Trigger technique

Discussion in 'Disabled Hunters & Shooters Forum' started by bucket0331, Jun 12, 2017.

1. bucket0331

bucket0331 New Member

I am helping a new shooter and she has had carpal tunnel surgery,which I am sure was messed up. The strength in her trigger finger is weak , any suggestions for trigger squeeze technique?

drymag likes this.
  2. Firpo

Firpo Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Sorry to hear they botched your friend's surgery. How is the strength in her middle finger? Wait, what is she shooting? I was thinking a switch to a middle finger on a rifle wouldn't be that big of a deal but something else maybe.

drymag likes this.

3. bucket0331

bucket0331 New Member

She is shooting a pistol ,a Bond Arms , just got it back after getting some trigger work done on it hoping that will help a lot , it had 16lb + pull an got it down to a more reasonable 6lb.

drymag and Firpo like this.
  4. dbcooper

dbcooper Well-Known Member

there is not much in way of technique but I would say for her to work on her hand strengh by using something like this.[​IMG]

drymag likes this.
  5. Tangentalstorm

Tangentalstorm Member

Afghanistan, normally The Shenandoah Valley
    16lb? Sounds like she had to darn near stand on it to get it to go off. Get it down to around a crisp 3.5lbs and even the weakest hand should be able to activate it.

drymag likes this.
  6. bucket0331

bucket0331 New Member

It was tuff even when I was shooting it , that's when I took to get worked on. The pistol has plenty of room in the trigger guard for possible use of both index finger pull ? Both hands were worked on with about same result.

drymag likes this.
  7. dbcooper

dbcooper Well-Known Member

It WAS at 16 lbs and now is down to 6 lbs

drymag likes this.
  8. Tangentalstorm

Tangentalstorm Member

Afghanistan, normally The Shenandoah Valley
    A guy I knew once had a rifled musket that he said wouldn't shoot straight so he sold it to me very very cheap cause he thought is was a lemon. I was thinking I would buy it and take it apart and rebuild it into a shooter. Well once I got the thing and started playing with it I figured out it had a 30lb + trigger pull on it. So I took the lock apart and did a little grinding, polishing and hardening on the lock tumbler and got it down to right at a crisp 5 lbs. The thing is a tack driver now. Just goes to show that trigger pull is VERY important for accuracy.

Another thing that might help her is a little grip tape on the trigger. A solid purchase with the finger can help with perceptible trigger pull. Now if she does use grip tape remember it might give her a bit of drag on the squeeze of the trigger but it should help alleviate, just a touch, the amount of pressure/strength required to activate the trigger.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2017
    nmckenzie and drymag like this.
  9. jwdurf

jwdurf Well-Known Member Supporting Member

If the pistol fits her hand well that will help too. If the grip is too big for her hand she won't get her trigger finger in the correct position and that will exacerbate the problem. She could always learn a two handed grip using her weak (not dominant) hand and trigger finger. (If she's right handed, shoot left handed.)

Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
  10. Don Fischer

Don Fischer Well-Known Member

I think the guy's name was Clark, California gunsmith. May be gone by now. I fooled with a DA revolver he'd worked over years ago. Bobbed the hammer, and put a small rubber in the trigger guard. When the trigger was pulled it stopped at the bumper and let of was easier than a single action, much easier. Guy that had it said it was built as some kind of competitive gun. I'd pretty much bet she'd have no trouble with that. Just don't know where to get it done if Clark is gone.