The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Buddy just inherited a universal carbine from his FIL. It has the metal hand guard and a funky short plastic mag. I believe from his description it may be a 3rd generation gun. The information on the net ranges from pretty good may need to replace some small parts to “it’ll blow up in your face if it does fire”.
It will be a couple days before I can examine it get serial numbers etc.
If it is 3rd generation is it worth the effort to sort it out?

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
While the Universal M1 Carbines are not desirable to M1 Carbine collectors - they are often great little shooters. Most of the 'desirability' of the WW2 made GI Carbines is that they were made during - and for - the war. I'm not too sure if posting a serial number will be of much help. If in good mechanical condition I sure wouldn't hesitate to fire it. The "It will blow up" is hooey from someone who likely never handled one.

·
Registered
6,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
While the Universal M1 Carbines are not desirable to M1 Carbine collectors - they are often great little shooters. Most of the 'desirability' of the WW2 made GI Carbines is that they were made during - and for - the war. I'm not too sure if posting a serial number will be of much help. If in good mechanical condition I sure wouldn't hesitate to fire it. The "It will blow up" is hooey from someone who likely never handled one.
Pics look like new. Has a silly 5? shot plastic mag and a 30 round aftermarket that looks sketchy. Need to find him a source for some 15 shot GI mags that don’t cost too much. Just looked.....$39 seems a little steep :oops:
Any one used KCI mags in their carbine, they get good reviews.

·
Super Moderator
42,676 Posts
There is a place called Gunmag Warehouse (.com) that sells several different manufacturers .30 Caliber M1 Carbine magazines. They range in price from $11.99 up to $40.99 each. I bought some aftermarket 30 round Beretta 92F magazines from them last year. Don't remember what brand they were but they work fine in my CX4 Storm.

·
Premium Member
2,280 Posts
I have a Universal carbine for 8 years . Bought used also . Have fired countless rounds threw it and all the inside parts still look fine . I have only used the 15 round mags and never had a issue but have heard even with the G.I. carbines the 30 round mags were a bit sketchy on jams . Have heard the stories about early carbines didn't hold up as well as later ones , Mine is in the last 25% range when made .

·
11,742 Posts
I have a Universal carbine for 8 years . Bought used also . Have fired countless rounds threw it and all the inside parts still look fine . I have only used the 15 round mags and never had a issue but have heard even with the G.I. carbines the 30 round mags were a bit sketchy on jams . Have heard the stories about early carbines didn't hold up as well as later ones , Mine is in the last 25% range when made .
PM me where I might one if you know where please.

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
Pics look like new. Has a silly 5? shot plastic mag and a 30 round aftermarket that looks sketchy. Need to find him a source for some 15 shot GI mags that don’t cost too much. Just looked.....$39 seems a little steep :oops:
Any one used KCI mags in their carbine, they get good reviews.
Don't assume that GI magazines will fit that Carbine or visa-versa. There are some Universal Carbines that require specific magazines. I happen to have ended up with 2 of those odd balls while I was buying magazines for 2 WW2 GI Carbines - and they won't function with the GI Carbines.

·
Registered
6,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Don't assume that GI magazines will fit that Carbine or visa-versa. There are some Universal Carbines that require specific magazines. I happen to have ended up with 2 of those odd balls while I was buying magazines for 2 WW2 GI Carbines - and they won't function with the GI Carbines.
Thanks anyway to know or just buy one test mag and cross fingers?

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
Don't assume your Universal WON'T take GI magazines. They were all designed to accept them. If somone's didn't-there was a problem with that particular gun or magazine(s).
There are many substandard carbine magazines out there.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts