Uk AR

Discussion in 'AR 15 Forum' started by Jim Wilkins, Sep 15, 2020 at 7:28 PM.

1. Jim Wilkins

Jim Wilkins New Member

Hello, is there a correct way to make an AR-10 legal in England? I understand it needs to be single shot, like straight pull bolt. Remove gas tube, block gas port? I am going there next year.

tedwitt likes this.
  2. tuckerd1

tuckerd1 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator Supporting Member

3. BlackEagle

BlackEagle TFF Chaplain Supporting Member

Are you moving over, or just coming for a visit?

It would need to be permanently modified so that it is straight pull, so that you would have to pull the charging handle back between shots to eject the spent case and load a new cartridge.

If you are importing the gun because you are moving, making it UK legal may be the least of your worries. I would check for gun clubs in the area you intend to move to. If you are just visiting, that's a different story. I'm not sure what needs to happen there.

Reason for that: In order to own a gun, you need to have a Firearms Certificate issued by the police authority in the region where you will be living. In order to own a gun, you need to have a valid reason and a valid place to shoot it. If you are target shooting, that normally means you need to belong to a club. If hunting, you need to have signed permission of the landowner on file with the police, and they will have examined the land and will tell you what guns you can use to hunt that land.

I checked into bringing some of dad's guns over a number of years ago, and as desirable as it was to have those guns here, the paperwork and cost of importing them far outweighed getting my own guns over here. My brother now has custody of dad's guns.

There is a closed facebook group, Firearms-UK that has a number of people who know more about this than I do. There are also some UK gun forums.

flboots likes this.
  4. Jim Wilkins

Jim Wilkins New Member

Thanks for the forum info, I am visitor now, planning to move over, next two years. Already have firearms cert. as I have one rifle there. A good sponsor made it easy.

5. BlackEagle

BlackEagle TFF Chaplain Supporting Member

Your sponsor should be able to guide you on what is necessary to make your gun legal over here.

6. Jim Wilkins

Jim Wilkins New Member

He’s not an ar guy, but I have joined the Facebook thing. Thanks again!

BlackEagle likes this.
  7. Firpo

Firpo Well-Known Member Supporting Member

And I thought what I had to do to this poor AR to make it California Legal was ridiculous. Good luck with your endeavor.

C8A85440-DD61-4581-ABEA-09A50719ABD7.jpeg

BlackEagle, crystalphoto and howlnmad like this.
  8. howlnmad

howlnmad Old Guy Doing Things Moderator Supporting Member

And now that you're not in commiefornia anymore, you can make it un-fugly.

johnsxj, gdmoody, rawright54 and 3 others like this.