The Firearms Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know, it's not an original WWII, but it works well and is a hoot to shoot. My problem is magazines. I have a couple of original 10 rd mags that came with the gun, that seem to work better than the 30 rd cap aftermarket mags I've also been using. The aftermarket mags worked well....once.. After that, I start getting an ejection jam about every 4-5 round fired. Is the problem with the mags or something else? If the mags, is there anything I can do to make them more reliable. Thanks in advance for the advice.
Mart

·
Registered
18,051 Posts
I do not know this of my own experience, but this is what I have read.

The original M1 carbine came with a straight 15 round magazine. When they made it fully automatic - the M2 carbine - 15 rounds was not enough so they came up with this curved 30 round magazine. But this magazine was too heavy for the magazine latch. So they redesigned the magazine latch to work with the bigger heavier magazine.

If your gun - whether it's an aftermarket gun or an original GI gun - has an original design magazine latch, it may not work correctly with the 30 round magazine. Replacing it with an M2 magazine latch should solve the problem.

·
Premium Member
3,731 Posts
I will second they are a blast to shoot . I never have bought 30 round mags for mine but have 8 of the 15 rounders . Never had issue with any of them . Got couple friends have original M1 carbines . Both have bought 30 rounder mags and have same issue you have . Read many shooters having same issue you got . Heard this and may be just one them things that get passed along like the Garand ping getting soldiers killed but something about the 30 round mag being longer and heavier causing them to bind and not seat right . Will have to pass along Alpo's suggestion to them .

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
I guess I lucked out. My Inland shoots 10, 15 and 30's equally well. One of my favorite firearms.

My Son wants it. 🤔 Ain't happening. 😉😂

·
Registered
9,119 Posts
I will second they are a blast to shoot . I never have bought 30 round mags for mine but have 8 of the 15 rounders . Never had issue with any of them . Got couple friends have original M1 carbines . Both have bought 30 rounder mags and have same issue you have . Read many shooters having same issue you got . Heard this and may be just one them things that get passed along like the Garand ping getting soldiers killed but something about the 30 round mag being longer and heavier causing them to bind and not seat right . Will have to pass along Alpo's suggestion to them .
A little off into the weeds here, but you brought up the old "Garand ping" getting GIs killed in combat. Say there is a fire fight, 5 or 6 GIs dug in and firing at the bad guys maybe 50 - 100 yards away. One of the GIs fires shot number 8 and the enbloc clip goes "ping". The bad guys hear it and rush the GIs? I don't buy it.

How is anyone going to hear a little "ping" during a fire fight when everybody is blasting away? I think this was a tall tale. Besides, reloading a clip into a Garand only takes a second or two. I cannot imagine a Nazi or a Nip rushing 50 to 100 yards to bayonet a GI reloading his M1. When someone relates this I always give them the ole Fish Eye....

·
Registered
31 Posts
If it is working well with the short mags then the long mags would seem to be the problem and the mag catch upgrade may fix it.. On any Universal carbine that starts acting wonky I suggest pulling it out of the stock and checking that the welds on the operating slide are intact - they are known for cracking and if not completely broken through they can slow the action speed enough to cause occasional ejection issues. While you are there, might as well replace the recoil springs especially if the ones it has are the originals.

·
Registered
5 Posts
A little off into the weeds here, but you brought up the old "Garand ping" getting GIs killed in combat. Say there is a fire fight, 5 or 6 GIs dug in and firing at the bad guys maybe 50 - 100 yards away. One of the GIs fires shot number 8 and the enbloc clip goes "ping". The bad guys hear it and rush the GIs? I don't buy it.

How is anyone going to hear a little "ping" during a fire fight when everybody is blasting away? I think this was a tall tale. Besides, reloading a clip into a Garand only takes a second or two. I cannot imagine a Nazi or a Nip rushing 50 to 100 yards to bayonet a GI reloading his M1. When someone relates this I always give them the ole Fish Eye....
Right. And just because one GI is out doesn't mean they all are.

·
Super Moderator
46,821 Posts
I actually did not know that a 10 round magazine was available. I have an I.B.M. Carbine and I have a 5 round mag that I bought aftermarket because at the time I wanted to hunt with it and only three rounds was allowed in Georgia. I have several 15 and 30 round magazines with some of them still wrapped in the original wax paper.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If it is working well with the short mags then the long mags would seem to be the problem and the mag catch upgrade may fix it.. On any Universal carbine that starts acting wonky I suggest pulling it out of the stock and checking that the welds on the operating slide are intact - they are known for cracking and if not completely broken through they can slow the action speed enough to cause occasional ejection issues. While you are there, might as well replace the recoil springs especially if the ones it has are the originals.
Thanks! Replaced the springs about a year ago, and the welds are fine too. Going to have to look for that mag catch upgrade. You wouldn't have the part number by chance, would you?

·
Registered
18,051 Posts
This is the original M1 mag catch.

And this is the M2 catch.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts