The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, is there a correct way to make an AR-10 legal in England? I understand it needs to be single shot, like straight pull bolt. Remove gas tube, block gas port? I am going there next year.

·
TFF Chaplain
18,842 Posts
Hello, is there a correct way to make an AR-10 legal in England? I understand it needs to be single shot, like straight pull bolt. Remove gas tube, block gas port? I am going there next year.
Are you moving over, or just coming for a visit?

It would need to be permanently modified so that it is straight pull, so that you would have to pull the charging handle back between shots to eject the spent case and load a new cartridge.

If you are importing the gun because you are moving, making it UK legal may be the least of your worries. I would check for gun clubs in the area you intend to move to. If you are just visiting, that's a different story. I'm not sure what needs to happen there.

Reason for that: In order to own a gun, you need to have a Firearms Certificate issued by the police authority in the region where you will be living. In order to own a gun, you need to have a valid reason and a valid place to shoot it. If you are target shooting, that normally means you need to belong to a club. If hunting, you need to have signed permission of the landowner on file with the police, and they will have examined the land and will tell you what guns you can use to hunt that land.

I checked into bringing some of dad's guns over a number of years ago, and as desirable as it was to have those guns here, the paperwork and cost of importing them far outweighed getting my own guns over here. My brother now has custody of dad's guns.

There is a closed facebook group, Firearms-UK that has a number of people who know more about this than I do. There are also some UK gun forums.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are you moving over, or just coming for a visit?

It would need to be permanently modified so that it is straight pull, so that you would have to pull the charging handle back between shots to eject the spent case and load a new cartridge.

If you are importing the gun because you are moving, making it UK legal may be the least of your worries. I would check for gun clubs in the area you intend to move to. If you are just visiting, that's a different story. I'm not sure what needs to happen there.

Reason for that: In order to own a gun, you need to have a Firearms Certificate issued by the police authority in the region where you will be living. In order to own a gun, you need to have a valid reason and a valid place to shoot it. If you are target shooting, that normally means you need to belong to a club. If hunting, you need to have signed permission of the landowner on file with the police, and they will have examined the land and will tell you what guns you can use to hunt that land.

I checked into bringing some of dad's guns over a number of years ago, and as desirable as it was to have those guns here, the paperwork and cost of importing them far outweighed getting my own guns over here. My brother now has custody of dad's guns.

There is a closed facebook group, Firearms-UK that has a number of people who know more about this than I do. There are also some UK gun forums.
Thanks for the forum info, I am visitor now, planning to move over, next two years. Already have firearms cert. as I have one rifle there. A good sponsor made it easy.

·
TFF Chaplain
18,842 Posts
Already have firearms cert. as I have one rifle there. A good sponsor made it easy.
Your sponsor should be able to guide you on what is necessary to make your gun legal over here.

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
Troy makes a pump AR and POF makes a beautiful straight pull bolt AR that is a tackdriver.

And I thought what I had to do to this poor AR to make it California Legal was ridiculous. Good luck with your endeavor.

View attachment 234040
When are you making it American now that you live in America:)??

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just a report back. I have it on pretty good authority, taking AR to UK, means no gas tube and a barrel with no gas hole, although a few have gotten thru with plugged hole. Yes, it is a straight pull deal.

·
TFF Chaplain
18,842 Posts
Just a report back. I have it on pretty good authority, taking AR to UK, means no gas tube and a barrel with no gas hole, although a few have gotten thru with plugged hole. Yes, it is a straight pull deal.
Do you have a place where you can get that done?

·
TFF Chaplain
18,842 Posts
Don't know where you are located. @goofy is a master gunsmith in upper New York State and he may have some ideas. It would probably tear him apart, though, having to emasculate a perfectly good gun. However, he has had to do some of that to make guns New York legal.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts