The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have not loaded a lot of 9mm before now.

I'm trying a load of 5.3G of Alliant Unique with a Berry's plated bullet 124G FP.
I believe the load data for Unique in my reference manual goes from 5.2G -5.8G. My book does not say if this is for a cast, plated or jacketed bullets, however.

Anyway, I have weighed about 30 throws and the powder measure is throwing consistent charges.

The concern is that the case seems very full and I believe the bullet seating is compressing the powder a tad.

Is this normal, or is something out-of-whack?

Thx...

·
Registered
902 Posts
According to Berry's website they say to use low-mid range data for the same weight bullet and profile in Jacketed. I don't know what manual you pulled your recipe from, so I don't know if it's for lead or jacketed bullets. Assuming they are jacketed data I would start loading them 10% less then the low data provided. Load 5 of them, I like to add powder 0.3-0.5gr. per step up. load these till you hit the mid range data for the Jacketed bullets and take them to the range. According to Berry's they say NOT TO EXCEED 1,200 FPS. So I would shoot them and find the best accuracy lower than 1,200 FPS.

·
Banned
2,751 Posts
I have not loaded a lot of 9mm before now.

I'm trying a load of 5.3G of Alliant Unique with a Berry's plated bullet 124G FP.
I believe the load data for Unique in my reference manual goes from 5.2G -5.8G. My book does not say if this is for a cast, plated or jacketed bullets, however.

Anyway, I have weighed about 30 throws and the powder measure is throwing consistent charges.

The concern is that the case seems very full and I believe the bullet seating is compressing the powder a tad.

Is this normal, or is something out-of-whack?

Thx...
Unique is a very bulky powder and a full case is not uncommon. Compressing powder in itself will not increase pressures and is not dangerous as long as there is load data to support the charge.

Your data looks like it came from the Speer manual or Alliant's web site. The Speer data is for the GD bullet and is a bit higher than data from other manuals.

Hornady #7, 124gr bullets, Unique = 4.0gr to 5.0gr.

Sierra #5, 125gr and 130gr bullets, Unique = 4.1gr to 5.6gr.

Lyman 48, 125gr bullet , Unique = 4.5gr to 5.0gr.

Lyman 4th Edition,124gr CN Lead bullet, Unique = 4.4gr to 4.9gr.

Lyman 4th Edition, 125gr HP Lead bullet, Unique = 4.5gr to 5.0gr.

You didn't list your OAL/COAL, it makes a difference.

I would drop your 5.3gr down to 4.5gr or so and work up from there. It may still fill the case, which is OK and normal, but IMO it will be a safer place to Start.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
A case with least amount of airspace is a good thing. A 9mm case is fine with 5-6gr of common powders. I do recall unique being rather fluffy. If you are absolutely confident in the charge weights you are A-OK.

·
Registered
902 Posts
He is using berry's plated bullets, not jacketed bullets. From what I know about plated bullets "and I don't know much" you are not supposed to run the charge over mid charge for jacketed bullets. On my hornady 8th edition manual page 899 lists 124gr fmj fp with a col of 1.050" starting load of 4.0gr using unique pushing 900 fps and a max load of 5.0gr pushing 1,100 fps. I keep mine right at 1,000 fps so that would be around 4.5gr. If you start at 5.2gr then you would be around 1,175-1,200 fps. That's at the bullets max you would want to push it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.