The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I get to go Turkey hunting for the first time this spring. I got the calls and decoys. I've been practicing a little with the mouth call I got to get at it more though. The timeslot I put in for and received is May 2nd through the 6th. Planning on being out there at day light. Any recommendations or tips for first-time turkey hunter?

Bill

·
Premium Member
3,862 Posts
have you scouted the area you are going to hunt? you need to try to find either where they roost or where a favorite water hole is.

the roost is good for early morning and water for mid-day and evening before the go to roost.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am planning on hunting them in my food plot. I got lots of pictures of them last year in my food plot. Right now there is a little too much snow on the ground yet for scouting.

Bill

·
Registered
3,555 Posts
OK, I am far from an expert. But I am experience in hunting during this time of year. Be sure to have bug juice. If you have a leafy suit, wear it. Have a comfortable seat to keep you off the ground. good luck

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
I always take 2 different callers with me, a box and a reed. Makes it sound like 2 different birds. Don't sweat trying to make a perfect call, turkeys make terrible turkey calls. Don't over do them, to busy will spook them.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Once they get on to your call like old grump said lay off yours they will come in maybe just chirp yours if they slow down. Dont shoot them if they are fanned out unless theyre close and remember they can see forever. Any movement and they are gone. Good Luck!!

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
I always take 2 different callers with me, a box and a reed. Makes it sound like 2 different birds. Don't sweat trying to make a perfect call, turkeys make terrible turkey calls. Don't over do them, to busy will spook them.
This is true. I used to be able to do a better turkey clal with an old lynch box call I have than a turkey could. Im way out of practice now. Im unable to hunt anymore but love to hear them gobble back!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the tips.

Bill

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well things didn't go as planned. I ended up getting sick and not even trying, which was OK because most of where I was going to hunt was either covered in snow or underwater. So I can spend the next year practicing up on my calling techniques and be more prepared for next spring.

Bill

·
Registered
17 Posts
Sorry you missed this season, being sick. Some good advise here. I don't have a lot of experience hunting turkeys in the snow, but I do enjoy turkey hunting.

Scouting is key, or at least knowing where the turkeys are. If the turkeys aren't there it doesn't matter how good a caller you are.

I usually carry a box call and a couple different pot & peg (slate) calls. I say pot and peg because I have slate, synthetic, aluminum, and glass. They all sound a little different, and one of them is usually my main or only call I'll use a lot of the time. I have a custom made slate, and a Knight & Hale Ol'Yellow call that I use most often. To me these calls were easy to learn to use and effective. Like others said you don't have to be perfect with your calls, and in the spring you want to be more conservative with your calling. Different turkeys act differently though one call might get them gobbling and another won't.

Camo and something to break up your outline while set up are two important things. Turkeys have great vision and most are very wary. Hunting from a blind works too depending on your set up and location.

When I started turkey hunting I bought a couple books and watched turkey hunting videos. Most videos now a days it seems are pitching their product but a few are geared towards how to and give tips along the way.

Good luck next season.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I remember the boys at work talking about having Turkey dogs that they would send in and bust up the flocks so that they could call them back together . I know I could kill my share while I groundhog hunt i'm always seeing turkeys . I refuse to shoot them with a rifle . When I go groundhog hunting I shoot only groundhogs when i Bass fished if a caught silvers i was mad . I try to fine tune my game and stick to it . I've seen 36 turkeys along the driveway at 1 time that was the most I've seen. You can hear them very often .I do enjoy listening to them while I'm groundhog hunting gives me a chill. Maybe 1 day I'm after my 700 yard groundhog now .:D

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Grandslam youre right if you have no clue where they are roosting you can sit all day and never hear a bird. Go out at dusk with an owl call or a crow call and youll find them drive roads and every quarter mile stop and call a few times. go back to the same place in the morning and get to the top of a the hill. if youre late getting into the woods go to the middle or bottom of the hill as when they come off the roost they will fly to the top of the hill then work their way down. If its windy work the woods a calm day try the fields. I sure miss hunting and am unable to do it anymore because of health problems but If I could I would be right out there.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts