The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Banned
2,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I sold off my Canik TP9SFX. I really wanted this to be my next competition gun but I absolutely hated it. I didn’t get as much as I wanted for it but that tends to be expected with selling used guns. What I did get is going towards my next carry. The idea is to find something that will fit IWB comfortably and stay 3)

Originally, I wanted another 1911 in 45 but a full sized 1911 isn’t the easiest gun in the world to conceal. I don’t dig the commander length 1911s but I did briefly look at a Kimber Micro 9. This endeavor was quickly getting out of my price range.

So, as much as I loath them, I started looking at some of the plastic fantastics designed more towards concealed carry. I’ve more or less got it narrowed down to 3 options.

1) Ruger LCP .380- Smallest and cheapest of the lot but it means adding another caliber to my arsenal and not one I ever seriously considered before. However, you csn pick them up for a song.

2) Ruger EC9- Still a really small gun and really inexpensive. It’s a tad bigger than the LPC but it’s 9mm which is what my other “range guns” are. This is the one I’m leaning towards right now.

3) Mossberg MC1- This is the largest of the 3 but still well within the realm of concealed carry. Also 9mm. I have an odd attraction to this gun and I don’t know why. Maybe it’s because this is Mossberg’s first handgun since Moses parted the Red Sea.

Honorable Mention) The Beretta APX- Closer in size to the Mossberg and considerably more coin than the other 3. Definitely more tacticool looking than the others.

Out of all of them, the 2 Rugers would be the easiest to conceal and the .380 wins in that regard. However, the 9mm Would be good for a few different reasons. Basically, I just want this gun to completely disappear while carrying it and still be enough to stop the BG when needed.

If I do get either Ruger, I’m also grabbing a North American Arms 22 WMR for a BUG.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I can't speak to the other two but my second gun purchase ever was the Mossberg MC1SC and I have had nothing to complain about it. I qualified easily on my CCW test with it and it conceals fine for me IWB or in a shoulder rig.

Easy to shoot, easy to conceal, easy to disassemble for cleaning and putting back together. It takes Glock 43 mags as well as its own, plus I found an ETS 12 rd mag that works in it and is a fine back up to have on hand if more than the 7+1 (or 6+1) standard mags aren't enough in a really bad situation.

·
GUNZILLA
9,220 Posts
It is funny that you find the 1911 full size difficult to conceal. For such a robust caliber I find it the easiest to carry because of its narrowness. Carried one for decades in a Crossbreed super tuck holster without issues at all and now carry a 686+. Anyway it is a moot point. What you need to do is visit "HANDGUNHERO.COM" website it allows you to make a comparison of two guns with a graph that give you the dimensions of height, weight, width, and so on. Pretty neat website. I don't know how to post the link without getting it deleted, I need to learn to take a screen shot with my iMac but it is learning I do not want to do, due to limited storage capacity in my brain.

·
Banned
2,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It takes Glock 43 mags as well as its own,
This is also an attraction for me since the Glock platform is so widespread. Also, those clear plastic mags it comes with look like they would wear out in short order.

It is funny that you find the 1911 full size difficult to conceal. For such a robust caliber I find it the easiest to carry because of its narrowness.
It's not the width but the length. Having a 5 inch barrel jabbing my leg all day kinda sucks.
I'm not a fan of commander length 1911s because they look disproportionate to me. Same grip length but shorter barrel.

What you need to do is visit "HANDGUNHERO" website it allows you to make a comparison of two guns with a graph that give you the dimensions of height, weight, sight, and so on. Pretty neat website.
I will look that up. Sounds like. It could be a fairly useful tool when shopping around for a new gun.

·
Registered
8,004 Posts
This is also an attraction for me since the Glock platform is so widespread. Also, those clear plastic mags it comes with look like they would wear out in short order.

It's not the width but the length. Having a 5 inch barrel jabbing my leg all day kinda sucks.
I'm not a fan of commander length 1911s because they look disproportionate to me. Same grip length but shorter barrel.

I will look that up. Sounds like. It could be a fairly useful tool when shopping around for a new gun.
Looks disproportionate…..who cares? I have owned 3 1911s. A full size Government model, a stubby officer model and a combat commander ….only the commander remains.

·
GUNZILLA
9,220 Posts

I thing handgun hero.com is pretty neat they have firearms listed I never heard of.

