1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Wood
Gun Shotgun Revolver Trigger
Thank you
I picked up this old rusty 16 gauge eastern Arms don't know much about it barrel had rust but still have pitted areas inside the chamber
The pin and shell extractor was rusted solid but I was able to take apart and now they function
Like to find out more about it and is it safe to fire

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Looks like you did a great job cleaning it up. Are you going to reblue it?
Thank you been sanding and grinding away for days ,did not used acid at all
I might reblue but I think she's beautiful in the raw now I need to figure out how to keep it shiningp
This is my first try on restoring a rifle
I know is not an expensive gun but is American made so for me is priceless

·
Premium Member
15,235 Posts
I have my grandfather's old Eastern Arms 12 bore and it could pass as a twin for yours. I'm also so partial to the 16 bore that they're all I own, save for grandpa's.

I think they were sold by Sears and made by Crescent. Crescent would make those old single barrels for anyone and stamp their name on them. I have a difficult time thinking of any of them as a "gem", however, they are all assuredly a piece of blue collar firearm's history from what was a difficult time in our country....though I believe we were actually better off back then.

·
Premium Member
9,778 Posts
After looking at your pictures I can see some pitting left. You will need to strip the blueing and or rust out of this pitting or it will just turn to rust very quickly. It should be blued so it does not turn to rust. You should not cold blue it if you are going to use it because the cold blue will where right off.
Mike

·
Premium Member
1,142 Posts
Eastern, you are exactly right. Market value is irrelevant compared to the satisfaction of preserving a piece of (as sharps accurately put it) blue collar firearms history. Well done!! :clap:
BTW, welcome to TFF. I think you'll like it here. Lots of good information and good folks. :)

·
Registered
8,434 Posts
Asking if it will be safe to shoot or not is a crap-shoot. It should be checked by a good gunsmith before you shoot it. A lot of these old single shots are worn-out. I know - I have one, too. Towards the end of mine being used to kerplunk ground squirrels it got so loose that it would open up from firing - so now it is definately "retired" (like me!) It it is as loose as mine it shouldn't even be fired with mild loads.

As far as 'Gunsmiths' - there are "Gunsmiths" and there are "Good Gunsmiths". A Good Gunsmith is an artist. Another thing: some of the newer "Gunsmiths" are fine working on a Benelli, Glock or a Sig, but don't know beans about the older firearms.

·
Premium Member
15,235 Posts
Ditto what Jim said. The last time I fired Grandpa's was 40 years ago....and I hunted with that old shoulder buster when I was just a kid...anyway, I took my two young son's to a splatter board, meat match. They had never been to one and when I was a kid they were just about an every Saturday thing. Anyway, I bought a shell, walked up to the line, fired at the little target.....the gun came apart, barrel fell to the ground and I was standing there holding the forearm in my left hand and the butt in my right. No harm, no foul, no one hurt, gun ok, didn't win a turkey or anything else, heard some laughs....real, belly shakin' laughs. Put the gun back together and said, "boys, we'll watch."

·
Premium Member
15,235 Posts
I ain't too stupid most of the time....:rolleyes:

I failed to mention something about that match that given the way things are today some will find difficult to believe. The match was put on by one of the clubs in the high school as a fund raiser. The match was held on the school parking lot. Now, this was a little rural school about 30 miles SW of Jeff. City, Mo. and about a mile outside the little town of Eugene, Mo. At that time there was nothing around the school for probably 1/2 mile...or more.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you guys for taking the time to answer with your advice and Yes!! gunsmiths are artists
Well I set up a safety bracket with wood brace clampdown Betsy tied the trigger with fly fish line loaded pulled the line and fired Ms Rusty Betsy
I calmly collected my courage pointing to this fussy squirrel
I guess I was two close can’t find the quitter
Rusty Betsy is alive!!!
She’s a firestorm

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you guys for the advice
Well I set up a safety bracket brace I loaded and fired Ms Rusty

I have my grandfather's old Eastern Arms 12 bore and it could pass as a twin for yours. I'm also so partial to the 16 bore that they're all I own, save for grandpa's.

I think they were sold by Sears and made by Crescent. Crescent would make those old single barrels for anyone and stamp their name on them. I have a difficult time thinking of any of them as a "gem", however, they are all assuredly a piece of blue collar firearm's history from what was a difficult time in our country....though I believe we were actually better off back then.
You are Absolutely right sir
I don't collect for the value or the brand name I like rusty forgotten shotguns in the hope of preserving what time has forgotten and teach others of times when Made in the USA
carried an incredible sacrifice
I see it as a $6 gun that has lost her bluing to freedom
in times like now people tend to forget the huge price paid for freedom I look at my hands while sanding and the rusty stains
Reminds me once again of all who have sacrificed so much for me
In another words teaching my grandchildren one rusty gun at a time

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
After looking at your pictures I can see some pitting left. You will need to strip the blueing and or rust out of this pitting or it will just turn to rust very quickly. It should be blued so it does not turn to rust. You should not cold blue it if you are going to use it because the cold blue will where right off.
Mike
Thank you
I have

Thank you
Thank you
I have lead solder all the pitting indentations and polished smooth on the outside of the barrel I don't think blueing will work on lead as it does on metal that is why I might not blue
At the end of the day it's a wall hanger with who knows how many memories

·
Premium Member
3,788 Posts
Thank you guys for taking the time to answer with your advice and Yes!! gunsmiths are artists
Well I set up a safety bracket with wood brace clampdown Betsy tied the trigger with fly fish line loaded pulled the line and fired Ms Rusty Betsy
I calmly collected my courage pointing to this fussy squirrel
I guess I was two close can't find the quitter
Rusty Betsy is alive!!!
She's a firestorm
never happened if there no video:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

·
Premium Member
15,235 Posts
Hey Eastern, where and when is that catalog page from?

·
Registered
10 Posts

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts