The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I unexpectedly just won an Ideal single cavity .429 215 swc mold on flea bay for $29 + $4 shi. I thought it would go for more, $29.01 was my max bid!

I intend to try it for my Bulldog, don’t know if the .429 will work better, my casts now are .430 240 from the Lee mold...

But my questions are: (1) do I need ideal/Lyman handles or will the handles work from one of my single cav Lee’s?

(2) how much harder is it to get the steel molds up to temp? All I’ve ever used so far are the Lee aluminum molds...

Will I need to do anything differently?
Thanks...

·
Registered
17,275 Posts
Lee handles won't fit. You need Lyman. I wouldn't worry about the 429 part of the name. The 44 Russian / special / Magnum / maximum cartridge takes a nominal 429 bullet. So that's just what they named the mold. It will probably drop a 430 or 431, depending on your alloy.

·
Registered
8,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I guess I need handles now, crap. Does it have to be a specific handle set for single cavity molds or will a set work for single or double cavity if I ever buy more lymans?

And yeah I had noticed that it says “gas check”. Can it be used for .44 Special mid power loads without gcs?

·
Registered
17,275 Posts

·
Super Moderator
41,317 Posts
There is a guy on eBay who is selling a set of six cavity Lee handles and says it will also fit "some" Luman one and two cavity molds. I will go out to my reloading building in a little while and do some comparison and will let you know what I find.

·
Premium Member
13,456 Posts
I don't think so George.

Polish, if you have a Lyman or Ideal mold, for that caliber you'll need the Lyman Large handles. RCBS won't work, Lee won't work and Saeco won't work.

If yo do your part as to fit you can run that bullet easily to 1100 fps without a gas check. Elmer Keith always said gas checks were a mistake in a revolver and I agree with him.

What everyone else said about the iron blocks as compared to aluminum is true. It isn't that big a difference and you'll do fine with the Lyman unless someone has dinked the blocks around. Even so, Lyman blocks can be adjusted if they get loose and if they've been battered a little bit at the locating pins, some patient work with a piece of glass and some 220 and 320 wet or dry sandpaper and careful adjustment of the locating pins can cure a multitude of sin. Even their venting can be corrected if someone has screwed it up. Try any of that with a Lee mold....it ain't gonna happen. Lyman has always made a good mold. I'll take them over Lee every day of the week and twice on Saturday and Sunday.....and I have a lot of Lee molds.

·
Super Moderator
41,317 Posts
I went out and did some comparison and I will say that you MIGHT be able to make a set of Lee handles work but it is going to take some work. They are just built different. I thought I had some Lyman handles but they are RCBS, but I do use those RCBS handles on the RCBS, Lyman, and Lachmiller molds that I have, so I know those are interchangeable. The Lee molds and handles are kind of swaged together where the other molds have a long set screw that holds the handle and mold together.

Here is the lee mold, see how the "things" that hold the handle are made where they cannot be removed unless you drill them out, they DO NOT go all the way through the mold:

Here is a shot of the RCBS mold where I have stuck a hex wrench in the "screw" that can be removed to put the handles on:

Here are the Lee and RCBS laid out side by side, the RCBS and I am guessing the Lyman handles are noticeably different in thickness:

·
Super Moderator
28,006 Posts
I know that I can use lee molds in Lyman handles but never tried the other way around.

·
Registered
8,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So I have to drill out the pins to remove the Lee handles from the Lee mold blocks?Hhhmm...

Do you just drill out the ends that are buggered up to keep the pins in then drive them out with a punch?

Then when you reinstall the Lee blocks I guess you’d have to peen the holes again, right ? Seems like a lot of work that could’ve been solved with a set screw.

Thanks for the pics, G

·
Registered
8,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I’ve got my eyes on a few Lyman handles up for auction but I guess I’m more confused...some are “small” and others are for 2 cavity, and I guess I stay away from 4 cavity ones...

But do I need small ones since it’s a single cav or do I need the larger ones since it’s a bigger single cav mold...

And what would be a good price?

I’m tempted to keep my eye out for another cheap used single cav Lyman mold with handles even if just for a roundball I might be able to use in one of my ML rifles or revolvers...I see a .451 RB one that I think I could shoot through my .44 Traditions 1860...

·
Registered
17,275 Posts
There are Lee single cavity and Lee double cavity molds. These have the handles attached.

There are Lee six cavity molds. They do not come with handles. You have to buy them separately. These are the handles people are talking about that might work on Lyman molds. Not the regular handles. The six cavity handles.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I unexpectedly just won an Ideal single cavity .429 215 swc mold on flea bay for $29 + $4 shi. I thought it would go for more, $29.01 was my max bid!

I intend to try it for my Bulldog, don’t know if the .429 will work better, my casts now are .430 240 from the Lee mold...

But my questions are: (1) do I need ideal/Lyman handles or will the handles work from one of my single cav Lee’s?

(2) how much harder is it to get the steel molds up to temp? All I’ve ever used so far are the Lee aluminum molds...

Will I need to do anything differently?
Thanks...
As for #2, It takes longer for the mold to heat up. I just set the closed mold in the lead pot for a few, then throw four of five throw back rounds until you get the good round you want. From there on the mold stays hot as you throw rounds!!!

·
Registered
8,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Last year when I was stocking up on used molds to get ready for casting, I bought several Lee 6 cavity molds with handles, 2 for .38/.357 and one for .45 acp. So I have three of those with handles, and a couple more without, I’ll try one when I get home tomorrow (later tonight?)....I’m on the road now for a late inventory. Thanks!

·
Registered
8,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes! The handles for the Lee 6 cavity molds fit Ideal molds like they were made for each other! I don’t have to buy Lyman handles!

I’ll post pics in a new thread...

·
Super Moderator
41,317 Posts
I have an "unexpected" mold find myself and it was not from an auction. I took my car to the carwash yesterday (which is why it rained today). As I was vacuuming the back floorboard under the front seat, I found a bullet mold, myself. It is a Lyman #429421 and upon looking it up on the internet I see that it is a 245 grain semi-wadcutter for a .44 caliber.

I have no idea where it came from or how it got in my car. The strange thing is that many years ago I had a 240 grain Keith Type mold that just disappeared. I bought a Lee mold to replace the one that disappeared close to ten years ago. I know what you are thinking, that I put it in the car and forgot about it. That is where the "strange" comes in, I have only had this car for a little over two years so I did not drop it in the car to be found yesterday.

Good thing is that I now have another .44 mold and it is steel, not aluminum, and I already have handles to fit it!! I just wish I could figure out how it got in my car.

·
Super Moderator
28,006 Posts
I have an "unexpected" mold find myself and it was not from an auction. I took my car to the carwash yesterday (which is why it rained today). As I was vacuuming the back floorboard under the front seat, I found a bullet mold, myself. It is a Lyman #429421 and upon looking it up on the internet I see that it is a 245 grain semi-wadcutter for a .44 caliber.

I have no idea where it came from or how it got in my car. The strange thing is that many years ago I had a 240 grain Keith Type mold that just disappeared. I bought a Lee mold to replace the one that disappeared close to ten years ago. I know what you are thinking, that I put it in the car and forgot about it. That is where the "strange" comes in, I have only had this car for a little over two years so I did not drop it in the car to be found yesterday.

Good thing is that I now have another .44 mold and it is steel, not aluminum, and I already have handles to fit it!! I just wish I could figure out how it got in my car.
I'm pretty sure that you aquired it at the Tn get together last Sept.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts