The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This was in my fathers collection years ago and nothing is really known about it. It is stamped Remington Armory 1917. But there are no caliber marking or anything. Anyone know what this is?

Attachments

·
Banned
701 Posts
Made by remington. They were contracted to make them for them. I have one that was made in france.

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
A little more than the standard Russian Mosin, but whoever chopped the stock took care of that. Still a nice piece depending on bore condition.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Sporterised it's not worth much, the floorplate appears to have been on at least two different rifles before this one. Does the bolt number match the barrel serial? By any chance does it have an SA in a box stamped on the barrel near the other markings? Many of these rifles served in multiple armies over their lifetime. It might be worth restoring if a useable stock could be found. At least they didn't cut the barrel.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Well, you could certainly rebarrel it, but the bolt face is different between 7.62X54r and .30-06. I'm not sure just how it would work.
The mosin nagants of the 1917 production run have a lot of writeups in my search engine. Apparently the Russian Revolution disolved the buyers so there was no Russia left to buy them. Russia ceased to exist after 1917 so there sat a bunch of rifles all dressed up and no place to go. There is mention of some of the 1917 mosin nagants having been rebarreled to 39-06. The owner of the example here in the foto says there are no markings on the barrel whuch intrigues me because I have Remington barrels even older than 1917 that are clearly marked. Thus I wondered if his example was among those 1917s that got rebarreled to 30-06.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The mosin nagants of the 1917 production run have a lot of writeups in my search engine. Apparently the Russian Revolution disolved the buyers so there was no Russia left to buy them. Russia ceased to exist after 1917 so there sat a bunch of rifles all dressed up and no place to go. There is mention of some of the 1917 mosin nagants having been rebarreled to 39-06. The owner of the example here in the foto says there are no markings on the barrel whuch intrigues me because I have Remington barrels even older than 1917 that are clearly marked. Thus I wondered if his example was among those 1917s that got rebarreled to 30-06.
That could very well be. I did some further research and found out that there were indeed, many rebarred to .30-06. I don't have any Russian 7.62 around to compare to a US service cartridge, so I can't say for certain just how the bolt would extract/eject a shell. Easy enough to try and chamber a dummy round and see if it fits.

Shame about that rifle though, it would be worth a little bit of money if still original.

·
Registered
44 Posts
it's a white Russian. I used to have one made by Winchester and Westinghouse. beware bannerman rebarrled a bunch of them and that's all they did. I would take it to a gun smith and have the cal. confirmed . most of the major American ammo. companies sold 7.62x54 up in to the 1950s . shame it got chopped up.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Aim Surplus is selling complete 91/30 stocks now.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts