The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
39,828 Posts
Kinda/sorta reminds me of a LEE Ram Prime die (used for seating primers), with that place of top to attach a shell holder! That little thing on the right has me confused, though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kinda/sorta reminds me of a LEE Ram Prime die (used for seating primers), with that place of top to attach a shell holder! That little thing on the right has me confused, though.
Yeah, you could be right, yet the fact that a 223 case fits so well into the “die’ has me thinking it could have something to do with bullet seating. The “holder” does not fit easily into the upper part of the die;certainly MUCH tighter than a shell holder would fit into the top of a press ram.

·
Premium Member
12,225 Posts
The shell holder looking thing isn't a shell holder. It goes in the press ram and there should be a rod with a spring and a cup that fits the hole in it that goes up through the die to seat the primer. There's large and small primer rods and holders. Shell holders should fit the die. Looks just like my RCBS press primer.

Reactions: howlnmad

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The shell holder looking thing isn't a shell holder. It goes in the press ram and there should be a rod with a spring and a cup that fits the hole in it that goes up through the die to seat the primer. There's large and small primer rods and holders. Shell holders should fit the die. Looks just like my RCBS press primer.
Thanks for the insight! Sure seems like a slow process!

·
Premium Member
12,225 Posts
It is and, you have to handle every primer which makes for a chance to foul one though I never had it happen. I went to the RCBS hand held primer...decades ago. I don't think I've used the press priming since.

Reactions: BlackEagle

·
Super Moderator
39,828 Posts
This is what the Lee "ram prime" looks like:

Picture was copied from the internet so not great quality, but you get the idea!

·
Premium Member
12,225 Posts
Looks like the same principle.

·
Administrator
11,868 Posts
Well I'll be a monkeys uncle! I have the priming rod holder. I always wondered what it was. I don't know where it came from. I've never had the whole kit.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts