The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I'm having some issues with my tumbler. It's a Frankfurt Arsenal unit that I've had for a few years now, and its tumbled many pieces of brass. Unfortunatley I noticed that the motor was having trouble getting up to speed and staying at speed, and just the other day it wouldn't run at all. I tore it apart and it turns under my finger power. I was wondering if ya'll might have a recomendation on some good oil to use on the bearings. I've got WD-40, 3n1, transmission fluid, engine oil.

I know that I sould probably just face the fact that its time to buy a new tumbler, I was thinking of maybe a Lyman 2200, Layman 1200 Turbo or maybe a Hornady M-2 but, I don't have the extra cash to lay out for one right now.

·
TFFWPP President
13,897 Posts
can a guy have the motor rebuilt at a place that does starters and alternators?

I think they could replace brushes and bushings for less that a new unit.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
I haven't had my FA tumbler apart yet so I don't know for sure what they've got for bearings on the motor.
Are they sealed ball bearings or bronze bushings?

If bronze, I'd use either ATF or motor oil.
I like to flush bronze bushings out with brake cleaner or carb cleaner to clean the pores of the bronze so it can soak up more oil. Be careful if you do that though...those cleaners might attack the plastic parts of the tumbler.

If bearings, there's probably not much you can do with them.. You might be able to use a needle oiler to get some oil into the bearings...but they really need grease instead.

I'd also guess that it's a cheap brushless induction motor. Get a hold of Midway to see if they have parts available...but I'd venture a guess that a replacement motor will cost about as much as the entire tumbler unit.
Not many repair options available for them...they're made to be cheap to make throw-away parts.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts