two questions: S&W 41-1 & Hi-Std

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by raydcarter, May 8, 2009.

1. raydcarter

raydcarter New Member

Last year I took 'custody' of my father in law's gun collection. I've shot most everything in the group, and recently acquired an interest in trying handgun silhouette (.22 version). Among the guns are the aforementioned pistols. The S&W 41-1 is, of course, .22 short only - I have read in some of the information FIL left that there was a conversion kit to turn this to .22lr - anyone have any availiability and price info for the kit or the necessary parts? The High Standard 106 Military Supermatic Citation has the red plastic piece at the bottom of one of the clips missing - is there a replacement part available anywhere or is it necessary to get another clip (fortunately, I have three).

My first post - thanks for any helpful info.

2. JUNKKING

JUNKKING Well-Known Member

Welcome to this forum. I've only been here a short time myself but there seems to be a vast endlessness of information here. I think you will enjoy it here as I do. I can almost say for sure you will have an answer here in no time at all. It seems whatever the gun or the problem someone here has info. on it. Welcome again, JUNK

3. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

*********.com has one that is starting the auction process. The notes on the page says only 1000 were made and the starting bid was $3295. It had the box, paperwork, and a research letter from S&W. You may want to research this gun before shooting it as a regular Model 41.

http://www.*********.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=128517725

LDBennett

4. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

Welcome to the forum!
    I can't answer the question about clip parts, but know you are going to LOVE that High Standard. It is a nail-driver. I would always tick my buddy off when I would use mine and outshoot him with his Ruger 10/22 rifle.

5. raydcarter

raydcarter New Member

Thanks for the note. I know it's a rather rare beastie. I was hoping to have the parts - do the mod for now and change it back later. I appreciate the info.

6. hiredhand

hiredhand New Member

Before you shoot the 41, ask yourself if you are a collector or shooter. If a shooter, then by all means shot the 41. Yes, there are coversion kits available but they can be rather pricey.
    Sportsman Guide has after market magazines listed. Also Bob's Gun Parts has magazines for the Citation (FYI, the 106 is probably the best version of this gun that High Standard made.) Be aware that the clip is considered to be the weak point of these guns. If you have magazines that work, hold on to them. But there is also a simple cure for magazine problems that can be found on the High Standard Forum. To describe the cure would take up way too much space here. And besides, the HS Forum has pictures that are worth even more words to understand the problems and the fix.
    The missing red bottom will cause no problems. It may just take a little extra help to get the magazine to seat properly.
    Your father-in-law had a very good eye for quality pistols. Enjoy them!

7. raydcarter

raydcarter New Member

Thanks for the info. I've checked that the mag with missing red bottom works - it just takes a little extra effort to seat it. I have three other complete mags - I was thinking about trying to make a wooden replacement for the plastic part - does not seem too difficult. Yes, he had a great eye for guns. There is also a S&W 52-1 and an accurized Colt 1911A. And the High Standard was worked over by J. Clark. Then you should see the rifles!

As to the 41, from what I understand (please correct if I'm wrong) once it has been converted it is easily put back to original form. There seem to be about five components that need to be changed out. I'm currently checking to see if I can find some original grips or a suitable replacement - he had modified into a target grip with plastic wood.

8. raydcarter

raydcarter New Member

Could you give me a URL for the High Standard forum to which you refer? I've found several.

9. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

10. hiredhand

hiredhand New Member

Here is the site I was referring to: http://www.histandard.info/

This will take you direct to the section with the info and pictures. Simply type this in the search box "jbarta".

Hope this helps. And happy shooting.

11. raydcarter

raydcarter New Member

For those who may have been wondering: an update - I e-mailed S&W customer support. I was also wondering about replacement grips since FIL had molded a set of target grips out of the originals by applying plastic wood - which is pretty difficult to remove (though I've been working on the same problem with the original High Standard grips and they are indeed coming along). They tell me that the current production model 41 grips should work fine on the older 41-1. I also inquired about the conversion to .22LR - the barrel is now $280 and the slide is $242. Since that's about 1/2 the price of a new gun, I won't be pursuing that avenue. A new set of grips will spruce the old girl up a bit though.

Thanks for all the replies - you've been a lot of help.