·
Banned
2,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looks disproportionate…..who cares
I care. I'm rather OCD about aesthetics. If it looks weird or wrong, I don't want it. To me the commander sized 1911s look wrong.

I just don't get why guys say that a full size 1911 is so hard to conceal. Maybe if you're into wearing skin tight shirts.
I'm 5' 10" and 350 lbs. Everything is skin tight on me. ??

·
Registered
384 Posts
If you’re leaning towards the EC9, you might want to consider the MAX-9. Same size as the EC9 with 10+1 or 12+1 capacity, fiber optic w/ tritium insert front sight, and optics ready. I love mine. I also carry an LCP II but 380 ammo is much harder to find than 9mm.

·
Super Moderator
31,938 Posts
I care. I'm rather OCD about aesthetics. If it looks weird or wrong, I don't want it. To me the commander sized 1911s look wrong.

I'm 5' 10" and 350 lbs. Everything is skin tight on me. ??
Try a nice Hawaiian shirt. I know of a couple of us that do and can easily conceal a full size firearm.

·
Premium Member
21,875 Posts
One gun I never hear anyone talk about. The Ruger Security 9. I bought one for my grandson 2 years ago for Christmas. Everyone that has shot it loves it. He was in Korea for the last 2 years and it was sitting in my safe. I took it out a few times and shot it. It fits my hand nicely and is very accurate. I never tried to carry it as it's not mine. I think it's worth looking at.

·
Registered
608 Posts
I have experience with the LCP and the LC9 (forerunner to the EC9) and can assure you that the Glock 43X is every bit as concealable as either of them, handles well, and is very reliable. Here's how much faith I have in it. It's the gun my wife carries. I wouldn't let her carry something 'iffy'. It has to be dependable! Being a 1911 guy I know it may make you gag and throw up a bit in your mouth to even say Glock, but I'd encourage you to take a look at it. After you handle one just a little soap and water will get your hand cleaned off, no need to amputate.

·
Registered
384 Posts
If you go LCP make sure it is a LCP2. Much more user friendly IMO and hits where it is supposed to.
Or the LCP MAX. Higher capacity, tritium front sight and just a tad bit larger than the LCP and LCP II.

Reactions: shootbrownelk

·
GUNZILLA
9,220 Posts
For me I find the smaller the gun frame and lighter the weight of the gun, the more noticeable and sensitive I am to recoil, and also my accuracy suffers a little. I understand it is fine if you put the time at the range but still for me it is not pleasant to shoot. Against my wishes my wife insisted on buying the 642 SW airweight. To me that gun is more painful to shoot than what I carry now the 686+ with full loads, she only fired that gun once.

·
Super Moderator
31,938 Posts
Against my wishes my wife insisted on buying the 642 SW airweight. To me that gun is more painful to shoot than what I carry now the 686+ with full loads, she only fired that gun once.
I bought the 642 for MsMad, she hates shooting it with the DA only, even after I put a spring kit in it. Trying to find her a 638 locally.

·
Banned
2,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
@NeoBlackdog the Glock 43 is way out of my price range. Need to keep this under the $450 mark. And you're right. Glocks make me feel "unclean." ?

@ms6852 I know the smaller guns can be very snappy with the recoil but this isn't a range gun. This is a stay out of sight until you're needed gun. Sure I will have to put in some range time with it but I won't be shooting it daily. I don't imagine recoil will be an issue if I'm in a situation where it's needed.

·
GUNZILLA
9,220 Posts
I bought the 642 for MsMad, she hates shooting it with the DA only, even after I put a spring kit in it. Trying to find her a 638 locally.
After that outing at the range wife chose another gun to buy that she does not use a Walther PPQ ,the one where the magazine release is on the trigger guard. Surprisingly it is the first "plastic" gun I fired that changed my mind about a striker fired trigger. Deadly accurate with a great factory trigger out of the box. Which she shot once also. She prefers to carry the one her father gave me a brand new M68 Rossi 38 snub nose revolver when she travels out of town.

Reactions: HighlandsPatriot

·
Banned
54 Posts
If you are a 1911 guy don’t give up on the Kimber Micro9. It will feel natural in your grip and has an amazing trigger. And it’s pretty.
A friend of mine got one and I love it. That’s my next EDC. My range gun is a FS 1911.
I currently carry a Beretta Nano I picked up mainly because it is thin and small and super easy to conceal. I hate the 1/2” trigger pull, but I suspect that in a carry situation it won’t matter much. At the range the long trigger sucks though.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.