Dismiss Notice

Please be sure to post images when you're asking what the value of your firearm(s) is. We find this to be a necessary tool when determining a value. 

U.S. Revolver Co. (Iver Johnson) .32 Top Break

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Repo, Aug 9, 2020.

1. Repo

Repo New Member

I recently inherited my late grandfather's U.S. Revolver Co. (by Iver Johnson) .32 Top Break Revolver, and (as you can see) a very old box of .32 Remington center fire cartridges.

From what I can tell, my grandfather probably only shot the gun 10x himself (as only 10 rounds are missing from the box), and then he put it away (dirty) for several decades. I intend to clean it the best I can, and then have it inspected by a professional gun smith.

Based on the forum posts I've read on this topic, I've included multiple photos of the piece; specifically any of the S/N that I could find. What I could not find was any reference to a "letter" before the serial number. Based on my old eyes the S/N appears to be "44903". I've found that located on the trigger guard, on the left grip frame, and under the top break.

Of Note: on the right grip frame, you'll note the number "1"... I can't seem to find any information about why that's there, or what it references.

My questions for the pros:
    1. Is it possible to determine the Manufacture Year with the information I've provided?
    2. Is this actually one of the Iver Johnson black powder frame models?

I'm guessing it's manufactured early 1900's, and is actually a black powder frame (from one on the Iver Johnson surplus models)... but I just don't honestly know...

Any insight would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. johnsxj

johnsxj Well-Known Member

Your revolver is a very nice example (about the cleanest I've seen!) that was made in 1913.
    Yes, it's a black powder frame. The U.S. Revolver Co. line started in 1910 as a way for Iver Johnson to use up leftover parts when they switched production from the black powder 2nd Model revolver to the smokeless powder 3rd Model.

I don't know of anybody that knows what "1" marking on the right side of the grip frame means. Quite a few in my collection have a single digit mark somewhere on that side and many more don't have any markings on the right side.

I know you didn't ask but book value on your revolver is about $210. Real world to the right person could be closer to $250.

Your box of ammo isn't as old as you think as it dates between 1964 and 1973 based on this link:
    https://cartridgecollectors.org/documents/Remington-Cartridge-Box-Dates.pdf

3. Repo

Repo New Member

Wow... that awesome information, thank you much!

107 years...

I'm still chuckling about that box of ammo. Cartridge collectors... go figure LOL.

I have no intention of using those specific rounds, but any chance do you know if they are smokeless or black powder rounds, based on the box?

Now that I know it's for sure a black powder frame (and assuming it pasts muster with my gun smith), I'll have a few rounds made up. I hope to have the opportunity to put few rounds through it, before it's deep cleaned and stored.

Thanks again!

4. johnsxj

johnsxj Well-Known Member

Those Remington rounds are smokeless powder.
    Shooting a cylinder or two of factory smokeless a couple times a year wouldn't be the end of the world but I wouldn't go shooting a box full a month.
    If you shoot black powder loads, you'll have to thoroughly clean the gun ASAP after shooting it. Even if you only shot a couple rounds.