The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
I replaced a trigger on my Colt 1911 & it dropped in no problem, The only thing is when I replace the beavertail is now has resistance when I'm pulling it back to fire. It makes a click sound & it is not going back smooth. Anyone know what can be done to correct it, Thanks

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
How familiar are you with 'smithing the 1911 firing mechanism?

It's hard to tell without seeing the pistol in person, but it sounds like you need to fit the safety to your new trigger bow. The safety lever is probably not clearing the bow far enough and it's rubbing.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How familiar are you with 'smithing the 1911 firing mechanism?

It's hard to tell without seeing the pistol in person, but it sounds like you need to fit the safety to your new trigger bow. The safety lever is probably not clearing the bow far enough and it's rubbing.
Hello
I am familiar with the 1911 platform. I put a new extended thumb safety in today & had to file & fit properly. Maybe I need to file a bit more? Could it be the sear spring leaf needs to be tweeked?

·
Registered
10,066 Posts
GzzV:

"Drop-in" trigger parts usually do that in a 1911 but sometimes they have to be fitted. The 1911 ignition system is not all that easy to understand and is buried inside the frame, making seeing how it works difficult. The disconnector runs up the middle of the sear and the three legged single leaf spring for the disconnector, the sear, and the grip safety is fiddley to get back in correctly. Add to that the rather complicated surfaces on the safety, that control the trigger system, that can be hard to understand how exactly to fit.

I've done trigger work on a few 1911's and getting the regular safety to work correctly took several tries on one (read that, I screwed up a safety in the attempt). A lot can be gained in understanding how it works by only partially installing the main spring housing just enough to retain the flat spring for the disconnector, the sear, and the grip safety, and also removing the grip safety. But the safety is still not totally visible and what to do to make it work is not intuitive.

Make sure you got it back together correctly. If the problem persists then take it to a good 1911 gunsmith. While it there have him do a trigger job too and he will make the trigger really sweet, even better than drop-in match level parts.

LDBennett

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
No. if your grip safety shows and feels some resistence when setting in the safe position then make the adjusment on the grip safety. thumb safety has nothing to do with it. also make sure the grip safety isnt binding up on the mainspring housing.

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
The trigger isn't sitting flush in the track. and the bow is slightly raised in the rear causing your grip safety to contact it. You need to stone down the top and bottom edges of your trigger. It should just slide into the track lose, but not have a lot of play. Im bettn money its a little snug as you push it home.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you Guys. I'm checking the grip safety & the MSH now. The thumb safety is working smooth so it's not that.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The trigger isn't sitting flush in the track. and the bow is slightly raised in the rear causing your grip safety to contact it. You need to stone down the top and bottom edges of your trigger. It should just slide into the track lose, but not have a lot of play. Im bettn money its a little snug as you push it home.
Yes it was earlier today but I filed the top & bottom so that's good now. It's sliding smoothly

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
The 1911 fire control system is not at all hard to understand. Its actually very very simple compared to the mechanisms being used in pistols today.

Study the design and learn it so that you can do a full parts dump and reassemble from memory. No watching youtube, in other words. Then you will be ready to begin learning to fit parts to it. The most important thing with any gunsmithing task.. Especially fire control parts, go slow, stop and check often and DONT USE POWER TOOLS.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
The 1911 fire control system is not at all hard to understand. Its actually very very simple compared to the mechanisms being used in pistols today.

Study the design and learn it so that you can do a full parts dump and reassemble from memory. No watching youtube, in other words. Then you will be ready to begin learning to fit parts to it. The most important thing with any gunsmithing task.. Especially fire control parts, go slow, stop and check often and DONT USE POWER TOOLS.
JLA

100% correct in what you say. In 2 years of buying 1911 pistols I can now do complete take down & put together with my eyes closed. Fitting parts is another story. I did learn how to do the thumb safety today (yes on YouTube GO Wilson Combat was the video) & it's working correctly & NO POWER TOOLS Thanks for all the help

1 - 11 of 11 Posts