The Firearms Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,374 Posts
I'm one of those guys Mule spoke of using Full as not to get sloppy with shot placement. But, as said, the fun of the game is most important
You can count me in on that too. Years ago I shot a LOT of skeet and after a few decades away from the sport I've been having a go with trap for the last 5-6 months. I'm shooting a Winchester Model 12, 12 gauge, full choke that was made in 1947. I don't have a choice for chokes :D

·
Super Moderator
25,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Broot,
My grandson is 12. They are only allowed 1 shell at a time and can't chamber it until it's their shot. The gun gets a good cleaning and oiling after every use.

Reactions: Broot

·
Super Moderator
25,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Thanks guys for all the help and great information. I was wandering around Cabelas tonight and came across some 1 oz #8s listed at 1250 fps. I'm going to have him give these a try and do a pattern test.

Reactions: Broot

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I use #8 Magnum shot. Less deformation coming down the barrel. You do need to pattern, and fishing d what loads work with what shells. My 870 after upgrades does very poorly with AA hulls, and Red Dot, a little better with Remington hulls and Red Dot, but awesome with AA hulls and 700x. I'm new to the competition aspect, but followed a lot of advice from some guys at the clun, and research. I only use 1 once of #8 shot. A lot of guys at the club use only 1 once or 7/8oz you actually break more clays with 1 once and 7/8 ounce then you would with 1 1/8 ounce. I do have some 1 1/8 ounce loads in #7 1/2 for those super windy days like when I went shooting in almost 40 mph cross winds. Which sucked lol, but that's a special sceneries round only

·
Registered
711 Posts
Most all leagues and clubs require factory shells for league.
71/2 or 8's. Good trap shooter's will break targets before they get beyond 30 yards from 16 yds. if they have a 20 to 26 yard handicap It will never get beyond 40 yd's or less. It is hard to believe how soon the target is dust after it leaves the house.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.