Type 1 or 2

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ysacres, May 3, 2016.

1. ysacres

ysacres Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Everyone has diabetes I aint kidding, just visit a doctor and they will tell you your blood sugar is to high, even if the AC1 is 6, that's not good enough.
    1 out of 3 Americans have it and I'm a type 1, when I finally got to the hospital I had all the symptoms, blurred vision, leg cramps, headaches, my blood sugar was 960, the doctor was surprised I was still alive. for 21 years I've taken 4 shots of insulin a day. I got it when I was 35 years old...odd, it doesn't run in my family,
    at the time I was trying to quit smoking and was overdosing on jolly ranchers, I think to much sugar shut down my pancreas. it's hereditary ( juvenile onset ), stress can trigger it. obesity lowers the odds.

My friend went for a checkup for his CDL, his blood draw was 100, his Doc said he might have diabetes and he sent him home with a meter to monitor it for a few days
    I told my friend his Doc was looney as a bowl fruit loops, an AC1 of 6 and 100. Are you kidding me...I guess everyone has diabetes.

2. Firpo

Firpo Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Similar thing happened to me just last week. I think I'm just under 100 and Doc said to watch my sugar, eat better and exercise. I agree that the I need to do all the above but diabetic I think not.

3. VHoward

VHoward Well-Known Member

Diabetes is a multi-billion dollar a year industry. Lots of profit to be had there the more people that are diagnosed with it.

4. carver

carver Moderator Supporting Member

Everyone has a certain amount of higher than normal blood sugar readings going on at any point of time. People with no diabetes typically range in number from 4.5 to 6% on the A1C. An A1C test tells the Dr. what has been going on over the last few months. Normal blood sugar levels should range form around 80 - 100. No matter who you are, your blood sugars will be higher just after eating. That's why most of us take our blood sugar levels when we first get up. We haven't eaten anything in the last 10 - 12 hours. "Normal" people's body's regulates the sugar, while those of us with diabetes can't.

shootbrownelk, cec2, Guts3d and 3 others like this.
  5. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Just checked mine..178 fasting, yikes. Probably have to jack up the metformin.

Guts3d, howlnmad and carver like this.
  6. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I had one doctor tell me as long as you can keep your blood sugar under 200 you are fine. Over that you can run into long term problems. Mine goes over 200 sometimes and I have to watch what I eat and get some exercise.

7. reflex1

reflex1 Well-Known Member

Been taking metformin and insulin for years - just checked my sugar was 117 after a 200 about 8 hours ago - doc put me on a new insulin about five months ago which seems to be working much better! Good luck to all of you!

8. dbcooper

dbcooper Well-Known Member

I had a sugar of 115 one time one a test. Truthfully, I think I had coffee or something before the blood was drawn but that is pretty normal and the nurse told me the same thing.
    That was 6 years ago and I'm still in good shape
    I did cut out alot of sugar from my diet and most of the bread
    I am mindful of what starches can do.
    I guess it scared me a bit to hear that, even though it was false and I have never been told that since.

shootbrownelk, Guts3d and howlnmad like this.
  9. flintlock

flintlock Well-Known Member Supporting Member

When I was first diagnosed the doc said "keep your A1c around 7" now it's "we need to get this down to 6", if it were down to 6, I bet it would need to go to 5. AM readings are always in the 120 range and don't vary much up or down through the day. But they have to keep adjusting this or that. Justifying a bill I suppose.

But why, after being around for a 100 years or more, is insulin still so expensive? Why isn't there a generic?

10. wolfdog

wolfdog Active Member

My primary doc say I am borderline. My A-1c has been running 5.7 over the last 4 years. My sugar has been as high a 140 one hour after eating , mostly runs about 100 when fasting. I do not think I have a problem at this time, but I do have to keep an eye on it as it does run in my family.

11. Twicepop

Twicepop Well-Known Member

Yes, the A1c has become the new cholesterol. Another scam perpetrated by the big pharmaceutical companies. I went round and round with a doctor about "my need" for cholesterol medication. He finally admitted that cholesterol is produced by your body as a part of the digestive process, and is a whole lot less important than triglycerides which is the amount fat suspended your blood.
    A few months back I was driving all night listening to late night radio. On this program they had a speaker that said he was a physician. He was talking about the HUGE increase of dementia and alsheimers (sp) disease that is becoming such a large scale problem. He said that this problem is directly related to the push for the reduced, low, no-fat diets that the medical community has been pushing for the last 40-50 years. He said that some fats/proteins are an essential food source for the brain, and that without these essential foods parts of the brain dry-up and die. He also said that the prescribed cholesterol medications reduce many of the needed fats/proteins, the brains needed nutrients and accelerate the drying/death of it.

Redneckpreacher, ysacres and Big Mak like this.
  12. joe45c

joe45c Well-Known Member

Mine crept up from 6.1 to 6.2 from my last physical 6 months ago. My doctor wants me to keep a eye on it, by watching what i eat, and of course lose some weight. Standard doc speak.

13. carver

I now have a diabetic dog! Yeah, they get it too. Been checking my blood sugar when I check hers. Last night, at 10 PM, after supper at 7 PM, mine was 84. This morning it was 95. My last A1C check was 6.2. I've lost weight, down to 200 lbs., and still dropping. I spent the night at the Emergency Animal Clinic in Longview with Lily, hers had got up 468 last night at 7 PM, and didn't come down after insulin, by 10 PM. It was going the wrong way, and getting higher. My Dr. told me anything above 150 can cause damage to nerves, kidneys, and eyes, if it stays that high. He also said that there was no way to take to much Metformin. I'm on a 1,000 mg dose twice a day. Diabetes is manageable with diet, and exercise. I just have to figure out how to get the exercise part worked into my schedule. But maybe I'm getting enough exercise just doing the chores around here.

As to cholesterol, mine got a little high, the Dr. put me on some cholesterol meds, and my levels came down. But so did my good cholesterol! I stopped taking it, and both good, and bad, readings went back up. I'm now back on cholesterol meds. First chance I get to look at my blood work results, I'll know if I want to stay on the dosage that he has me on.

shootbrownelk and BlueDragonLair like this.
  14. carver

I'm wondering if you know what an A1C test is, and how it works?

15. SilasW

SilasW Well-Known Member

I was diagnosed with high blood sugar after a blood draw at my VA clinic several years ago. I had no idea until then. I went to my regular doctor and he put me on Metformin. It's gone from about 300 when first diagnosed to around 80-100. It varies through out the day of course. I checked my BP yesterday and it's gone up about 20 points on both numbers since I retired. Not sure what's causing that yet. Not a dangerous level but still concerns me.

BlueDragonLair, howlnmad and carver like this.