The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first antique firearm. I'm a Marine and I thought a rifle from the Pacific theater would be a nice historical buy. I'm wondering if this is a frankenstein rifle or a last ditch rifle and I just want to know what is it's story. Thank for the help!
I know it's made in Tokyo Kogyo and series 23.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,064 Posts
I'm no expert on Arisakas but with a bolt that matches the serial number, an intact Mum and the wings on the rear sights for anti-aircraft fire it doesn't look like a "franken gun." The only obvious thing missing is the dust cover. Someone here with more knowledge will likely check in on this one shortly.
Nice find in any case.

·
Super Moderator
26,873 Posts
With the Mum intact, wow! Sarco has the dust cover for $25.

·
Premium Member
2,064 Posts
I spoke with a fellow that knows more about Arisakas then I do and he says that your rifle was made in the '42-'43 time frame. The only variation from original is that at some point the protective ears on the front sight were ground off. His opinion, you have a real nice Pacific Theater souvenir, take good care of it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm no expert on Arisakas but with a bolt that matches the serial number, an intact Mum and the wings on the rear sights for anti-aircraft fire it doesn't look like a "franken gun." The only obvious thing missing is the dust cover. Someone here with more knowledge will likely check in on this one shortly.
Nice find in any case.
The bayonet stud has a separate serial on it. That's the only off number.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts