The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My father-in-law of 43 years passed away in March at 80 years of age due to lung cancer. He and I were not only inlaws but good, close friends. My mother-in-law wanted me to have two of his guns and I took possession of them today. They are a Sears Model 101.1120 bolt action, single shot .410 and a like new Winchester Model 1200 pump 12 ga. I remember he thought the Winchester was the best looking gun in his collection but it was the reason he started buying and shooting 20 gauge shotguns because he said it "kicked like a mule". He always wanted to shoot high powered shells in any shotgun he had.

·
Premium Member
19,217 Posts
I have no guns past down to me from anyone. I due have my wives grandfathers Iver Johnson. We found it in a drawer when cleaning out his apartment. My son and grandsons will get a nice batch from me. One of my daughters will get some also.

·
Super Moderator
38,552 Posts
All of the guns that my father had were given to him by me. He always said that they would be given back to me upon his death. In his later years he got what I guess was dementia or alzheimer's and he started giving them away, basically to anyone who might drop by to visit him. I was with him when he died and when I looked, there was only one old beat up .22 single shot that I had never seen before. I took it!

I have an Excel spreadsheet on my computer and a printed copy in my "important" papers that has each gun listed, with pertinent information. The last column is the name of the person who gets that gun when I die. When I buy a new one or get rid of one, the first thing I do is update that list.

S

·
0 Posts
All of the guns that my father had were given to him by me. He always said that they would be given back to me upon his death. In his later years he got what I guess was dementia or alzheimer's and he started giving them away, basically to anyone who might drop by to visit him. I was with him when he died and when I looked, there was only one old beat up .22 single shot that I had never seen before. I took it!

I have an Excel spreadsheet on my computer and a printed copy in my "important" papers that has each gun listed, with pertinent information. The last column is the name of the person who gets that gun when I die. When I buy a new one or get rid of one, the first thing I do is update that list.
That is a great idea, I think I will do the same.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My paternal Grandmother had a Winchester pump action .22 rifle that she had told me several times that she intended for me to have after she "was done with it". She passed away in 1992 and I have not seen the rifle yet, and don't expect to. Too many aunts & uncles involved.
I do have an old 12 ga single shot that belonged to my paternal Grandfather. He passed away in 1962. I also have the shell belt he wore with the 12 ga paper cased shells that were in it when he passed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts