Trump tells governors to let churches open or he'll do it.

Discussion in 'Religious Discussions' started by seneca, May 22, 2020 at 5:21 PM.

1. seneca

seneca Well-Known Member

I listen to the company ( Democratic ) line about closing churches to prevent the spread blah, blah, blah. I agree we need to be prudent, but as usual it turns out to be over kill. I don't know how many of the USA's 52 governors have attended church on a regular basis but I'd say it's probably few. So here's a little observation I have for these leaders of men. I've been a faithful church goer for 65 or so years and have observed that for the last 30 or more of those years people in the churches I've been in have practiced social distancing. Not by design, mind you, but because the attendance has dwindled to the point that the average church is about 40% occupied and there is PLENTY of room to sit without compromising the current rules that are foisted upon us. This is very sad to have observed as the years have passed. Recently, two of the local Catholic churches have merged and one was sold to be used as a private school. But the parking lot of the surviving church is hardly overflowing. I'm never as at peace as I am sitting in a pew and bathing in the message and presence of my Savior. It is such a shelter from the world and it's troubles and a time to relax the spirit. Too bad that fewer and fewer of my fellow citizens don't feel that way. They just don't know what they're missing!
    So I would encourage the Governors to make a trip around their state on Sunday. They would see that there is no issue on social distancing and they should keep their edicts away from our churches. They might even find God!!

Gudaki, jim brady, jbmid1 and 7 others like this.
  2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Fifty two?

There are 50 states, so that would only be 50 governors.

But then there is Puerto Rico, American Samoa, the US Virgin islands, and Guam. Each of these United States territories has a governor, so that makes 54.

The Kenyan thinks there are 57 United States, but he's a moron.

Where do you come up with 52?

3. BlackEagle

BlackEagle TFF Chaplain Supporting Member

This article came in my emails today...

The Post-Pandemic Church and Pre-existing Conditions
    https://breakpoint.org/the-post-pandemic-church-and-pre-existing-conditions/

You are right, seneca.

There are two kinds of churches these days. Those who are Christ centered, and those that are trying to be popular.

The Christ-centered churches preach God's Word and focus on worshipping Him and helping the members of the congregations to grow in their relationship with God, and as God says in Ephesians 4:12, equipping the saints for the work of the ministry. These will have a solid base of growing Christians who do what they can to bring people to Christ. Some of these new converts will come to this church; others will go to other churches. These people are focused on the harvest, not on growing a church. A growing church is what you might call a side benefit.

The churches trying to be popular don't preach the Bible. They offer nice sounding secular homilies that make people feel good. They fit in with whatever popular PC stuff is going around. They will fail in part because they are competing with other Sunday morning activities--golf, hangovers, going out to breakfast, various club activities and so on.

4. bamajoey

bamajoey Well-Known Member

Reading this, Joel Osteen comes to mind. Nothing but a phony who has got rich making people feel good.

5. BlackEagle

BlackEagle TFF Chaplain Supporting Member

I was thinking of many other churches. The Episcopal church, Church of Scotland over here, many mainline denominations have got their eyes off God and onto the world.

Gudaki, jim brady, jbmid1 and 4 others like this.
  6. sharps4590

sharps4590 Well-Known Member

Well, ours must be doing something right. There's so many in attendance we have 3 Sunday services and they're all pretty full. Christmas Eve service had over 1,000 people with standing room only...and this is in a community of 19,000+ people, not counting the county or students. It's pretty amazing the number of college students who attend and even more amazing the number who are active. Both Christian Churches in town have been experiencing impressive growth...and not just pew fillers...these folks are hungry and active. We moved from one Christian Church to the other. The one we left, no animosity or fight or argument, we simply moved for a while and, who knows, we might go back. Sure got some strong affections and connections there. Anyway, our old church is in the midst of a 1.1 million dollar addition/revamp/remodel. I liked the old facility but it did need updating and enlarged as we'd outgrown it.

In line with what BE said, they are Bible preaching churches. Being old I'd like a little more fire and brimstone preaching but that kind has died out with the old preachers I suppose.

7. bumblebee

bumblebee Well-Known Member

Ok, let's see here...there can only be 50 people in my church, but 1000 people can be roaming around the big box stores?

Gudaki, jim brady, jbmid1 and 8 others like this.
  8. sharps4590

sharps4590 Well-Known Member

9. flboots

flboots Well-Known Member

Going by the head line. I believe it should be up to the individual church how they want to open all the way or slowly open. I don't believe that the Government has the right to close down places of worship unless every business closes down, no essential business. Everyone or none. I also believe that the federal government only has limited power over states rights. I like Trump hes a good president but he is overstepping his bounds on this one.

jim brady and BlackEagle like this.
  10. howlnmad

howlnmad Old Guy Doing Things Moderator Supporting Member

Ours is still closed only because of the governor of Va. Our conference spreads through Tn, Va, Ga and Ky. Our bishop wants us to open unified. She's instore for a lot of hate mail. Our congregation wants back in the doors.

BlackEagle likes this.
  11. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I was in Home Depot today and the place was packed. Everyone had masks on but they were not doing social distancing. I can't understand why they can't let churches open if they follow the mask and social distancing rules.

12. gdmoody

gdmoody Full Time Moderator Moderator Supporting Member

Even though our Church has never closed (online services), our church building opens back up on the 7th of June. It will be for Sunday worship only, no Sunday School for a few more weeks.

13. howlnmad

Ours hasn't closed. We are in week 11 of on line service and no activities or group meetings. Our pastor has been doing Zoom youth group meetings and weekly online bible study.

jim brady, BlackEagle and gdmoody like this.
  14. seneca

seneca Well-Known Member

Typo, Alpo. Thanks for catching it!!

jim brady, Alpo and howlnmad like this.
  15. howlnmad

As long as you weren't thinking like o'dumbo...

joe45c, BlackEagle and Alpo like this.