Trapdoor and 1873 Peacemaker

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Big Mak, Jan 6, 2017.

1. Big Mak

Big Mak Well-Known Member Supporting Member

A couple of outdoor photos today. Last photo shows the new holster.
    Enjoy!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

jim brady, jwdurf, Firpo and 6 others like this.
  2. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Nice!!

I want that rifle.

Big Mak and crystalphoto like this.

3. sharps4590

sharps4590 Well-Known Member

Talk about going together like peanut butter and jelly....excellent!!!!!!!!!!!

jim brady, Grizzley1, joe45c and 2 others like this.
  4. cpt-t

cpt-t Member

Big Mak: Nice looking Pistol and Rifle. I just got an original Trapdoor Rifle myself that is, IMHO Outstanding condition also. I have yet to fire it. It has just been too darn cold here in my part of Kansas to go to the range. I will be using a load of 35 grs of IMR 3031 and a 405 gr Hard Cast LRNFP Bullets. What is your reload for your Trapdoor Rifle, and just what kind of range do you shoot your 45-70 Trapdoor at. I am hoping to be able to hit the Steel Silhouette Targets and Steel Hanging Gongs at 200 to 300 yds. On somewhat of a regular basis at the range. I am a real 45-70 fan and have several of them. And I have been shooting and reloading for a 45-70 for many years now. The load We use is both very comfortable and very accurate for Me & my Son.
    ken

5. Big Mak

Hi Cpt-T
    I reload both smokeless and black powder using 405 gr and 500 gr bullets.
    For smokeless I like AA5744. A bit spendy, but very clean burning and it meters well for a pellet-type powder.
    For BP, whatever my local store has in stock. My last 150 rds were Old Enfield 2F powder with 65 grs, compressed, using a vegetable wad between the bullet base and the powder.

Regarding distance, 100 and 200 yards depending on which range I'm at.
    Im sure you will discover that a stock front sight will shoot very high at 100 yards as these rifles were designed to starting shoot accurately at 200 yds in battle ready position.

If you find you're having issues with accuracy at 100 yards I have a friend that will make you a custom set of Titanium front sights and you can experiment. $35 for 4 titanium sites is a pretty good deal. I found the .304 height optimal while zero'ing in the Buffington sight at the 200 mark. (at 100 yds, I adjust it to 200, at 200 yds I adjust it to 300 yds.

This video is a 200 yard range while I was shooting in a CMP Garand competition. I came in last naturally but not by too many points!

joe45c and UncleFudd like this.
  6. Bama1022

Bama1022 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I seen a 45-70 Trapdoor at the Range other day , owner had it bought from a LGS. He fired a few rounds but think he got frustrated left, Idiot nearby was blasting away determined to melt down his AR

jim brady and joe45c like this.
  7. nmckenzie

nmckenzie Well-Known Member

Was lucky enough to score an 1884 rod-bayonet Trapdoor at our LGS, but closest I've been able to come to an SAA is an early series 7.5" .45 Vaquero

Attached Files:

Kweeksdraw likes this.
  8. Big Mak

Oh man, give me some close up fotos of the trapdoor! Quit teasing!

9. nmckenzie

nmckenzie Well-Known Member

This is the only closeup shot I have at this point. Will ask the resident comupter wizard/photo-taker - aka better half - to snap some more. The stock cartouche is SWP 1892 - which I believe was the last year of production, and the markings on the left side of the buttstock would seem to indicate Company H, 6th Infantry Regiment, Rack Number 38.

Attached Files:

Big Mak likes this.
  10. Big Mak

Another 200 yard Garand shoot today.
    It's a lose Garand CMP shoot actually, there were 2x Garands, 1x 308 black rifle and 1 x 223 (both the black guns had 20" match barrels) and my trapdoor.
    Everyone shooting iron sites as usual.

As usual, I only participated in the slow fire portion as I did last month.
    Last month I had 15 out of 30 in the black (13" black center, S-22 NRA targets) with 525 gr black powder cartridges.
    Today I used my 405 gr Powder coated bullets with AA5744 and managed to put 20 out of 30 in the black.
    After comparing slow fire scores only, I managed to beat all 4 of the garand guys with my trapdoor, final score 265. (8 in 10 ring, 12 in 9 ring,7 in 8 ring and 3 in 7 ring)
    One fellow got close, a 264.
    :)
    Of course, I can't touch them in the rapid fire so I don't participate in the rapid fire portion.
    It was a good day!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 7, 2017
  11. jwdurf

jwdurf Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Good shooting Mak. Sounds like a lot of fun.

Kweeksdraw likes this.
  12. Big Mak

It is indeed fun jw, fun with friendships made with firearms as well... I didn't know these guys 5 years ago...

From left to right, Al (Just met him today, Maple Valley kid), Bob Ballard (great great great grandson of Marlin-Ballard? He's a sharp shooter from Montana! I sold him some .45-70 custom front sights) Phil (teaches Women's NRA course, God bless his heart! ;) ) and "Garand" Kevin (far right in the weeds) If you want a text book break down of any garand, he's the guy. :)

jwdurf likes this.
  13. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Y'all need to cut that grass so you can see the targets better!

14. marlin795

marlin795 Well-Known Member

I need to force my brother to hand over the 45-70 Trapdoor so I can go enjoy it. It's a family gun that he keeps locked in his safe. He is always all over the place and I can never catch him or get ahold of him when I go to the range.

Big Mak likes this.
  15. jim brady

jim brady Well-Known Member

May or may not be the case, but I've seen many Trapdoor shooters leave a firing range disappointed. Most times it was that they were using modern factory (expensive) ammo, and those old Trapdoors generally shoot better than a foot high and maybe 8" groups at 100 yards with it. Every Trapdoor I've owned and/or shot liked lead bullets much better than jacketed hunting bullets. My old Cavalry Carbine shoots 2 1/2" to 3" groups at 100 yards - even with a less-than-pristine bore.

Makes it worse when you are at a range with other shooters playing Rambo. (Good thing is that those are the guys who almost always leave their once-fired brass behind!) Rapid fire is fun (maybe a waste of ammo - but fun!) as long as you have the range to yourself. I used to like to take the .30 Carbine, the M1A, the Garand or the Sp1 to my old Gun Club range and fire rapid aimed fire at a steel gong set up at 200 yards - but only when I was the only person on the range.

Big Mak likes this.