The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I trying to bring back to life a Winchester 1906 i found in my father-in-laws garage. He's definitely not a "gun-guy" and knew nothing about it other than he's had it "forever". i broke it down and saw some true, ancient-backwoods-gunsmithing (someone lost a screw and forced a solid piece of brass in its place. nothing a dremmel and some time couldnt fix). This gun had been harvested for parts a few times since then as well. After doing some research on the serial # i found it was a "Standard" 1906 made in 1912. A local gun-doctor i know and i have been working on it for a few weeks and got it firing and functioning about 85%, but now we're stuck. i think i have 2 problems left.

1: It doesnt consistently feed rounds from the magazine to the chamber and sometimes it wont pull from the magazine at all. And sometimes it pulls from the magazine and falls inside the gun where i can even close the bolt...... I've replaced the carrier lever and the cartridge stop, i desperately dont want to replace the whole carrier as they are impossible to find.

2: As i pump the gun to cycle it, there is so much pressure on the underside of the bolt from the hammer it makes it hard to cycle.

Any help, suggestions, whatever you got would be huge. Below are pictures of my bolt issue, next will come photos of the carrier
I am loading some photos, but if you need a different view to help, let me know and i'll post it.
Thanks!
Chuck C.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,379 Posts
Have you had the butt stock off to see if there is something interfering with the hammer or the mainspring?

That rifle doesn't "pull from the magazine"; the magazine spring pushes the cartridge back into the carrier. The inner magazine tube may be bent or dirty or the spring may be bent/broken or rusty.

Jim

·
Banned
5,425 Posts
I suggest starting with some 0000 steel wool and cleaning every single part until there is no rust whatsoever. I would completely disassemble the rifle and do that first. Looks like rust may be the main problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have you had the butt stock off to see if there is something interfering with the hammer or the mainspring?

That rifle doesn't "pull from the magazine"; the magazine spring pushes the cartridge back into the carrier. The inner magazine tube may be bent or dirty or the spring may be bent/broken or rusty.

Jim
Jim, i replaced the spring and hammer stirrup too, this was another part "harvested" years ago. Could it be tough because its a new spring, and something that may go away with time? Inner magazine tube isnt bent or dirty, we took that apart too. It may be a little weak, but i dont know as i have nothing to compare it to. Thats a cheap part so i might as well replace that just to remove that from the list of possibilities. Thanks big time buddy!
-C

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I suggest starting with some 0000 steel wool and cleaning every single part until there is no rust whatsoever. I would completely disassemble the rifle and do that first. Looks like rust may be the main problem.
I am the definition of a novice, so if anything else hits you that's obvious, assume i don't know and tell me. I'll try anything at this point. My "Gun Doctor (not gunsmith)" has a killer box(looks like a sandblaster) that he dropped the parts into and sprayed down with a high-pressure solvent spray, but i dont think we ever put steel wool on it. I'll give that a try this weekend and let you know. My gun-doc thinks the piece of the carrier that sticks farthest on the bottom is worn and may be causing it, unfortunately it is part of the carrier, not a replaceable part. Thoughts?
Thanks for your help man!!!
-C

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.