Type 1 or 2

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ysacres, May 3, 2016.

1. VHoward

VHoward Well-Known Member

I had my blood sugars under control. Then the orthopaedic doctor gave me a steroid shot in my shoulder. My blood sugars shot sky high. They went up to like 480 before meals. Now they are 230 before meals. Slowly getting them back down. And I can't tell if that steroid shot did any good.

2. BlueDragonLair

BlueDragonLair Well-Known Member

Mama and I both had steroids shots in joints and even the Z-pac for for cold/flu runs sugar up. Don't let numbers worry you to much, doctors told us to expect spikes because of steroids and mostly fault positive thing due to how steroids. It does take a week or more til numbers get back towards normal, if my memory is right, might be longer been awhile since had steroids. Course it don't help your mood much either!

carver likes this.

3. One Shot

One Shot Well-Known Member Supporting Member

4. carver

carver Moderator Supporting Member

Sorry to be so late in welcoming you to the forum, but still, you are welcome! I was just a few years older than you when I found out I was diabetic. Didn't need the DR. to tell me either. Dry mouth, couldn't get enough to drink, and had to go pee every 15 minutes!

BlueDragonLair likes this.
  5. Albtraum

Albtraum Well-Known Member

Damn near everything is sweetened.

Sad that High Fructose Corn Syrup is the first or second ingredient on so many products. If you're active enough, it's fine and the energy benefits you. But if you're sedentary, every soft drink sip, every simple carbohydrate, fruit juice, and sport drink is just poisoning your body.

I don't drink anything but water, tea, coffee and beer.

I just switched barbeque sauces cause the ones I used to get had High Fructose Corn Syrup, Corn Syrup, AND SUGAR all towards the top of the ingredients list. ry one without Sugar. Meat shouldn't be sweet.

6. carver

I just started using a new bottle of vetsulin, and am having problems with it. Lily experienced her first low glucose levels yesterday. She started walking around like she was drunk. I had just came in form being in town. I knew what I was seeing and gave her about a table spoon full of Corn Syrup. I then checked her blood sugar levels, and got a 21. My son woke me up at midnight last night to tell me she was acting funny again, and we went thru the process again. BS levels were 23. As soon as the vet is in his office this morning I'll be giving him a call. I dropped the dosage on her vetsulin this morning, and will be watching for any signs of low BS.

BlueDragonLair and One Shot like this.
  7. One Shot

My daughter got her CGM about a month ago and it helps quite a bit in being able to tell if you are level, climbing or dropping.

One feature we like is that if she goes low it sets an alarm and actually signals her room mate and my wife and will sound an alarm to wake her if she is sleeping. It updates every three minutes.
    I can even see what her BS is from my iPad.

Since she is always on the run and can't stop often we got her an I watch that synchs to her phone so that she can see at a glance where she is at.

Pump will be available in a few months that works with the CGM.

BlueDragonLair and carver like this.
  8. carver

I'm so sorry to hear about your daughters situation, but glad to hear that there are such good electronic items out there to help her. Just curious, how much does a system like this cost? It wouldn't be to high for a family member, just curious.

9. One Shot

If I remember right it was over $5000 but through my KP insurance we paid about $200.

BlueDragonLair and carver like this.
  10. tuckerd1

tuckerd1 Moderator Supporting Member

'Vet'sulin. Sounds like something you would give an animal.

11. BlueDragonLair

BlueDragonLair Well-Known Member

More than likely you already rechecked the bottle and label on her Vetsulin. If not please do so.
    Several years ago the Pharmacy Label was right on all my insulin refill bottle boxs but checking actual insulin bottle it was wrong strenght. Lucky I had not taken a dose yet. When took bottle out of box noticed didn't look same. Pharmacy said my refill was mixed up with another customer and that human error on their end.
    Happy you and your son noticed the s/s of low sugar.
    "Good Luck!"
    BTW: Have you noticed any recent change in her eating or her weight?

carver likes this.
  12. carver

Nope, I feed her a measured meal twice a day. She always eat's it up as fast as she can. Not expired, and the bottle looks the same as the last one did.

13. carver

Yeah, my dog.

tuckerd1 likes this.
  14. tuckerd1

tuckerd1 Moderator Supporting Member

I didn't read everything. I missed that.

carver likes this.
  15. carver

We all do that very same thing!:D