The Firearms Forum banner

Uberti Model 1847 Walker .44-Caliber Revolver

2K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  soundguy 
#1 ·
Hey all, new to the forum so if this is out of place then just direct me to the right spot here.

Given the rarity of originals, I'm skeptical this is an authentic .44 Walker. But I want to leave that up to you guys to discuss. This belongs to a friend of mine, whose grandfather was in WWII (and in possession of a Luger as well) and he was big into collecting antique guns. Not much for provenance, but if he wanted to collect this then I'd imagine this has be a pretty good fake or one of his throw-aways. Your thoughts?
Wood Wood stain Hardwood Tan Stationery
Finger Tool Household hardware
Wood Hardwood Wood stain Tan Metal
Paint Wood stain Rust Lock Household hardware
Metal Iron
Metal Silver Steel
Space Rectangle Square Book
Wood Hardwood Gun Firearm Wood stain
Wood Hardwood Wood stain Tan Grey
Wood Hardwood Wood stain Bronze Metal

See less See more
#4 ·
Your pistol was proofed in 1982 at the Gardone proofing house and was imported by Navy Arms.

Hard to say who made it, there is no visible maker's touch mark or at least it isn't visible in your pictures.

I don't believe it to be a Uberti, Uberti stamps their guns with a touchmark that looks like the front view of an octagon barrel's muzzle and front sight with the letter u in the middle.
Material property Silver Office equipment Symbol

I'll agree with gvw on the price based on it's condition. If the bore is a bad as the outside it's worth even less.

Reactions: BobMcG
#5 ·
Agree with the others, one of many 'cottage industry' possibly no name italian imports thru NA.

If the bore is serviceable, chambers not pock marked, niple threads in the cyl not rusted thru and gone, and the lock fork still functioning.. you have a maybe.. max, 100$ ugly black powder gun. You could clean it up to 'in the white' and give some loving to the wood and brass and use it, and / or home re-blue it... Either way, you will have more than 100$ in it just in time to make it less ugly.. and that's IF it is still serviceable.

Otherwise, it might be worth something as parts, for someone that had an identical one.. etc.

#9 ·
I wouldn't call it a "knock-off". It is a reproduction, shooter class gun.

It has some rust growing on it. If it were mine, I'd take it apart into tiny pieces, put the wooden grips aside, and soak the metal parts in Kroil for about a week or so, and clean it up. With the rust I'm seeing - you might have to soak the cylinder with the nipples in place before trying to unscrew them. If you try forcing them the way it is now you will ruin the nipples - and maybe the cylinder as well. You can find a nipple wrench at most places that deal in black powder guns - and they are not expensive at all.

Walker style revolvers are pretty stout. Should be at least a decent shooter after you clean it up. The value should be at least $150. Not exactly a 'gold mine', but I wouldn't toss it in the trash. One thing - keep this pistol oiled to prevent future rust. Don't touch it with your bare hands unless you wipe it down with a silicone cloth or a lightly oiled clean cloth after you handle it. The salts and oils in your skin will cause rust. And don't store it in a plastic case or leather holster.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.