The Firearms Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I need the year of manufacture of a U.S. Revolver (Iver Johnson) Hammerless .32 caliber 5-shot top break revolver, 3 1/4-inch barrel so I think Medium Frame since it fires .32, not .22. The serial number underneath the barrel is 55931. There is no stamped information under the handle. The handle grips are hard rubber with the "U.S" logo up top. My guess is about the 1920s? Thanks so much.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
The full serial number will be under the grips on the left side of the frame. Please remove the grips and check for the full serial number. They used a all numeric serial number from 1910-1916 but added the letter B in 1917.

Pictures would also help confirm what you have.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The full serial number will be under the grips on the left side of the frame. Please remove the grips and check for the full serial number. They used a all numeric serial number from 1910-1916 but added the letter B in 1917.

Pictures would also help confirm what you have.
Gun Revolver Trigger Starting pistol Gun accessory
Gun Firearm Trigger Revolver Starting pistol
Material property Cutting tool Revolver Trigger

Here are the photos of the hammerless U.S. Revolver I referenced above. We are hesitant to remove the grips fearing damaging the firearm. The serial number 55931 is under the trigger guard but the photo file was too large to upload here.

·
Super Moderator
43,868 Posts
Take the grip off the left side and take a picture of the serial number under the grip. If picture is too big, condense it or crop it a little and that should reduce the size enough to be able to post it.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Removing the grips will not damage them, just be careful when you take the grips off. There is a main spring under the grips that has to be replaced on occasion. They should lift off, and you only have to take the grip on the left side. Don't over tighten them when you put them back on the frame.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK, I'll try to get the grip removed. Here is the cropped photo of the serial number 55931 on the trigger guard.
I was able to get the grips removed. The serial number of the left side of the handle was identical to the serial on under the trigger guard -- 55931 (see photo on previous post). There was nothing else on the handle except for a tiny number 1 in the bottom left corner. It's a US Revolver/Iver Johnson, hammerless, 5-shot .32 caliber top break with a 3-inch barrel.

Any idea what year and where this gun was manufactured? Thanks so much.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Trigger Metal
Iron Metal Number

I was able to get the grips removed. The serial number of the left side of the handle was identical to the serial on under the trigger guard -- 55931 (see photo on previous post). There was nothing else on the handle except for a tiny number 1 in the bottom left corner. It's a US Revolver/Iver Johnson, hammerless, 5-shot .32 caliber top break with a 3-inch barrel.

Any idea what year and where this gun was manufactured? Thanks so much.
Here are the photos -- the top shows the tiny number 1 on the RIGHT side of the handle/frame, and the serial is shown on the LEFT side of the handle/frame, that matches the number on the trigger guard. There is no sign of a letter or other number aside from those mentioned.

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
:);):)
Three reasons for checking under the left grip on these revolvers. 1. If there is a letter prefix , it will be under the left grip, Why did Iver Johnson do it this way? don't know[ but that letter or the lack of same could mean a matter of 25 years in the indemnification. 2. The trigger guard is quite fragile and breaks or bends quite easily. Quite a few of these old Iver Johnson made revolvers have been repair and the original wriggle being replaced. 3. The posting rules states quite plainly that the left grip must be removed to obtained the correct serial number and to allow us to give you the correc5t and proper information.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
All top break US Revolvers are considered black powder frames l, because they built from surplus Iver Johnson 2nd Model Frames. The solid frame US Revolvers were bases off the Iver Johnson Model 1900 frames.

There was no I prefix used in US Revolvers. Please post photos so we can confirm what you have.

·
Registered
2 Posts
All top break US Revolvers are considered black powder frames l, because they built from surplus Iver Johnson 2nd Model Frames. The solid frame US Revolvers were bases off the Iver Johnson Model 1900 frames.

There was no I prefix used in US Revolvers. Please post photos so we can confirm what you have.
Mystery soled! As I was measuring the grips I realized they were larger than the .32 grips, and lo-and-behold a .32 round dropped right through the cylinder. So its now easily ID'd as a 2nd Model .38 made in mid 1903, (sold to me as a .32 smokelss) but its definitely black powder. Anyone know where I can find some .38 S&W black powder rounds?

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Mystery soled! As I was measuring the grips I realized they were larger than the .32 grips, and lo-and-behold a .32 round dropped right through the cylinder. So its now easily ID'd as a 2nd Model .38 made in mid 1903, (sold to me as a .32 smokelss) but its definitely black powder. Anyone know where I can find some .38 S&W black powder rounds?
How could you have the same gun? The original post was about a US Revolver, not an Iver Johnson. They had two separate serial number sequences, and US Revolvers were not made until 1910.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.