The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This sat in the corner of my grandmother's house as far back as I can remember. According to the tale that I was told, my great grandfather acquired it. I haven't disassembled it yet and there are no markings on what is visible. I do know that it seems someone broke off part of the ram rod in the barrel. As you can see, it is small for a black powder gun... it's almost like a kid's gun.

·
Super Moderator
26,796 Posts
We're going to need some clearer, close up pics of the lock and any markings that you can find.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We're going to need some clearer, close up pics of the lock and any markings that you can find.
Ask and you shall receive.... but there are no markings. I've gone over the barrel, plates and triggers with a magnifying glass. I have included a pic of the end of the octagon barrel. I've refrained from cleaning anything since I know that can damage some markings if not careful.

·
Registered
7,639 Posts
As far as the broken ram rod in the barrel - that is a major 'ooopsie'. Depending on how far down - and how badly it is stuck - you might be able to snag it and pull it out. If it is wedged in tightly - that is another problem. In that case you might have to disassemble the barrel from the stock, remove the breech plug end and drive the obstruction out that way. Not a job for the faint of heart - more of a trip to a gunsmith.

·
Premium Member
12,225 Posts
I think that is a parts gun. Something someone other than a gunsmith put together from some parts they had laying around. Everything looks pretty rough and cobbled together to me. It's entirely possible someone took a barrel or part of a barrel and made it for a child. It's hard to actually tell but it looks of fairly small caliber.

Yeah, that ramrod could be a bit of a difficulty. That could have happened trying to load it and there could be a stuck ball and a loose powder charge under it. Understand that is all entirely speculation.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How did you determine that it IS a ramrod broken off in the barrel and not a loaded charge?
It's broke. You can slide it into the barrel and it will stop well short. Turn it a bit and it will slide into place.

·
Registered
9,768 Posts
If you attempt to remove the breech plug be aware that you will have to remove the drum before you try to remove the breech plug. Sometimes the drum threads into the breech plug. Stand the barrel in a container of penetrating oil and let it soak for a week or two before you attempt it. Use copper or aluminum soft jaws in your vice to prevent marring the barrel.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Or we could source and acquire a narrow steel or coated rod and instead of a brush or patch jag...

One would use a multi prong pointed worm specifically designed for removing such obstruction types safely...

A few points for thought:

Looks like a shotgun on fowling / foragers ersatz cheap or native trade piece for use firing shot or some mix of sub caliber small lead projectiles...

Note how thin the barrel actually is and the diameter of the bore / barrel opening at the muzzle - bet it specs out damn near identical to the caliber or gauge used on shotguns or shotgun conversion pieces of this vintage...

Am I the only person who thinks the original wide muzzle barrel now looks like a thin metal jacket for whatever material now has been inserted into my proposed thin wall shot use pipe???

We appear to be missing a lockplate or estucion cover from the normal location which should have has visible marking or proofs on the outside and other witness marks on the hidden obverse???

Some of the screw head slots appear modern or far advanced from this guns purported or supposed or suggested production period IMHO...

Mike

·
Registered
4,330 Posts
Looks to me like a home made youth size muzzle loader due to the lines of the stock and the lock.
Youth size muzzle loaders made by a known gunsmith of the time are rather rare and quite valuable. However this is not one of those.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts