The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks
I'm back with a new question. How is the front sight fastened on the Uberti 1860 Army? I would like to put a higher blade
on so it shoots lower. Thanks for your help.
Muskin

·
Premium Member
12,361 Posts
I'm pretty sure they're soldered on.

·
Registered
4,429 Posts
If you haven't fixed the short arbor changing the sight wont help much. The sight is in a slot. Just take a punch and drive it out from the back but you could file the hammer notch deeper instead.

·
Premium Member
12,361 Posts
Really Hawg? Well I'll be dipped in spit. I didn't know that. I sure thought they were soldered in. I've had a couple 1860 front sights replaced with taller ones but the last couple I filed the hammer notch deeper....and wider...and filed the front sight thinner.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you haven't fixed the short arbor changing the sight wont help much. The sight is in a slot. Just take a punch and drive it out from the back but you could file the hammer notch deeper instead.
Well I don't know what the short arbor Is. It looks like it is soldered in. The question is it lead solder?

·
Registered
4,284 Posts
Really Hawg? Well I'll be dipped in spit. I didn't know that. I sure thought they were soldered in. I've had a couple 1860 front sights replaced with taller ones but the last couple I filed the hammer notch deeper....and wider...and filed the front sight thinner.
The base of the brass blade is tapered like a wedge, they pop right out unless they've been staked.
Muskin, if something on a gun is soldered, it's likely silver solder, and that needs a higher heat to melt, as in a torch. A soldering iron tip will tell what was used.

·
Registered
4,429 Posts
Well I don't know what the short arbor Is. It looks like it is soldered in. The question is it lead solder?
On every Uberti made the rod the cylinder turns on(arbor)is too short for the hole in the barrel assembly. If you drive the wedge in too deep it can actually raise the muzzle and can even bind the cylinder against the forcing cone. You can fix it by adding shims to the front of the arbor until it's a solid fit in the hole.

·
Registered
4,284 Posts
Hawg, front brass bead sight on the Colts, Not the repros, are they threaded or pressed in?

·
Premium Member
12,361 Posts
I'll second hawgs thought on the 1851. I believe they were threaded, like a shotgun bead.

Reactions: Hawg

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
On every Uberti made the rod the cylinder turns on(arbor)is too short for the hole in the barrel assembly. If you drive the wedge in too deep it can actually raise the muzzle and can even bind the cylinder against the forcing cone. You can fix it by adding shims to the front of the arbor until it's a solid fit in the hole.
Thank you.

·
Registered
4,284 Posts
I believe that would be screwed in.
Thanks, confirms what I thought. Owner wants to keep it original like his grandma had it, which is okay with me because it wasn't going to come out anyhow.
Muskin, my apologies for a semi hijack of your thread. Somebody was making a replacement blade for your gun that was tall enough to file to point of aim, but I've wore my google trying to find it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts