The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am out of 3FG powder. Happened to go to Sportsman's Warehouse looking for Unique (of course no luck), but they did have a can of "Triple Seven" powder. Question: Is this Black Powder or an equivalent of FFFG? I know nothing about this powder. I use either 2FG or 3FG for .45-70 loads and am curious if this stuff is the same (or close) to Goex BP.

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
Substitute . I got a few cans of it but haven't used but a few times in a cap and ball revolver . It's suppose to be cut down when loading but can't recall exactly . Around 15-20% ????? I grabbed it last year just cause it was only thing on the shelf !! It shot and cleaned ok . I still like the real stuff and thankful I am stocked on it . When it runs out will shoot my home made stuff then if run out of the ingredients then will pull it out !!!

·
Premium Member
15,985 Posts
It is a fructose based, imitation black powder. It is hotter than regular black powder and I think Hodgon recommends reducing your normal charge by some smallish percentage. Tests I did several years ago in my Shiloh Sharps in 40-70 prove this out. T-7 was accurate enough but it wouldn't shoot with real BP.

I'm a dedicated, died in the wool, bona fide proponent and user of real black powder but, if I couldn't get the real thing, I'd be using T-7.

·
Registered
12,049 Posts
I’m just guessing here Jim but I believe it’s a BP substitute although not measured by volume like Pyrodex.
You measure all bp substitutes by volume, they have a lighter specific gravity than real black powder and if you weigh the charge you will be using too much powder unless you contact the manufacturer and find out the percentage you need to reduce the charge weight by. If you weigh 100 grains of real black and weigh 100 grains of a substitute and then use a volumetric measure to compare the volume you will find that the substitutes will be some where around a third to half again more powder by volume depending on the substitute. Not a real issue for cartridge loads or revolvers because the case or cylinder only holds so much by volume. In a front stuffer there is no case or cylinder to prevent you from overcharging.

·
Premium Member
11,571 Posts
Thanks for clearing that up @Grizzley1

What I really meant to write was that it’s not a 1/1 substitute as I believe Pyroddx is. Maybe??🥴

·
Registered
12,049 Posts
Bp substitutes are designed to give pressure levels and burn rates similar to real bp when measured by volume. They are not exactly 1:1, even real bp varies from brand to brand, but they are close enough for safety when measured by volume.

·
Premium Member
1,175 Posts
I think Hodgdon recommends a 15% reduction from BP.

Reactions: Firpo

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
I am out of 3FG powder. Happened to go to Sportsman's Warehouse looking for Unique (of course no luck), but they did have a can of "Triple Seven" powder. Question: Is this Black Powder or an equivalent of FFFG? I know nothing about this powder. I use either 2FG or 3FG for .45-70 loads and am curious if this stuff is the same (or close) to Goex BP.
I really can't say for sure. I believe most use it as a substitute for black powder FFG.

·
Registered
6,029 Posts
T7 has a 15% reduction to duplicate bp charges. I never used it because here it's almost twice the price of Pyrodex, or was the last time I saw any. If I have to order online I'll get Swiss. If I can find Pyrodex locally I'll get that.

·
Registered
12,049 Posts
T7 has a 15% reduction to duplicate bp charges. I never used it because here it's almost twice the price of Pyrodex, or was the last time I saw any. If I have to order online I'll get Swiss. If I can find Pyrodex locally I'll get that.
Is that a 15% reduction in the actual charge weight to replicate bp charges or a 15% reduction in the volumetric measure? The only thing I've ever used it in was percussion front stuffers and I don't load heavy charges. I just use what ever it takes to give me the best group and that's far from a max load :)

·
Registered
6,029 Posts
Is that a 15% reduction in the actual charge weight to replicate bp charges or a 15% reduction in the volumetric measure? The only thing I've ever used it in was percussion front stuffers and I don't load heavy charges. I just use what ever it takes to give me the best group and that's far from a max load :)
Volumetric measure.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts