ugh

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 68c15, Dec 5, 2017.

1. joe45c

joe45c Well-Known Member

Got mine all done. 5 tons down in the basement! Wears me and the wife out, so we are happy when it's done!

BlueDragonLair and drymag like this.
  2. Firpo

Firpo Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Don’t mean to sound like the naive So Cal guy that I am but ARE YOU FREEKIN SERIOUS? :eek:

No way are you really putting 5 tons of pellets in your basement are you? Is that some kind of metric ton that’s really just a fraction of what I’d call one. I need a picture of that. :)

joe45c likes this.

3. Big Mak

Big Mak Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Slow and easy big boy! Don't over do it! Listen to your body. If it tells you "I'm tired"....then listen. you have many more days to accomplish what you have planned!

BlueDragonLair and joe45c like this.
  4. joe45c

joe45c Well-Known Member

No it's 5 tons! That's how they sell them in 1 ton pallets. 50 40# bags to a pallet. and we buy 5 pallets worth. I only have them put one pallet at a time on my 1/2 ton sierra p/u, so it's back and forth to town 5 times to get them. Luckily i don't have to carry them down into my basement. i have a cut out in the garage and i back my truck in i go down stairs and my wife takes them off the truck sets them in front of the cut out block and i grab them and stack them in. So far i've already burned almost one ton worth. usually run the stove till April or till i run out of pellets.

BlueDragonLair and Firpo like this.
  5. Firpo

That’s absolutely amazing Joe. You are one tough hombre. If you dropped Linda and me in that scenario I’m betting she’d keel over in about three minutes and since I have a bit more insulation :rolleyes: I would shake furiously for five minutes before turning purple and passing on to meet my maker.

6. Ibmikey99$

Ibmikey99$ Well-Known Member

Five ton is a bit much for me, but I still go through three tons each winter. I usually begin using the pellet stove in October and it is shut down in June. Like Joe my pellets are in the basement but my garage is also underground so I back in and stack them against the back wall. Every bag is then carried up the thirteen steps where it can be used a coal bucket at a time.
    Use of the central heat is reduced to those days when daytime temperatures are in the teens or below.

7. Firpo

.....so that’s about 18-19 40# bags a month. And just how much is a bag of pellets? Since you have central heat I’m guessing it’s an economical decision??

In So Cal most everyone has natural gas for heating which isn’t too expensive but then again it’s supposed to be 88 degrees tomorrow so it doesn’t get used all that much.

8. 68c15

68c15 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I got a decent night sleep then Hardee's biscuits and gravy with sides of eggs and sausage along with my home brew coffee. Then I went to work and had a good day. I even had a chance to be a "Goofy" to Curt without a word being said. After work i get home and wife has my favorite from Subway (steak and cheese) all hot and waiting. Finally I finished loading all 500 22-250's and now it's a short cruise through the internet.

Wife said tomorrow night I should just hold down the recliner. Maybe I'll take a nap before bed time. She's planning home made chicken chow mein, I'll supplement it with my special blend hot chocolate.

Sorry Mark, I've got a bed frame, head and foot boards to paint for neighbor lady this weekend. Why don't you come help me? It should be above freezing by then

joe45c, m77user and Big Mak like this.
  9. Big Mak

Big Mak Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I'd love to, soon as I retire and finish our retirement house. :)

BlueDragonLair likes this.
  10. Firpo

Will there be a breeze? I was in Minneapolis quite often a few years back and one time it was in the negative temps. Never felt negative temps before so I checked it out. Holy Crap! There was maybe an 8-10mpg breeze and I might as well have been naked. That cold just shot through my jeans.

11. Millwright

Millwright Well-Known Member

Load the .22-250 brass ! I don't shoot much of late and have a lot of loads on hand but you can never have too much ! Don't know your process, but after a bad mistake OMP ( that Remington made even better than I asked ) I've got chamber casts of my serious rifles and fabricate my loads to those dimensions and to the prevailing specs for the powder lots I've got on hand . All of this is logged, as is every round shot down this rebuilt rifle. Gonna have to sell it soon. A Remington 700 with a bull barrel, a Canjar set trigger, Harris bi-pod sitting in pretty good Remington wood w/sling . I'd like to see all of it go to someone interested in long -range varmiting !

12. Ibmikey99$

Firpo, Central heat is all electric and expensive if used indiscriminately, the pellets not only provide relatively economical warmth the ambiance is worth the effort of filling and cleaning the stove.

13. southernshooter

southernshooter Well-Known Member

Joe I’d say come down south for the winter but it’s 40 degrees this morning so likely not a great improvement. I must be one of the few in the south with all my windows open :D wait a few days it’ll like be 80+ again by next week

14. 68c15

68c15 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Millright;
    DIBS!!!

now where did I put those winning lottery numbers?

I loaded these for a buddy so him and I can do coyotes in Feb-March. He'll use 22-250 and I'll run my 6.8 with 90gr HP's

15. Ibmikey99$

I am normally done with gathering my pellets the first part of July but this year went to Texas for several months to hunt hogs ( got 42) and am one ton short.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2017
  16. rooter

rooter *VMBB Senior Chief Of Staff* Supporting Member

You can 'take this to the bank'!!!! It only gets more pronounced as you get older..perhaps you
    will even come to an age when you'll deny it openly and with all the gusto of air leaving a
    partially blown-up bollon...never could spell that word!!!!Chief

17. joe45c

joe45c Well-Known Member

My wife has the tough part of the job. before i go down cellar i help her unstack as many off the truck as i can, but we can only get so many off before they are in our way. So then she has to keep climbing in out of the p/u till all 50 bags out. for me it starts getting bad when the stack gets up over my head. i stack them to the ceiling about 7'.but i'm standing on double stacked pallets that i put down just in case i get a flood down there. Don't want 250 bags of pellets wet. That would be a mess. It seems like a tough job, but before i used to burn wood and had to throw 8 cords down there. that's all i could fit down there. The other 12 cords i'd have to throw down during the winter, and had to dig the wood out of the frozen snow. this way with the pellets we are done in one day.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
    BlueDragonLair and Firpo like this.