Tumbling media?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Guest, Feb 24, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

AGunguy
    *TFF Staff*
    (12/14/02 12:37:41 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Tumbling media?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    OK, got a Frankford vibbrator tumbler for Christmas... what kind of media is best for cleaning my dirty brass and bullets that are not loaded yet.

It holds 600 9 mm or 350 .223 brass at a time.

Gunguy

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (12/14/02 5:38:00 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Tumbling media?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I use a mixture of 1/3 crushed walnut and 2/3 treated corncob. Throw in a little rejuvinator every once in a while.

"Keep Off The Ridgeline"

AGunguy
    *TFF Staff*
    (12/14/02 6:01:00 pm)
    Thanks, just got back from new guys home FFL dealer, he had some walnut media and I bought a nice media crank sifter with 3 gallon bucket.

I can hear the vibbrator shaking in the next room now, cleaning up some dirty copper bullets.

Gunguy

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (12/14/02 6:18:56 pm)
    GG uses a vibrator....GG uses a vibrator.....nyah, nyah, nyah!

AGunguy
    *TFF Staff*
    (12/14/02 9:54:48 pm)
    Yeah, and proud of it...oh, it is so good...don't know why I didn't get one a long time ago.

They are a mite slow though, I can get the job done a lot faster with my electric mandrel spinner and crocus clothe but this entails a lot more work.

But the idea is drop em' in and check on them a few hours later.

GG

shooter22
    *TFF Staff*
    (12/14/02 10:50:53 pm)
    Use Flitz for tumbling. It is great stuff.

Hey, Bin Lauden, our women can kick you butt!

1badassmagnum
    (12/16/02 10:47:28 pm)
    I buy corn cob media from the feed/pet store in bulk.
    40 cents per pound,add a little brass polish and your all set.they also have walnut shells sometimes if you look hard lol.

AGunguy
    *TFF Staff*
    (12/17/02 8:37:42 am)
    Sounds good, folks. I like Shooter 22 idea about the Flitz, heard it was great stuff on polishing nickle plated guns, ought to be excellent for brass. But will have to check on its chemical components don't want any ammonia or toxic crap in my media.

Gunguy

shooter22
    *TFF Staff*
    (12/17/02 11:44:55 pm)
    Gunguy, It is specifically designed for tumbling. They have taken out the ammonia and it works great. I use a 2 parts walnut and 1 part corn then mix in about an 1/2 ounce Flitz Tumbling and go for an hour or so.

Hey, Bin Lauden, our women can kick you butt!

Ballistic
    (12/18/02 11:12:53 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Clueless!!!
    i have no idea what you guys are talking about im guessing cleaning cases... please explain more!! im a eager beaver wanting to learn as much about firearms as i can!

AGunguy
    *TFF Staff*
    (12/18/02 3:29:29 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Clueless!!!
    OK, the brass tumbler is a plastic shaped bowl that sets atop a vibrator unit on springs so it don't shake your table silly.

Has a fasten down lid, you put in the tumbling media like as been described and turn it on. The vibration effect makes the media and cartridge brass continually roll inward upon itself. The media eventually wipes off the grit and grime on the cartridge brass until its polished to your satisfaction.

I now have a question for you experts out there.

Is there any kind of media like finely ground titanium particles that might be applicable to polishing our brass, or would that be too rough on the brass?

Gunguy

1badassmagnum
    (12/18/02 11:35:45 pm)
    how about one of those baby sand blasters,using ground media?lol
    there has to be a quieter and faster way than tumbling !

AGunguy
    *TFF Staff*
    (12/19/02 1:54:34 am)
    There is, and I was using it before I got the brass tumbler.

Have zerox motor that turns about 3000 rpm, has a little spindle with a little chuck on it. Chuck holds my tapered mandrels that the cartridge brass slide onto it while spinning, hold polishing 3 M crocus clothe on the brass while its spinning and polishing to a very fast shine.

But this is a labor intensive project, though the results are first rate.

Tumbler leaves you free to do other things.

Gunguy