Trap shooting tips??

Discussion in 'Competition Shooting Forum' started by EdP, Apr 12, 2018.

1. Firpo

Firpo Well-Known Member Supporting Member

$3.50 per round? Dang, I wish. We’re at $7.50/round and thats if you buy 10 rounds a crack.

2. eastbanks

eastbanks Active Member

I shoot trap twice a week and sporting clays-skeet twice a month. trap- 3.50-25 birds , sporting clays 11.00-50 birds and skeet 5.00-25 birds

Jack Ryan and Firpo like this.

3. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

The 1st thing to learn is to point a shotgun (not aim) and focus on the clay. Don't wait until they are falling. Get them on the way up.

If the gun doesn't fit its hard to get good at this game. I use a full choke for all yardage. #8 shot 1 1/8 loads at 3 dram.

I use a Remington 1100 Competition Trap, Beretta Black Onyx O/U, Browning BT-99, Browning BPS pump and a Ruger Red Label O/U.

I am an over 20 shooter but my son is really good. He finished in 1st place in the league last year in the AA class. That was out of over 350 shooters. He is a 96 out of 100 shooter. He only shoots his Browning BT-99 with full choke.

lcn, Jack Ryan and Broot like this.
  4. Firpo

If I was charged those prices I think I’d shoot a lot more. So you don’t think I’m full of beans here’s a screenshot on the rates where I can shoot.

F8C5891C-12B0-40CD-89D8-A26D22F8BDA4.jpeg

5. EdP

EdP Member

15 a round for league here and 10 for practice

6. Jack Ryan

Jack Ryan Active Member

May be on the skeet range but you shouldn't even be able to tell a difference on the trap range.

7. Jack Ryan

Jack Ryan Active Member

I wouldn't shoot at all at some of those prices. I think we pay about $4 a round for trap or skeet. I don't even remember what the sporting clays course was.

I've got an electric thrower and shoot out in my yard more than any place else. $5/100 clays and $4 a box for shells.

I've got a few guns I shoot, a Winchester 101, Rem 1100 trap and 1148 premier trap and a little Topper trap. Honestly I'd as soon shoot that Topper as any thing but we all probably shoot my little 410's here at home more than anything else out here in the yard on clays.

8. Firpo

Guess it’s just me being an idiot.

9. Jack Ryan

Jack Ryan Active Member

If you are on station 1 or 5 and get a hard left bird or a hard right on 5 then you might need a little nudge more or backing up to the handicap positions are going to need a hair more lead but 16 yard line, I'd bet that gun is just shooting a little different than your regular gun. If you are going to use it a lot you should pattern it on paper to be sure it is shooting where it points. I've got a creek runs through my place and I'll just take a couple shots off my bridge in to the water or the mud bank with any gun I'm suspicious of. It get's pretty obvious if one is shooting left or right and it's a lot more common than most people suspect. ESPECIALLY MOSSBERGS.

10. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I can never get them to stand still long enough for me to get a bead on them!

jsjj388 likes this.
  11. EdP

EdP Member

that my problem as well, so I tell folks :confused:

12. Firpo

Well I tell ya, I’d believe you if it wasn’t for the fact that I kept working my lead out further and further and it wasn’t till I doubled to tripled the distance that I started hitting birds......and with some consistency. Maybe I’m stopping my swing, don’t think so, and ambushing the buggers.

joe45c likes this.
  13. EdP

EdP Member

U mean U lead :)

14. Jack Ryan

Jack Ryan Active Member

They'll stop moving when they hit the ground, so the water swatters can even break a few clays.

eastbanks likes this.
  15. EdP

EdP Member

Is it true trap shotguns have elevated the back side of the rib barrel so the gun shots high?