The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently traded into a Remington 700 in .223 Rem with the heavy varmint barrel. It's got a decent scope on it (that will almost certainly be upgraded later), and I have a Harris bipod already ordered. That's the good part.
The bad part is that it's new enough to have the X Mark trigger. And that has to be fixed.

What is the best option? Timney? Shilen? Just a good trigger job on the factory trigger? Something else?

All opinions welcome. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I'm surprised; the X Mark Pro triggers I've dry fired felt pretty good. They are adjustable. If you are replacing the trigger there are many: Jewell, Rifle Basix, Timney, to name a few. They all do the job but I've always gone with the Timney. You will probably have to do a slight modification with a dremel tool to the inside of the stock; no big deal.

·
Registered
4,608 Posts
I have used Timney but have went to Bold on my Mausers because I'm cheap and I can't really tell much difference for the money.

G

·
The best is a Jewell. They are also $$$$$$$$. My 700 vls has a timney in it. They are good triggers. My m98 has a canjar.

I would put a timney trigger and a Callahan firing pin as well. It made a huge difference.

Just remember if you replace you REM trigger keep your old one incase you need to send it to Remington. If they see an aftermarket trigger they will take it off and put a factory on and keep your plus charge you for a new trigger. New Remington triggers are $150+........

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
I can't tell ya anything about the new XMark triggers. Haven't had a chance to dig on one yet. They look basically like the old Remington factory trigger except with a full range of adjustments built in. I guess I would try to clean it up before replacing it.

I have ran Canjars in the past and I love em.
Most of my current rifles that have been upgraded have Timneys on em now though.

Tried a couple of the Bold triggers on Mauser and Remington, wasn't all that impressed with them as an upgrade on the Remingtons though...adjustable yes, but the factory Remington triggers were easier to clean/tune up.

Never tried Jewell myself but I know a few guys that have installed em on varmint rifles. Good stuff.

Rifle Basix. I ordered their replacement for a Ruger 77/22 but sent it back. the machining was not pretty. I just exchanged it for a Timney instead...didn't have time to hassle with trying a second attempt on that rifle. It might've been a fluke me getting a bad piece.

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I suppose that if I'm already assuming the cost of a replacement trigger, I might as well try to get the factory one up to what I want. The worst that could happen is that I ruin it and buy the aftermarket trigger I already expected to buy.

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
Adjust the pull weight screw ONLY. Its the one in the front filled with goo. pick it out and stick a 1/16 hex key in there sand turn it counter clockwise til it breaks where you want it. Only problem I find with them is they are pretty inconsistent below 3 pounds and will drop the striker if set to 2 or less. So really 3 is about as low as you can safely and consistently go with them. Course for a tactical rifle, its perfect.

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
And use a trigger pull gauge. and don't be a sissy with the bolt. operate it with authority to check for the sear dropping the striker (the rear of the bolt will follow when you close it)

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've got the RCBS trigger pull gauge, and I'll definitely be putting that to use. And I was hoping to go less than 3 lbs, but I will set it there and see how I like it.

Thanks for the advice, everyone. Hopefully I have a chance to do this on Wednesday or Thursday.

·
Registered
5,963 Posts
I've had three Remingtons with the Timney triggers and have enjoyed all three.

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
The timneys are great. I also like the Rifle basix and the jewells. But a factory X mark can be made OK. and itll save a couple franklins.

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've got it set to break at 2 lbs 14 oz (the lowest that it seemed to like consistently). Now do I need to put some kind of lacquer on the set screw so it doesn't move? What is the right choice for that?

·
Registered
981 Posts
I've got it set to break at 2 lbs 14 oz (the lowest that it seemed to like consistently). Now do I need to put some kind of lacquer on the set screw so it doesn't move? What is the right choice for that?
Some nail polish will hold it. Please don't use pink.:D

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Some nail polish will hold it. Please don't use pink.:D
It'll be hidden up inside, so you wouldn't see it anyway. ;)

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
Nail polish or loctite. I've seen more people recommend the nail polish because it breaks clean.

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
I use a dab of super glue and set it with a cigarette lighter.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts