinder, skeet, Improved cylinder.

I hope that helps. You are in for an adventure.

·
Premium Member
34,535 Posts
Lots of good advice here for beginning shooters. Heavier shot will travel farther, and hit harder, but has less pellets in the load.

·
Premium Member
9,360 Posts
No need to use all the chokes other than it would be a nice experiment and education on what chokes do for your grandson. What chokes does he have? They've come out with new ones since I shot a lot of skeet. I'd use full and whichever he has that is the next tightest. Used to be a modified.

·
Super Moderator
25,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No need to use all the chokes other than it would be a nice experiment and education on what chokes do for your grandson. What chokes does he have? They've come out with new ones since I shot a lot of skeet. I'd use full and whichever he has that is the next tightest. Used to be a modified.
I know he has a full and improved. I'll have to get back to you with the third.

Reactions: carver

·
Registered
277 Posts
I know he has a full and improved. I'll have to get back to you with the third.
Trap is usually shot with Modified, Improved Modified or Full Chokes.

Depending on the program your grandson is shooting in, as trap shooters get better, they are handicapped. They move further back from the trap house. Trap is shot from 16 to 27 yards behind the trap house.

Modified choke can work well from the 16. AS you back up add constriction. Go to Imp-mod or full. Many trap shooters will tell you to shoot nothing but full to keep your aiming errors small. I like IM unless I'm shooting past 20 or 21 yards.

The choke isn't as important as the confidence of the shooter. If you are breaking all the targets with Improved cylinder, keep shooting, who am I to argue with success.

Break em all.

·
Registered
7,409 Posts
Like Granny Clampett used to say - " them skeets - if you don't cook them long enough they are chewy. Cook them too long and they turn to mush."

I'm the World's Worst skeet/Trap Shooter. Bar none. I use a modified or full choke 12 gauge with #8 shot. The only advise I can give is don't shoot like me.

·
Well-Known Mumbler
Aromatherapy 😍
4,257 Posts
The shotguns I've seen and used usually come with an improved cylinder, modified, and full. Then you buy the inbetween chokes. I'm sure others are different.

Take a few shots with the Imp Cyl and if it breaks them satisfactorily, stay there for a few shots before moving to Mod, just to get some practice. As he gets better and distance increases, go to Full.

I'm one of those guys Mule spoke of using Full as not to get sloppy with shot placement. But, as said, the fun of the game is most important.

Reactions: Mule

·
Super Moderator
25,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The shotguns I've seen and used usually come with an improved cylinder, modified, and full. Then you buy the inbetween chokes. I'm sure others are different.

Take a few shots with the Imp Cyl and if it breaks them satisfactorily, stay there for a few shots before moving to Mod, just to get some practice. As he gets better and distance increases, go to Full.

I'm one of those guys Mule spoke of using Full as not to get sloppy with shot placement. But, as said, the fun of the game is most important.
Broot,

He's using a Mossberg 500 with a 22" barrel with the Accu-chokes. This is his first year and we'll see how he does before I go buying a high dollar trap gun.

Reactions: Broot

·
Well-Known Mumbler
Aromatherapy 😍
4,257 Posts
Broot,

He's using a Mossberg 500 with a 22" barrel with the Accu-chokes. This is his first year and we'll see how he does before I go buying a high dollar trap gun.
Yep, should have come with the three chokes I mentioned. I have the same gun except with the 26" Accu-Choke barrel. It works.

Not sure if you mentioned his age, but especially If he's younger, I'd recommend cleaning and lightly lubing the action right before using the gun. Some of the younger shooters I've taught have problems with "short shucking" the pump guns. More so if the gun has sat for awhile since being cleaned. Still, a few get it jammed up short shucking. "You're not going to hurt the gun, put a little more muscle into it and make sure that spent shell clears."

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.