Tumbling and adding Mothers aluminum mag polish

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Gottcha, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Gottcha

Gottcha Well-Known Member

I tried searching and found some hits but nothing that really said it was bad other than it might turn the media black so I tried a bit and compared it to some previously tumbled brass which I only used corn cob media and a bit of car wax. The results were great if you want really shinny brass! This was the best picture I could take to show the difference. I came up with this idea when I made a couple of bullet necklaces and polished them with my dremel tool. Mothers aluminum.jpg brass mothers.jpg

crystalphoto, texdon and rcairflr like this.
  2. rcairflr

rcairflr Well-Known Member

Very good, how much did you use?

Gottcha likes this.

3. Gottcha

I'd say right around 1/2 to a full teaspoon. I tend not to measure things exactly except for gun powder, crimp and COL ;):)

4. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

I always added a cap full of nu finish and let it run about 15 minutes before adding brass.

5. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Anytime you add a polish to your case cleaner media you risk an unknown chemical in that polish attacking the brass of the cases. There is no reason to have brightly polished brass cases. The whole concept of tumbling (vibratory cleaning) of cases is to remove all the grit they may have picked up after being shot. Walnut shell media is the most aggressing cleaner and corn cob media polishes better than it cleans. Nothing beyond walnut shell media is necessary or actually desired.

Wet media (ceramic, sonic, etc.) can leave behind water to corrode the brass and weaken it.

Cartridge cases are made of a special alloy of brass chosen for it strength and malleability during firing. If you process them in some unknown chemical that might be lurking in a polish (or even water for that matter) you risk the strength of the alloy of brass and fractured cases. Sometime that is not a biggie but sometimes it is.

My suggestion is to only use walnut shell media for max cleaning and stop there. But it is your choice.

LDBennett

jwdurf and Gottcha like this.
  6. Gottcha

I'll have to look into that. I didn't know that polish would hurt or weaken the brass. I know that brass doesn't need to be shinny but it's nice:)

7. rcairflr

Polish doesn't necessarily weaken or hurt brass. It depends on what chemicals are in the polish.

joe45c, Nor Cal Mikie and Gottcha like this.
  8. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Note I said "you risk an unknown chemical in that polish attacking the brass of the cases". Who knows exactly what is in those polishes and waxes? Should you risk your cases or your gun or your well being just to have shiny brass cases? You decide.

LDBennett

jwdurf and Gottcha like this.
  9. Don Fischer

Don Fischer Well-Known Member

Been using a vibrating tumbler a lot of years now. I've never put anything in it. Best thing I ever did to clean up my brass was change the corn cob media! Stuff I'd had in it was really old! Took an over night stint to get my case's cleaned good. With new media it only takes a few hours! The result is cases that look factory new on the outside. I don't care about the inside or the primer pocket's. Did some yesterday and was cleaning primer pockets with a tool I made, When I started I used what we called a 7 level screw driver. One of those little ones that clip to your shirt pocket. Lost mine years ago and never remember to get a new one. But, I got out a small ratchet screwdriver set and it had a small bit in the box that fit just right. Want to bet I'll forget one again? :)

joe45c and Gottcha like this.
  10. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I use nu finish in mine as well.

11. Gottcha

I did some more research and I didn't find anything in mothers that would hurt the brass. Apparently this has come up before and I found the a letter from Mothers that states that. Screenshot_20170321-154550.png

44spl., rawright54 and rcairflr like this.
  12. rcairflr

Gotcha, Nice job following up with Mothers on this. I may give it a try. I have been using Nu Finish but Mothers may be better

Gottcha likes this.
  13. Gottcha

It was a big improvement but I still have car wax in the media.

14. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I need to get a little car wax to actually wax my car with, is Mothers a good brand?

rcairflr likes this.
  15. Gottcha

NXT Meguiar's is what I use for my cars and trucks it last a long time and what I use in my tumbler because that's what what I had on hand. I have also heard turtle waxes new stuff is also good and long lasting.

joe45c likes this.