The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,217 Posts
Well that ought to be interesting. I've nothing against Glocks per se, and know lots of folks who've carried them both on duty and off, but also recall a Federal (non-fatal) Gun Goof report that came out in the early '90s, listing various punctured desktops, ceilings, flesh wound furrows down the sides of legs. blown-out windshields, etc. Hands down winner was the Glock series, followed by the AR-15/M-16. Last on the list (one event in Texas) was the venerable Colt SAA. Wonder what our cousins across the pond will be doing with all their now surplus Brownings.

·
Banned
5,419 Posts
LONDON (AP) - Britain's army is bidding goodbye to the Browning pistol it's used for more than 40 years, opting for faster and lighter Glock 17 pistols for its secondary sidearm.

The defense ministry said Friday it has signed an 8.5 million pound ($13.6 million) contract for more than 25,000 of the Austrian-made pistols.

It joins a host of law enforcement agencies and other militaries, including the Dutch, Norwegian and Austrian armies, opting for a Glock 17, which has a larger magazine than the Browning currently in use by the U.K. armed forces.

Britain's defense ministry said the decision to abandon the Browning came after it became increasingly expensive to maintain the steel-framed pistol as its parts - from barrels and slides to trigger mechanisms and springs - wore out........

SO where do the old ones go? :)

·
Banned
5,425 Posts
I'm just not sold on polymer parts and a hammer just makes a good click.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I'm just not sold on polymer parts and a hammer just makes a good click.
Cheaper, lighter, doesn't rust, and the parts that need strength are steel. Also high density polymers absorb impacts whereas the same abuse to aluminum or steel will bend or break. They mentioned in the article that repairing the Browning pistols is expensive and so the Glock was the obvious choice.

·
Banned
5,425 Posts
OK - give me one with a hammer to test - if I like it, I'll keep it :)

·
Premium Member
12,979 Posts
What do our guys carry
Our guys carried 1911s for 80 years. They changed to berretas and I will never understand why, but several branches have recently voted to return to the 1911 platform.

·
Registered
4,216 Posts
What do our guys carry
Standard issue is the 9mm Beretta M9, and if I'm not mistaken, SOCOM people (like Delta Force, Navy SEAL teams, Force Recon, MEU(SOC), Army Rangers, US Army Special Forces, etc), can choose their own loadouts - which is almost always dependent on the mission.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I thought the UK guys were already using the Sig 226? I thought SAS started carrying that sidearm initially back in the 1980s, as a backup to the MP5, and the rest of the UK military started carrying it?

Britain's defense ministry said the decision to abandon the Browning came after it became increasingly expensive to maintain the steel-framed pistol as its parts - from barrels and slides to trigger mechanisms and springs - wore out........
I don't really understand how it's that much more expensive to keep a Hi Power running as opposed to a Glock. Eventually, a Glock is going to wear out, too. No offense to anybody that owns Glock, but I've seen quite a few with loose chambers which will allow cases to rupture, and it always seems like Glock changes up the design and runs into problems. I think the NYPD had a big issue about 12 years ago with the extractors on theirs in about 50% of all their pistols. If price is really that big of a concern, why not buy Hi Points? I mean it isn't like they're spending their own money.

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
Standard issue is the 9mm Beretta M9, and if I'm not mistaken, SOCOM people (like Delta Force, Navy SEAL teams, Force Recon, MEU(SOC), Army Rangers, US Army Special Forces, etc), can choose their own loadouts - which is almost always dependent on the mission.

I thought the UK guys were already using the Sig 226? I thought SAS started carrying that sidearm initially, as a backup to the MP5, and the rest of them started carrying it?
sadly, this is not the case for these guys. It's M9 all the way. I hate the beretta, mine breaks every other range session, no joke. Safety fell off once, almost every spring busted, breech block cracked on me twice, had a slide get damaged on a jump rendering the thing deadlined, just always sucks. Plus, with the technique I use for immediate action usually sweeps the gun onto safe, no bueno.

Granted, they're abused, but a 1911 could easily stand up to similar torture and is 1000 times better overall. As is the case with Glock also, I think we should be rocking the glock 17; nato round and lots o bullets! But there's no external safety, so it's "dangerous in the hands of the untrained" according to the Army. Right... as if any pistol wasn't dangerous in untrained hands!

Have a buddy that was in force recon a while ago and they had 1911's, looks like the marines are going back to the good old mainstay with the new Colt contract.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.