The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I snatched a bunch of unjacketed lead 9mm rounds from Cabela's the other morning at a great deal without figuring there might be an issue. My cousin informed me that the Glock user manual says never to use unjacketed lead in stock Glock barrels. Can anyone elaborate on this one? My other 9mm is a S&W 5946. Does anyone know if the rounds will be a problem through that barrel also?

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
Yeah, Glocks will lead up. The S&W will be fine.

·
Banned
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is this a big enough problem that even shooting a few at a time and cleaning well afterwards is ill-advised? Basically I'd just like to make it through these rounds and won't buy them again.

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
Is this a big enough problem that even shooting a few at a time and cleaning well afterwards is ill-advised? Basically I'd just like to make it through these rounds and won't buy them again.
Don't know; I don't like Glocks. I do like cast bullets for handguns, though. They are always the cheapest option.

Cleaning lead out of a barrel can be a pain. If I were you, I'd just shoot them in the S&W. And I'd trade the Glock for something nicer. ;):D:D:D

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
I am not a Glock owner, but I know a bunch of guys that have em and shoot cast, plated, and jacketed reloads through them.

The warning against using unplated lead bullets in a polygonal rifled barrel is one to strongly keep in mind.

The key is the hardness of the bullet.
If the bullets are labeled "hard-cast" you might be good to go. Keep velocities under 1000fps to minimize leading. Check frequently for lead buildup. Some loads will be clean shooting, some will start leading after only a couple rounds. Each load and each gun needs to be treated differently.

If they are dead-soft lead, like the Hornady swaged lead bullets, then they will clog up poly rifling very quickly...although they tend to lead up pretty much any rifling pretty fast too.
It doesn't take very many rounds of a pure-lead (like most all of the swaged bullets on the market) at all to lead up a poly-rifled barrel and as the bore clogs up, pressures start to go sky-high real fast.

Back a few years, there were some problems with severely leaded barrels bursting open because of excessive leading. That is why Glock specifically put the lead bullet warning in their manual.
But...most every maker out there has a little blurb in their manual about not firing reloaded ammo in their firearms. It's a CYA policy that our sue-happy society forced on them.

Next time try to stick with plated or jacketed bullets.
To be safe, I would probably just run those only through your S&W. But if you are concientious about it they might work in your Glock as well.

·
Banned
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the detailed info. I think I'll stick with using them in the Smith. It's only 600 rounds anyway. I can be done with them in a few sessions.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I shoot lead through my CZ 82's and know others that do. It is a ploy barrel. Have not had any issues, I just run a Chore Boy brass cleaning pad through it when ever I come back from shooting. Just don't load your loads real hot to keep the fps down. I would sell the Glock and get a real gun :).I use Missouri bullets that have a brinnell hardness of 18

·
Banned
2,751 Posts
I had a Glock 23. I like to save money so I like to shoot lead. I purchased a Lone Wolf barrel with standard rifling for a hundred bucks, problem solved.

·
Garandaholic
9,512 Posts
I guess I'll have to add my .02 and also upset all the "Glockies" out there. Trade that Glock in. Preferably for a Sig.

·
Banned
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I actually cancelled the order. When I placed it, the ammo showed in stock. Today it still hadn't shipped and showed as backordered. I figured with these issues I'd just cancel.

Oh, and the Glock isn't going anywhere. It's my baby. ;) I've been carrying and shooting it for too long to learn a new gun now.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Here's an idea; load and shoot 10. Check the barrel for leading. Shoot 10 more, check for leading and so on. Ive read several accounts on both sides of the issue (some shoot hundreds of rounds of lead in Glocks with no probs., and some declare leading is dangerous and immediate [?])...

·
Registered
110 Posts
Gunmakers hate handloads, they cause trouble and hassle. One way they try to limit handloads in their pistols is to forbid lead bullets. You should see some of the messed up guns that come into Browning as a result of handloads! (The #2 mess is plugged barrels and #3 seems to be shooting a 308 in a 25-06. If its a commercial 308, not a 7,62x51, the bullet swedges down and the shooter is unhurt. Usualy, the rifle just needs a new extractor or bolt head. The moral: If you are going to do something really stupid, do it in a Browning and survive. Max

·
Registered
609 Posts
If you visit the Glock forums people who know will tell you shooting cast lead in a glock barrel is not a big issue. ...just watch for leading at every 200 or so shots.

Many folks do use after market barrels in Glocks when shooting lead cast bullets. These are without poly rifling.

One other option is to use plated bullets (non-jacketed) which are not too pricey.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Glocks can shoot lead safely IF you know how to size the cast bullet properly for your factory barrel, and typically off the shelf lead won't get you there... if not, then get an after market barrel for $125 and then you have no worries

·
Registered
502 Posts
I was issued a Glock 17 in the middle 1990s. I read the manual from cover to cover. That manual did not mention lead bullets at all. There WAS however, a prohibition against use of any ammunition not factory made - no reloads of any sort. (It was a 'company' pistol, so I never shot anything but issue ammo through it.)

I also own (my own) two Heckler & Koch pistols with actual polygonal rifling - as opposed to the rather odd and NOT polygonal rifling of the Glocks. (Yes, I know Glock claims they have polygonal rifling. Check out a high school geometry book for the definition of polygon and compare it to the inner profile of any Glock barrel.) No one ever talks about not shooting lead in Heckler & Koch pistols. I never have figured out why.

I shoot a fair amount of lead projectiles through my H&Ks with no discernible problems.

Frankly, any pistol that cannot be safely fired with lead bullets is very poorly designed.

I've asked this before and repeat it now: If anyone has a Glock manual which specifically forbids use of lead bullets, please scan it and attach it to a response post. I'd really like to see one.

·
Registered
307 Posts
The OPs order was cancelled, so this really doesn't make any difference I guess. I like Glocks fine and currently own 2. While they aren't my favorite handgun, they are tough as nails and reliable. For a long time I have shot lead bullets out of two 9mm and a 45 acp with factory barrels without any leading issues. However that does not mean that another gun with the same or different bullets will shoot so cleanly. If one wants to try shooting lead through their factory-barreled Glock, educate yourself by reading all you can (there are some good discussions and recommendations online (e.g., Brian Enos and Glock Talk) and then proceed with caution.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Airborne, Have two Glocks a M-17 9mm & M-36 45 ACP that I have fired thousands of my cast bullets out of. Have never had a leading problem. Keep hearing this being reported but have never seen any proof.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts