The Firearms Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Banned
479 Posts
That works really well until you shoot black powder shells (haha). I recently purchased an old German Cape Gun that was manufactured around 1890ish. Loaded myself up some brass shells with a “light” load (according to load data) and headed off to the range. I’m far from great but I’m consistently hitting around 23. Well that was until I tried my new treasure. I think I ended up hitting around 8 birds which it’s fun to shoot sure, but I like hitting the little buggers even better. Wasn’t till the end of my round that I figured out that I was shooting WAY behind the birds, those BP loads are moving considerably slower than a smokeless 16 gauge load. Drrrrrrrrrrr :confused:, what a dope I was.
May be on the skeet range but you shouldn't even be able to tell a difference on the trap range.

·
Banned
479 Posts
I wouldn't shoot at all at some of those prices. I think we pay about $4 a round for trap or skeet. I don't even remember what the sporting clays course was.

I've got an electric thrower and shoot out in my yard more than any place else. $5/100 clays and $4 a box for shells.

I've got a few guns I shoot, a Winchester 101, Rem 1100 trap and 1148 premier trap and a little Topper trap. Honestly I'd as soon shoot that Topper as any thing but we all probably shoot my little 410's here at home more than anything else out here in the yard on clays.

·
Banned
479 Posts
Guess it’s just me being an idiot.
If you are on station 1 or 5 and get a hard left bird or a hard right on 5 then you might need a little nudge more or backing up to the handicap positions are going to need a hair more lead but 16 yard line, I'd bet that gun is just shooting a little different than your regular gun. If you are going to use it a lot you should pattern it on paper to be sure it is shooting where it points. I've got a creek runs through my place and I'll just take a couple shots off my bridge in to the water or the mud bank with any gun I'm suspicious of. It get's pretty obvious if one is shooting left or right and it's a lot more common than most people suspect. ESPECIALLY MOSSBERGS.

·
Super Moderator
38,591 Posts
I can never get them to stand still long enough for me to get a bead on them!

Reactions: jsjj388

·
Premium Member
9,360 Posts
Well I tell ya, I’d believe you if it wasn’t for the fact that I kept working my lead out further and further and it wasn’t till I doubled to tripled the distance that I started hitting birds......and with some consistency. Maybe I’m stopping my swing, don’t think so, and ambushing the buggers.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Well I tell ya, I’d believe you if it wasn’t for the fact that I kept working my lead out further and further and it wasn’t till I doubled to tripled the distance that I started hitting birds......and with some consistency. Maybe I’m stopping my swing, don’t think so, and ambushing the buggers.
U mean U lead :)

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Is it true trap shotguns have elevated the back side of the rib barrel so the gun shots high?

·
Banned
479 Posts
Yes, most quality trap guns are intend to SHOOT just a little high.

I don't have a clue what you are talking about with that "elevated the back side of the rib..."

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #32 (Edited)

·
Banned
479 Posts
They shoot a little high so a rising bird will travel through the shot stream giving trap shooters a better chance of hitting rising birds. It is why you want to shoot birds traveling up, they are closer, the gun is designed for it.

The rib should have nothing to do with shot placement if the gun fits you properly and you know how to and use it properly. The comb of the stock on a trap gun is your "rear sight" if you want to think of shotguns in those terms. You "point" it with both eyes open and never stop the gun/aim but the comb of the stock is what gives you the reference from your eye where you are pointing. It's why trap guns have "straight" stocks.

Reactions: joe45c

·
Premium Member
19,221 Posts
All my trap guns shoot high. My Browning BPS trap shoots so high I need to aim a foot under the clay to hit it. Thats too high for me. I can't get a good score with it. My Beretta Black Onyx I shoot just under the clay. I have 4 trap guns and they all shoot high.

If I use one of my field guns I need to cover the clay to get a hit. It is easier to use a trap gun so you can see the clay as you shoot.

Reactions: Jack Ryan

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
All my trap guns shoot high. My Browning BPS trap shoots so high I need to aim a foot under the clay to hit it. Thats too high for me. I can't get a good score with it. My Beretta Black Onyx I shoot just under the clay. I have 4 trap guns and they all shoot high.

If I use one of my field guns I need to cover the clay to get a hit. It is easier to use a trap gun so you can see the clay as you shoot.
go figure, last night I started to shot better but the covering the clay is a hard thing to do, right away birds are getting easier to hit but the left right ones are a big pain in my comb. :)

·
Premium Member
19,221 Posts
That's why they make trap guns. It is hard to cover the clay. You can't see it. I have seen a lot of guys who are good at trap using a field gun but I am not one of them.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
all now I have to beg my wife AGAIN :rolleyes:

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Well I'm retired and she is still working for our health insurance, thanks to Obobiggears :mad:

She is a wonderful lady, paralegal for a large law firm. Works her tail off, retiring in one year is what we think?? Or hope ;)

·
Registered
12 Posts
1 1/8oz #7 1/2 with extra full chokes... break them on the way up about 2/3 of way to apex.

trap is a game of consistency. its all about muscle memory and doing the same exact thing every time: head postion on gun, grip in the same place every time, clear your mind, visualize the bird, call for it. It takes 1000s of shots to get good, but it's less about breaking every bird in the beginning and becoming CONSISTENT with the mechanics. The birds will crumble with consistency

21 - 40 of 40 Posts