Type 1 or 2

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ysacres, May 3, 2016.

1. BlueDragonLair

BlueDragonLair Well-Known Member

Carver, "Sorry" to bother you but Mama and I was talking about your dog this morning.
    We curious if she was doing OK?
    We got to talking and since you posted about her eating her diet up quickly wondering if maybe losing weight?
    Or maybe with cold weather she's burning up calories keeping warm, even if she's inside.
    We had one elderly Doberman that could not even in summer was far away from her blanket and bed. The colder it got outside the closer she shoved her bed up to waterbed where it's heater pad was located.
    Sorry for being nosey and asking questions. Just we use to have 4 legged kids and they were a great part of our lives/family.
    Hope all is going well!

carver, ysacres and One Shot like this.
  2. ysacres

ysacres Well-Known Member Supporting Member

3. reflex1

reflex1 Well-Known Member

Discovered something that has been keeping my numbers down - quite by accident - walnuts! Yes I said walnuts! I eat a handful or two - a few times each day! Works for me!

Alaska444 and BlueDragonLair like this.
  4. BlueDragonLair

Mama takes two Cinnamon 1000mg Tablets every day and feels it's helping her levels.
    Told her about what you posted and she says she thinks she will try some in her oatmeal in mornings. We have bunch walnuts and pecans, one of her cousins has several trees and sends her bunch around holidays. Mama keeps them in freezer.

carver likes this.
  5. carver

carver Moderator Supporting Member

Some how I didn't see this post! Sorry! Thanks for asking, Lily is doing fine. I reduced the amount of vetsulin I was giving her, and she's doing much better now. I really think I got a bad batch of vetsulin. These folks have had quality control issues in the past. It comes from a company in Germany.

6. BlueDragonLair

Mr. Carver, Happy you got it straightened out for your Lily and that she is doing better.

carver and One Shot like this.
  7. NJBourne23

NJBourne23 Member

I have type 1 diabetes and was diagnosed when I was 13. Now in my 30's the technology has gotten a lot better and amount of blood needed for testing has gotten smaller. Many on here have said that this is a huge industry and I agree 100%. It also saves money on Life insurance companies because they will deny you coverage or charge you ridiculous premiums to offer you par coverage. I had diabetes run in the family, mostly Type 2 but I was the first Type 1 and I personally think that it was/is being caused by what we put in our food, environment and other medications we take. Things that weren't around really are now a regular for people and drug companies profit off of this immensely. I use a pump now and find that it has helped with my control to a point but the cost of supplies and maintenance for the pump is nuts. Nothing else to say really except, buy life insurance young because once they label you, you are screwed

carver and One Shot like this.
  8. BlueDragonLair

NJBourne23, Yes sir, the technology has gotten much better. Old days get blood drawn and the lab get to you on amount but that high tech of the day Tes-Tape, Urine Dipstick then the first of Glucose Meters and now these easy, no coding Monitors. YEA!
    Course Insulin sure gotten easier, too! Remember old days Regular Insulin U-100 and NPH Insulin U-100 and when on both you done mixing yourself. I thought when they started having Humulin 70/30 was a GREAT idea! Now reckon they have so many different brands and strenghts I can't keep up with it. Plus cost, the co-pays now is as much as a year's worth buying out of pocket just short few years ago!
    Insurance, remember when Auto Insurance had you get paper filled out by your doctor on amount of Insulin used? Indeed, things sure have changed!

NJBourne23 and carver like this.
  9. NJBourne23

NJBourne23 Member

I enjoy cranberry juice and find that it doesn't raise my sugar as much as other drinks. I dilute with seltzer or water just because i don't like super sweet stuff but as a reminder to others, different things work for different people. My doctor recently put me on a type II med which is the generic for Actos. This medication targets an enzyme called amylase. This enzyme is found in the pancreas and helps break down starchy foods. My numbers were and sometimes are still erratic for the simple fact I am lazy and tend not to put my CGM on as much as i should or I eat things without checking my sugar all the time. I just count my carbs but as I said earlier, some thing act different so 30g of carbs in fruit may act differently than 30g of carbs in say a cupcake. This medication has been a big help in utilizing the insulin I have used/in me. If you are having a hard time still trying to control you sugar, ask your doctor about this medication. It's again not used in most Type I people but it has shown a lot of promise and some doctors that read up on it, find it to be helpful.

BlueDragonLair and carver like this.
  10. tedwitt

tedwitt Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Mine wanted me on actos but I can't afford $1800.00 every 90 days.

BlueDragonLair, NJBourne23 and carver like this.
  11. NJBourne23

NJBourne23 Member

Tedwitt, wow I am lucky i guess because i don't even have a copay for the generic. If you can get generic, I would run with that.

12. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Son had a visit with his endo yesterday, A1C was 6.6 :).

13. carver

carver Moderator Supporting Member

Most of the drug companies have a 'coupon' system for purchasing their drugs. The wife would always ask the company for help in paying for her scripts, and sometimes she got them for no fee to us, after ins. has paid.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2017
    BlueDragonLair and howlnmad like this.
  14. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member Supporting Member

My son always comes home with a huge bag of goodies from his endo. Helps him out quite a bit.

15. BlueDragonLair

The cranberry juice, you might consider the sugar free. It has a zing but I try get some in for bladder care. Also, if just wanting carnberry benefit they also have in over the counter pills, too.
    Never on Actos but was on other version Avandia. Started on it by my Endo when first came out cause I was insulin resistance and was on high doses by then. It worked! It got my Insulin amount cut down greatly.
    He gave me "samples" for a few years and then signed me up on a Rx Company Voucher thing that got it for free. When they started mess with limited use, think they called it a "black Box" program with big pain get Avandia. Soon afterwards I'd had a couple MI's and while in hospital was took off it. So far been doing pretty good with just insulin(knock wood). They say if get resistance bad again then need add Actos.
    One of our doctors told us about website that could lookup our meds on, especially if no generic are out yet to see if any programs are for the med.
    Here is free website that tells of Rx Assist Programs (put your meds in and see if any program is aviable and what requirements to quiafly:
    http://www.rxassist.org/
    Ya'll have a great day!

carver likes this.